GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick query, in general on the 1800 which tire wears down first and by about how many miles? Not interested in brands, just general replacement intervals.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Usually rear first. Mileage varies by riding style, road surfaces, etc. I get 15K miles from a set of MC tires.

·
Registered
19,062 Posts
I replace both at the same time.
On all my vehicles

·
Registered
871 Posts
tire wear

I found no matter what tire brand I used I usually get 4 to 5 thousand more miles from the front than the back

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found no matter what tire brand I used I usually get 4 to 5 thousand more miles from the front than the back
Thank you, got a nail in my 3500mile rear so after replacing it I may come out about even in the mileage department.

R

·
0 Posts
I replace both at the same time.
On all my vehicles
You really should of gone to work for a tire manufacturer. If you get a flat on the rear with 5000 miles on it do you replace both tires too? :shrug:

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
3 rears =2 fronts

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
I get about 12K on the rear and then change both... the front is never completely run down. Considering it's the main braking tire, I see no point of running it down to the nubs... and if the bike is in the shop, might as well replace both...

·
Registered
546 Posts
Riding one up, my front was just replaced at 11,350 miles but the rear is good for another couple of thousand. These were the factory tires.

·
Registered
160 Posts
The rear tire will usually get to the wear indicators or wear out before the front. This is true for most motorcycles...however, the front radial tire on many 1800's may cup so badly that it has to be replaced earlier than the tread would otherwise indicate. Tires are probably the most discussed issue on this board...except for crush washers!
2 Questions - Just purchased a used 2008. has 8500 miles on original tires. 1) How long do I have left before change (approximately) 2) Since I'm new to the Goldwing and learning from you all and your posts:bow:, What is a Crush Washer?:shrug:

·
Registered
354 Posts
Road Kill, I get 14K on the front and 12-13K on the rear till the factory replacement limit. Don't hot dog the bike so conversative use of tires. Normally replace both at same time.

·
Registered
477 Posts
My front tire wears faster than my rear. I think its due to my using the front brake more than the rear and the fact that the thread depth on a new front tire is about half that of the rear tire.

·
Registered
499 Posts
On my Avon Venoms, I usually get around 21,000 front and 11,000 rear. About a 2:1 ratio.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
On the GL1800 Gold Wing, rear tire wear seems to be in direct coorelation to the right wrist activity (I ain't talking about Hustler magazine reviews either).

·
Registered
747 Posts
I'm at 9,000 miles on the OEM's and the front is looking worn while the back is just fine. I see no way for me to have the front tire outlast the rear.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Quick query, in general on the 1800 which tire wears down first and by about how many miles? Not interested in brands, just general replacement intervals.

Before switching to a car tire rear and bias front I got 5 to 6000 miles
out of a SET" of tires ( I was replacing my tires about evey 2 weeks
with motorcycle tires)

Now on Kuhmo 195/55-16 run flat rear and Michelin Pilot GT 130/70-
18 front I'm good for 14 to 15000 miles per set.

·
Registered
19,062 Posts
You really should of gone to work for a tire manufacturer. If you get a flat on the rear with 5000 miles on it do you replace both tires too? :shrug:

Steve. Yes I do. No compromises.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts