GL1800Riders Forums banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Just for the record, I will be changing the tire. I have, in my garage, a tire I took off at about 4,000 miles. My intent was to keep it and use it when I needed a new trie and I was not going to do a long distance ride. Its still there.

I went out and measured the tread depth and found that the tread depth in the center area was 4/32.

Here is a picture of the tire.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Just for the record, I will be changing the tire. I have, in my garage, a tire I took off at about 4,000 miles. My intent was to keep it and use it when I needed a new trie and I was not going to do a long distance ride. Its still there.

I went out and measured the tread depth and found that the tread depth in the center area was 4/32.

Here is a picture of the tire.

View attachment 365252
That’s an option. Change it now, and have another mostly bald tire when your trip is over.

I have to take my wheel and new tire to a shop to have them swapped. Too much hassle to mess with used tires that will get shot in a month or 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
339 Posts
I'm like you, Onthefence. To each his own. If someone told me I could have endless free tires for life like this old squared-off example, I wouldn't do it. Their fall-in to corners is very poor, compromising handling and cornering, and the effort to change them out frequently b/c they will be finished in a few thousand miles is not acceptable to me. Of course, this is all personal preference and budget- related. Everyone's entitled to do as suits them.

·
Registered
5,801 Posts
I have a 2015 Goldwing. It has a Bridgestone G704 Radial as the rear tire. It seems to me that the way the wear indicators and tread design are laid out its very hard for me to determine remaining tread life.

So, the question is, if you had a tire (as shown in the picture) and were planning a 2,000 mile trip, would you replace it or keep it for the trip. This tire has about 8,000 miles on it at the time of the picture. View attachment 364926
I would definitely replace. Remember the all the wear bar so not wear evenly one wear bar you show is ok to ride to the coffee shop a couple times a week the others may be worst. As other member stated on a wet raining road is a problem . Dont play with this the danger Could be catastrophic and simply isn't worth. A couple of weeks of 50 mile rides never two thousand mile ride. That's very bad situation. You can change it locally for a great price. If you're on the road changing it which would be pretty soon. You're going to get the highest price and you won't get the tire you want. And you're going to lose a day. On your trip.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts