GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a new tire(Continental 205RF )mounted at my local dealer and asked the service mgr. if he could check the balance to make sure it was within reason and that I would be installing Dyna-beads. When they were done he said that he needed to put 3 ozs. on the tire to balance it and I could remove the weights if I wanted. All was done pleasantly and he said three oz. was a lot of weight. Called dyna-beads and they said to put the normal (3oz.) in the tire and remove the weights. They claim 3oz. of beads will more than compensate for the lead due to the beads being closer to the outside of the rotating tire and wheel. Sounds logical to me but I wonder if anyone out there has any knowledge to back it up. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
I had a new tire(Continental 205RF )mounted at my local dealer and asked the service mgr. if he could check the balance to make sure it was within reason and that I would be installing Dyna-beads. When they were done he said that he needed to put 3 ozs. on the tire to balance it and I could remove the weights if I wanted. All was done pleasantly and he said three oz. was a lot of weight. Called dyna-beads and they said to put the normal (3oz.) in the tire and remove the weights. They claim 3oz. of beads will more than compensate for the lead due to the beads being closer to the outside of the rotating tire and wheel. Sounds logical to me but I wonder if anyone out there has any knowledge to back it up. Thanks in advance.
I haven't balanced a tire in years even before switching over to a CT. I have been using Dyna-Beads for many years and the 2 oz. in the front and the 3 oz's in the rear has work for years. My wheels have had no lead weights on them ever:thumbup: My tires over the years have also wore as even as I think you can get:thumbup: Thats what I use. Some use nothing and some use lead weights to each his own I am very happy with the Dyna-Beads :yes1:

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
With Centramatic Balancers I put the tire on the rim and don't worry about it. Never had any kind of problem!

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ttt

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Bob, yes. What Innovative Balancing said is correct. The 3 oz of dynabead weight, an additional 4-5 inches further away from the center of the wheel/tire center will have a much greater impact than the metal weights.

Just curious. When the fellow that mounted the tire found out it needed 3 oz., did he by chance dismount the tire and remount it 180 degrees from the initial position? Seems reasonable he would do that. At any rate, there was one fellow on this forum that said he required 5.5 oz of metal weights to balance his Kumho RF tire. I think I would have sent that tire back. When I did a poll awhile back there were 18 participants using a Kumho RF that participated. The average amount of weight used was 1.375 oz. Five riders used 0 (zero) oz.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I asked the tech about mounting position and he said that he couldn't move it on the rim. Dismount was not discussed. The valve is 180 from the weights and the balance was done without the TP moniter(1/3oz.) I think. Thanks for the info,I'll bead it up and go.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts