GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do the latest gold wings have premature front tire wear?

·
Registered
16,978 Posts
I get about twice the service out of the front as compared to the rear. This is, for me, consistent to my experience with the previous generation.

prs

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I get about twice the service out of the front as compared to the rear. This is, for me, consistent to my experience with the previous generation.

prs
Are you getting cupping on the front wheel? I’m just wondering if the new front suspension is helping with premature wear.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Different people have different tire life. My first front lasted 12K miles. Second one lasted about 8K miles. And the second one had Centramatics installed. Go figure.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,554 Posts
With the OEM front Bridgestone on this 2018, I got a little over 11k miles...no cupping though, but the OEM Bridgestone didnt get the mileage that the Bridgestone G709 front tire did on my old wing...with the G709, I would get 15k miles. I replaced my wore out front OEM Bridgestone with the Bridgestone G709.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I replaced the original Bridgestone rear tire at 14400 miles. The original front still has a lot more mileage left in it with no cupping. I'm very impressed with how long tires last on the new Goldwing.

·
Registered
16,978 Posts
Are you getting cupping on the front wheel? I’m just wondering if the new front suspension is helping with premature wear.
Modest cupping on mine, nothing dramatic. The suspension is too weakly sprung and under damped for my total satisfaction. In a stock to stock comparison, the newer model handes better than previous edition.

prs

Reactions: Steve 0080

·
Registered
591 Posts
Here, the 2018+ Goldwings came with Bridgestone or Dunlops and I have not been able to determine why he variation. The Dunlop site specifically mentions the tires have been developed for more aggressive riding and that suggests less tread life.

·
Registered
19,244 Posts
no cupping whatsoever

especially w/Traxxion Tie Rods

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,554 Posts
Modest cupping on mine, nothing dramatic. The suspension is too weakly sprung and under damped for my total satisfaction. In a stock to stock comparison, the newer model handes better than previous edition.

prs
No tire cupping and a much smoother ride too..the old model would transmit the road shock up thru the handlebars like when going over railroad tracks..of coarse Traxxion fixed that with the AK20's, but this new model is plush...and the front end with this new model is more ridged than the old models even with the aluminum trees installed ..its amazing how tight and how well this new model rides and handles even with its soft suspension. The old model needed suspension upgrades right away mainly because the front end would transmit nearly every bump up through the handlebars and the rear would bottom out easily, not to mention you couldnt stop the front tire cupping without suspension upgrades....but this new model just feels plush and when it does bottom out the rubber bumpers sure make it plush....Ive never felt the suspension bottoming out myself, even with a 150lb passanger.

Ive ridden the Traxxion demo bike..I will upgrade as the miles add up, but just dont feel the need to to it so fast like I did with the old model. I love how plush this bike rides.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I bought a 2018 DCT last spring that came shod with Dunlop tires and it now has almost 14,000km. I was wondering the same thing as the OP. My front tire is almost to the wear bars but no cupping, and the rear appears to have more life left in it. I assumed (yeah, I know) that it was from using the excellent brakes to haul over 800 pounds to a stop. I also took a trip through northern Ontario where the roads have course pavement to combat the winter weather. That may also have contributed to the wear on the front.

I love the way my bikes ride with a new set of tires front and rear. I generally get fairly even wear so when one tire is worn out there is never too much life left on the other one. I always change them at the same time. I currently have a new set of Dunlop tires in the garage waiting to go on when I cannot squeeze any more life from the set that are currently on it.

cheers,
Phil

·
Registered
591 Posts
I bought a 2018 DCT last spring that came shod with Dunlop tires and it now has almost 14,000km. I was wondering the same thing as the OP. My front tire is almost to the wear bars but no cupping, and the rear appears to have more life left in it.
I have the same year but non-touring and I also have 14,000km. I am wondering if anyone measures tread depth rather than wear indicators? I am so used to using tread depth at replacement, I don't even notice the wear indicators. Minimum Tread Depth F 1.5mm (2/32?), R 2mm (3/32?)

Also regarding front and rear, the Dunlop D423 original tread depth is F 5/32, R 8/32 so perhaps the rear is lasting longer if you are typically riding solo.

I noticed the Dunlop Elite 4 Tread depth is F 6/32 and R 10/32

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Ride hard and fast, tires wear out quickly. Ride with traffic and the tires last longer. By how long tires wear out you can surmise how aggressive a rider is.
New model tires are not lasting or wearing much quicker than previous model. This bike is somewhat responsible for tire wear as it is fun to be a bit more aggressive and still feel comfortable.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I bought a 2018 DCT last spring that came shod with Dunlop tires and it now has almost 14,000km. I was wondering the same thing as the OP. My front tire is almost to the wear bars but no cupping, and the rear appears to have more life left in it. I assumed (yeah, I know) that it was from using the excellent brakes to haul over 800 pounds to a stop. I also took a trip through northern Ontario where the roads have course pavement to combat the winter weather. That may also have contributed to the wear on the front.

I love the way my bikes ride with a new set of tires front and rear. I generally get fairly even wear so when one tire is worn out there is never too much life left on the other one. I always change them at the same time. I currently have a new set of Dunlop tires in the garage waiting to go on when I cannot squeeze any more life from the set that are currently on it.

cheers,
Phil
Fyi.

2019 DCT Tour with OEM Bridgestone Exedras, currently 17,325 km. I ride solo 100-percent of the time.

Current tire condition:

Front: 1/32" to wear bar; 3/32" to deepest void (Edit: no cupping)
Rear: 2/32" to wear bar; 5/32" to deepest void

If I'm lucky, I'll make 19,000 km in the few remaining weeks of the riding season and swap on a set of Dunlop Elite 4s when it goes into winter storage. Then I'll be ready for 2021.

Fyi.

Tim

·
Registered
789 Posts
Here, the 2018+ Goldwings came with Bridgestone or Dunlops and I have not been able to determine why he variation. The Dunlop site specifically mentions the tires have been developed for more aggressive riding and that suggests less tread life.
It's not uncommon for vehicle manufacturers to have more than one OEM tire brand supplier. In past , BMW R1200RTs came with Michelins or Metzelars (or Continentals? I don't remember which.). Anyway, multiple tire suppliers is nothing new.

There could be many reasons for this: one tire maker is not able to produce the quantity needed, or the manufacturer wants multiple suppliers to ensure security of supply. My speculation.

Tim

·
Registered
2019 Honda Goldwing GL1800B ( Darkness Black Metallic)
15 Posts
I have a 2019 Non-Tour DCT that came equipped with the Dunlop D423's - I am a very aggressive weekend rider burning up the mountains (twisties) in Southern California.
Disappointingly, I only got 8,000 miles and the rear is now completely bald!
I purchased the Bridgestone Tires G852/G853 and hope they get better wear - also because of the price...
The Dunlop D423's are so expensive! ...like $500 a set? / I picked up the Bridgestone for $339.99 a set on WingStuff today and will put them on this Friday (day off from work). I'll post again after a few miles on the new shoes.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Do any of you run dual compound tires? Seems to me that would be a must on these bikes, considering the reported tire wear (of relatively short tire life), and how easily these bikes can gobble up the miles....

·
Registered
2019 Honda Goldwing GL1800B ( Darkness Black Metallic)
15 Posts
"dual compound tires"????
Nope, only follow OEM recommendation specification for this bike... my first Goldwing (ex-Harley guy)

·
Registered
413 Posts
Do any of you run dual compound tires? Seems to me that would be a must on these bikes, considering the reported tire wear (of relatively short tire life), and how easily these bikes can gobble up the miles....
Quite a few of us do, the dunlop elite 4's. So far those are the only set in the exact OEM size. I have not had mine long enough to comment on how long they last but everyone is reporting great wear. I can comment in handling. They are smoother and quieter than the OEM stones. Grip both wet and dry is excellent.

·
Registered
65 Posts
9k miles on my original tires and I’m guessing I’ll need a new set by 11k at the most. The front is worn way more than I expected but I suppose heavy bike and not slowing down much for corners pushes it. I have always been able to go two rears for each front, even on my race bike (those rears only last about 500 miles Max) but I’ll need to replace both at the same time soon.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts