GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading about how the OEM tires, especially the rear tire, only lasts for about 7-8000 miles. Are there other brands/models tires that are of a harder compound that will last longer?

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Dunlop tires may last the longest but quite a few riders don't like them in the rain.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not getting many responses. I thought considering how so many people have complained about the short tread life of the OEM tires, there would be a lot more responses...

·
Registered
533 Posts
Not getting many responses. I thought considering how so many people have complained about the short tread life of the OEM tires, there would be a lot more responses...
Perhaps if you had posted in the 2018+ section instead of the "Tech" section you would get a lot more views and replies from folks that have those model year Wings.

·
Registered
146 Posts
On my 2018 I have about 9700 miles so far and Based on the tread I have left i’m guessing I will get about 12000 miles or so. This is about the same mileage I got on my previous wing. I run 38 lbs in the front and 41 rear and I have Dunlop’s.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would think with the new Wing being a couple of years old by now that someone has found a dual compound tire that lasts much longer than the OEM tire. If I have to replace the rear tire every 7-8K miles, I'm probably not getting a Wing...

·
Registered
16,487 Posts
Tire service life varies HUGELY per individual circumstances. I see my 2018 to be wearing the tires at a rate very similar to how my 2002 did before I Traxxionized it. I have yet to modify the 2018. I have Bridgestone front and a rear MC Bridgestone in reserve. I have "another" type of tire on the rear right now and it will go a LONG WAY, but does tend to cause the front to wear a bit more quickly.

prs

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
I would think with the new Wing being a couple of years old by now that someone has found a dual compound tire that lasts much longer than the OEM tire. If I have to replace the rear tire every 7-8K miles, I'm probably not getting a Wing...
It's not the Wing, it's the tires that are produced in particular, combined with how you ride. My brother rides a Harley and his wife's biggest complaint is they're changing rear tires every year. If you're only running to the corner store, 20,000 miles is a possibility. If you ride like most, or ride a bit spirited, that 7-8,000 miles is completely normal. Dunlop's or Stones are both excellent brands, but wear in similar fashion. If you want to improve tire mileage, either slow down or darkside it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm not really seeing the types of responses I was hoping for...for example, if you go with a xxxxx tire, you will get twice the mileage of the OEM tires...apparently there is no such tire?

·
Registered
6,551 Posts
I have found that the rear tire on my 2018 last about the same as it did with my 2003 wing..around 11k miles...but the new Bridgestone front tire used on the 2018 compared to the old G709 Bridgestone used on my old wing didn't last as long. I would get 15k miles out of the front G709 but only got 11500 miles from the new Bridgestone front tire on the 2018...tire wore evenly with no cupping though...anyways its hard to do better than the Bridgestone G709 so I put a G709 on the front of my 2018 to see how it compares.

·
Registered
16,487 Posts
I'm not really seeing the types of responses I was hoping for...for example, if you go with a xxxxx tire, you will get twice the mileage of the OEM tires...apparently there is no such tire?

By golly, you have it right now. There no such MC tire for the new Wing.

prs

·
Love The DCT
11,379 Posts
There are too many variables especially those that are under the control of the rider to say that XXX tire will get twice the mileage of the OEM tires. For instance, Dunlop’s commercial for the Elite 4 tire claims you can cross the U.S. 6 times with its Elite 4 motorcycle tires. Does that apply to every single rider that has Elite 4 tires on their bike? I don’t think so.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Ok I only have a 02, but tide fully loaded bags and often with a trailer and my E-3/E-4s have routinely hey me 17k and I'm heavier and loaded. Nothing modified with only new springs in the front. I run 41/42 psi front/rear. I of course don't have sport mode but don't baby my bike. Could it be new 18 riders have a bit more throttle fun while the village is new, I would for sure and maybe my tires would receive more abuse. Can't wait to find out but my experience is of you run a tire at lower psi it will ride nice but wear faster.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
78 Posts
I don't understand how some folks get such a long service life. I ride my 2018 very gently in a situation where I seldom exceed 50 and my rear tire is worn down to almost nothing at 8,000 miles. This is the OEM Bridgestone. The front is only a little better.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts