GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see the question asked about Tires weight ratings and it made me go Hmmm. The MT is put down for only being rated at 900 lbs or so.
Then I saw someone say about a tire that was rated at around 1050 lbs that they wished it was Higher.
The bike weighs in around 900 lbs right?
At the track I weighed mine with me on it in full leathers and came in around 1045 if I remember correctly. I don't really know what the GVW is for the Goldwing. I'm guessing around 1200? Say it was 1500.
Even at that half the weight is on the front tire. Leaving only 750lbs on the back. So with that , Whats wrong with a tire rated at over 1000 lbs?

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok I can except that.
Here's another question
Is the weight rating on the tire its Max weight it can handle or its Max Working load? Its its the working load. Don't you think they would have a safety Margin in there?:shrug:
Kinda like Rope.

·
DSI Keeper
9,172 Posts
I'm sure it is its working load. But figure this...if you are working a tire hard at 90% of its rated load vs. working a tire that is working 70% of its working load, what would you guess the difference is? The tire running at 90% to me, would be running hotter, wearing faster, more prone to failure, etc. Maybe running semi tires they would last a couple hundred thousand miles. Great questions. :popcorn:

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
All the stock MT's are rated at 827 lbs.(I've checked)
The only MT that has a higher rating is the Dunlop E3 with 992 (rear),and they just changed it to that in the past year..

So with the way you see most Goldwing owners pushing the weight limits,with rider/passenger weight on board.
It stands to reason that say 80% of the Goldwing owners could benefit with a higher load rating no matter what brand of tire they go to..

BTW:
This info isn't new either to Honda,They have been Building/Selling Goldwings since 1975..

The Problem is not one MT manufacture will listen to or talked to the Goldwing owners to build an adequate tire for not only the weight of the GL1800,Nor did they take into consideration of the size/weight of it's rider and passenger,never mind how the owners choose to ignore Honda's recommended weight limits they stuff into the trunk and bags as they roll along the roadways thinking they will be just fine...

And they wonder why a stock tire wears strange??:shrug:

Now you get the picture of why so many are or will be going to the Darkside in search of a better built/stronger/safer tire for not only the bike itself,but for a little more peace of mind in knowing that a CT is more capable of carrying them safer than that POS stock tire it replaced..

I'm considered one of these same owners BTW,I have six pak ab's,I just happen to carry a keg in front of them.:wrong:

Edited to add..
Most CT's are rated at 1200 lbs..My Pirelli is rated at 1201 lbs..

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Two up, I crossed Dunlops scales at Wing Ding.

1090 on the rear, 400 on the front.

That is why the weight rating is important to me.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts

That is very good to know. And puts to rest speculation. I have often wondered exactly how much weight would be on the rear wheel. I wonder how many of those round tire fellows know exactly how dangerous they are living?

Kit

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
The Problem is not one MT manufacture will listen to or talked to the Goldwing owners to build an adequate tire for not only the weight of the GL1800,Nor did they take into consideration of the size/weight of it's rider and passenger,never mind how the owners choose to ignore Honda's recommended weight limits they stuff into the trunk and bags as they roll along the roadways thinking they will be just fine...
Honda is a creature of greed. It could care less about listening to Wing owners, passenger etc. Honda is an inanimate construct we have come to bend over for: Corporations. It listens to stats on marketing graphs, profits, sales, numbers and competing sources. The day Honda listen to you, the guy riding the Wing, Marshal McLuhan will turn over in his grave.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I don't think it just a matter of tire rating. There are bearings & suspension parts that are part of the spec's. Also, while my old MT tire was rated at 827 pounds at 41 PSI, I have wondered what the CT would be rated at with only 30 PSI. Would anyone know?

·
Registered
598 Posts
I don't think it just a matter of tire rating. There are bearings & suspension parts that are part of the spec's. Also, while my old MT tire was rated at 827 pounds at 41 PSI, I have wondered what the CT would be rated at with only 30 PSI. Would anyone know?
Will,

According to Continental's tech manual found here (with all measurements in metric code :?): http://www.scribd.com/doc/6209248/Continental-Technical-Databook-20072008

The 195/55R16 with a load index of 87 would have a capacity of a little over 1000 lbs at 30 psi (which is equivalent to 2.068 bar). At 2.0 bar (29.1 psi) the capacity is 455 kg/1001 lbs, and at 2.1 bar (30.45 psi) the capacity would be 475 kg/1045 lbs.

Hope this helps.

Jack

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Now Look at this.
Ask The Right question and You get the right answer.
Yall are Fantastic.
The weight split Surprised the hell out of me though :shock: WOW
Won't ever see a MT on the Dirty White Girl again.
:thumbup:

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
You guys are forgetting that where you have the rear suspension would change the load on the front wheel, aren't you.

In other words with the rear all the way up, wouldn't there be more weight on the front?

·
Registered
105 Posts
It"s all Dairy Queens fault. :eat2:

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

I just ran across the scale and only had 1045 lbs on the whole bike with me on it. Forgot to do the split to see what it was.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Weight split surprises me until I think about it then it seems obvious. Great info in this thread.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
I just ran across the scale and only had 1045 lbs on the whole bike with me on it. Forgot to do the split to see what it was.
You know what your problem is? you ride past Buffet and DQ signs.. :biker:

"Not that there is anything wrong with that" :shrug:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts