GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a 2007 my question concerns tire wear. Previous owner had installed Dunlop E3. I want to go on a 1000 - 1200 mile round trip. Salt Lake City UT - Durango, CO

When I measured them with a tire depth gauge it showed 3/32 remaining at the center of the tire (front and rear tires). Common sense says to replace the tires but I have run out of time. Should that 3/32 of an inch last and get me back home?

I don't own a trailer the bike will be lightly packed.

Thanks
Ivan

·
Registered
540 Posts
Ivan, that's getting down there, and the last bit of remaining tread goes away fast. There's a Honda dealer in Durango. Could you not have them install a new set while you're there? Drop your bike off, do something cool in Durango for a couple hours and hit the road. Just an idea.

·
Registered
191 Posts
It depends on your right wrist and how fast and hard you twist the right grip. For my normal tire wear, using E3 and E4 Dunlop's, I usually get 1,500 miles per 1/32 tire tread. I would go on a 1200 mile ride with 3/32 tread. Just be mindful if it rains to ride accordingly.

E3 came with 9/32 of tread. How many miles on the tires, divided by the tread used, will tell you the current average wear rate. That should give you an idea of the estimated mileage remaining on the tire. Riding locally, stop and go and accelerating out of tight corners, I'm harder on tires than on a long tour trip where I have the cruise set riding down the road. YMMV, LOL!

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Tire wear

Hi,
I have a 2007 my question concerns tire wear. Previous owner had installed Dunlop E3. I want to go on a 1000 - 1200 mile round trip. Salt Lake City UT - Durango, CO

When I measured them with a tire depth gauge it showed 3/32 remaining at the center of the tire (front and rear tires). Common sense says to replace the tires but I have run out of time. Should that 3/32 of an inch last and get me back home?

I don't own a trailer the bike will be lightly packed.

Thanks
Ivan
I just got caught out on the road with a bald front tire and had to get it replaced. That was not a lot of fun. Also aren't the wear bars at 2/32 inch? If so, I think you are cutting it mighty close. I'd change it, but it is certainly your choice.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Another thing to definitely consider is the age of the tire. I will bet that the tire could be more than 5 years old since the E4's came out about that time.:wink2:

·
Registered
268 Posts
I was faced with the same dilemma less than a week before a 3100 mile trip the first of this month.
Got an E4 put on two days before leaving. You can't put a price on peace of mind.
If nothing else, plan a stop along the way and get it replaced.
You can't put a price on peace of mind.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Really pushing it and if you hit rain?

·
Registered
888 Posts
Poor planning will bite you -
I would not - but it's your skin to risk as you will.
Those tires wouldn't leave my zip code - but I would run them down some more.
I own 2 sets of wheels and have NEW rubber on one set all the time.
I change them out before a trip and run the old ones when I get back around town so I am never more than 20-30 miles from getting home
Good Luck

·
Registered
236 Posts
If you have to question if your tires will last another 1000-1500 miles for a road trip, it's time to change them. Just came back from a 2200 mile trip last week. Did 400 miles in wet conditions and had the peace of mind knowing my tires were good.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
I agree, if you have to question their condition, change them. At home it's pretty easy, on the road, who knows where you'll be, what's available, or how soon a shop can help you. Murphy's Law "WILL" bite you in the butt when you least expect it, so better safe than sorry.

Reactions: networkguy3
1 - 10 of 10 Posts