GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was searching for a safe/good way to clean my other bike's white wall tires...found this. Didn't realize tires were this complex chemically.

http://hawg-wash.com/cleantirwhee.html

Some tips on tire dressings. I never have dressed my tires, I may now.

Any tips on cleaning white wall tires? I know the heavy duty stuff @ auto ceters says to NOT use it on cycle tires. Soap & water & scrubbing just doesn't do a compete job.

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts
I always had good results from dish soap and a scrub brush on white walls or lettering. I would rather have my tires rot off the bike than take a chance with silicon degrading traction, even a little.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I use Westley's Bleche White on the tires, and Speedy All Metal Polish on the wheels. I think they look pretty fair??

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mr.b said:
I use Westley's Bleche White on the tires, and Speedy All Metal Polish on the wheels. I think they look pretty fair??

I 'think' that's the stuff I see at Auto stores for cleaning whitewalls. The serous whitewall cleaner. Doesn't it specifically say NOT for motorcycle tires? That's why I shyed away from it.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I 'think' that's the stuff I see at Auto stores for cleaning whitewalls. The serous whitewall cleaner. Doesn't it specifically say NOT for motorcycle tires? That's why I shyed away from it.[/quote]

I'm not sure where you're reading that (not on container), but I've been using it for the better part of 30 years, without a problem. Keep it off the paint.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Amsoil makes a great metal polish, I think it is called Brite Shine or something like that. Ask the Dawg. :lol:

·
Registered
741 Posts
I have been told by people smarter than me, yeah there are some, that you should never put a tire treatment on bike tires because even on the side walls, it could migrate to the tread and could be bad.

I use about two sets of tires a year, and I don't have to worry about deterioration. Lots of wingers use more than that. Even if you keep tires for a few years, I don't think it is a problem.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
SOS pads work pretty good on sidewalls ans especially whitewalls.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I wonder if anyone has tried the "Mothers Power Ball" to polish wheels. Looks good on TV but not sure how it works in real life. They are priced between $25 and $30 on the net. Haven't found them in local stores yet.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Knight Rider............Mothers powerball is available at Advanced Auto. I thought that it was a waste of money, but I'm sure there are others who love it. $25.00 at A. Auto

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Brillo pads or steel wool and comet cleanser works very well. Used to do it this way all the time back in the day.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts