GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
I'm not really seeing the types of responses I was hoping for...for example, if you go with a xxxxx tire, you will get twice the mileage of the OEM tires...apparently there is no such tire?
The tire like the response you seek is not a reality. Maybe BT 45. The 709 and the E4 are some of, if not the best front tires on the market. There just isn't a magic tire that best these two by any kind of margin. Tire wear is just a part of motorcycle ownership, no matter the brand. I run a Pirelli P1 CT on the rear of my bike and have a little over 14,000 miles on it, others here run the same tire and wear out a couple a year. Your call, good luck.

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
15,600 miles on my original Bridgestones and not at the wear bars yet, I expect to get 18-20k from them.

Which model Bridgestones are these?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I don't understand how some folks get such a long service life. I ride my 2018 very gently in a situation where I seldom exceed 50 and my rear tire is worn down to almost nothing at 8,000 miles. This is the OEM Bridgestone. The front is only a little better.
Another factor may be that some states or areas of the country are harder on tires. I’ve heard (but I don’t know this for a fact) that road surfaces in Texas causes faster tire wear. Add blistering Texas heat to that and...

I have found that tire vendors have the best info about which tires provide the best wear, or grip, or road noise, etc.

·
Registered
565 Posts
By golly, you have it right now. There no such MC tire for the new Wing.

prs
I don't understand how some folks get such a long service life. I ride my 2018 very gently in a situation where I seldom exceed 50 and my rear tire is worn down to almost nothing at 8,000 miles. This is the OEM Bridgestone. The front is only a little better.
Road surface you normally ride on makes quite a bit of difference also. Some that have very course pavement surface (sun and heat pulls the asphalt away and leaves sharp aggregate) will tell you that eats tires much faster than smoother/cooler concrete, etc. Sooo many variables.
Edit: not sure how I quoted the previous posts, it was not intentional. Also I almost repeated the advice above. Sorry.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
My 2018 DCT came with a Dunlop and I now have 8K on it and it is shot.....down well into to the wear bars. Front tire still good for a few more thousand.

No complaints on the tire except quick wear....

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Mine came with Dunlops, very happy with the performance/handling, replaced them at 12,500 miles as I was going on a trip...could have lasted another 1K....now on the Stones (about $150.00 less than the Dunlops)

·
Registered
654 Posts
It's really a question that's impossible to answer. People have dramatically different riding styles. Different parts of the country have different type road surfaces. Some wear tires out quickly. On my older wings, I got 5000-6000 miles on my rear tire. On my 2018 I get 7000 to 8000, but I've lost 70 lbs., my wife passed away , and I now ride alone. She only weighed 110 lbs., but my losing 70, her not riding, and the bike is 80 lbs. lighter means around a 250 - 270 lb. lighter load. I'm sure that makes a difference. I've used Dunlop, Avon, car tires, and others, but I like the Bridgestone tires the best no matter how long they last. But other peoples opinions are just as good or better than mine.

There's just too many variables. I hope you find your answer, but I don't think there's a one tire fits all answer. Sorry.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I would think with the new Wing being a couple of years old by now that someone has found a dual compound tire that lasts much longer than the OEM tire. If I have to replace the rear tire every 7-8K miles, I'm probably not getting a Wing...
You will get more miles than that grampi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I'm not really seeing the types of responses I was hoping for...for example, if you go with a xxxxx tire, you will get twice the mileage of the OEM tires...apparently there is no such tire?
AFAIK, there are only 2 tire makers with sizes to fit the new GL. Bridgestone and Dunlop OEMs, and a new Dunlop Elite 4. I am happy with my Bridgestones, even though the rear lasted about 8,500 miles. The front will make at least 12K. I prefer spirited riding over saving a few bucks on tire life.

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
yea, yea, yea...lots of indication of the variables involved on tire wear.

However, I believe this thread would inquire of those whom have used tires within their praxis: What are the results?
IE: suppose that you a 'spirited' rider and typically ride on gravel with a 300 pound wife, then, the inquiry suggests you share which tires lasted the longest for you, and which had the best grip on the gravel road.

if you ride on smooth road, solo, and you are 98 lbs and anorexic, then tell us which tires have best suited you.

No one would suggest all conditions apply to everyone. But given the conditions you ride in, what is the best wear/grip tire YOU have experienced

·
Registered
18,582 Posts
I got 8-10K on my 2005 and 2010 Goldwing and I get 10K on my 2018. A motorcycle is not a car and usually get about 1/4 of the mileage of a cars tire life. Most motorcycles are less. Sport bikes are usually 4-8K. Mileage will vary on the Goldwing due to

1) climate
2) road condition
3) amount of air in the tires
4) type of road
5) riders riding style

I you want over 20K+ per set of tires my suggestion is to buy a car because the Wing will vary from 5-15K depending on the factors listed

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I have an 18 DCT Tour, I have the suspension set on the lowest setting and I weigh 240# and only ride 1 up. I have the original Bridgestone tires on and have 18,500 miles on them. always keep the air at the factory 36 front and 41 rear. trying to go toward 20,000 miles and not to the wear bars yet

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
It looks like my concerns were not valid. Seems most of you are getting plenty of mileage out of the OEM tires...thanks for all the input!

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
I got 8-10K on my 2005 and 2010 Goldwing and I get 10K on my 2018. A motorcycle is not a car and usually get about 1/4 of the mileage of a cars tire life. Most motorcycles are less. Sport bikes are usually 4-8K. Mileage will vary on the Goldwing due to

1) climate
2) road condition
3) amount of air in the tires
4) type of road
5) riders riding style

I you want over 20K+ per set of tires my suggestion is to buy a car because the Wing will vary from 5-15K depending on the factors listed
Very insightful, I did not know that

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
The thing that hasn't been mentioned ( maybe I missed it) is what mode you are riding in. I'd bet quite a lot that if you ride in rain mode you won't have to buy rubber nearly as often as you will if you ride in sport mode.

Richard

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've been reading about how the OEM tires, especially the rear tire, only lasts for about 7-8000 miles. Are there other brands/models tires that are of a harder compound that will last longer?
I have changed to a biased ply Dunlop Elite front and back. They have a higher load rating as I am always 2 up and sometimes pulling a Trailor. They seem to be more responsive in turns, I feel the little bumps more and the big ones less. I’m happy with them. The stock rear lasted 7k and I have 10k on these now and they’re about half worn out. They’re cupped some but no worse than the others were which makes more noise and a little front wobble at about 30 but no other speed 2013 gl1800.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts