GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I don't know if it's just me and my GW but about half the time fuel seems to spray out of the fuel tank opening when I'm filling up the tank, causing fuel to spray onto the bodywork and seat. Never had this problem on any of my other bikes. So I came up with this cheap and effective solution. A tennis ball cut in half with a hole drill in the center. Tried it out today on a 450 mile ride and it works perfect. The half tennis ball fits in the fuel filler cubby when it's not being used.

Attachments

·
15 year Member
6,897 Posts
Great idea!!!

Mattbcnv

Reactions: N3xuS

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
I don't know if it's just me and my GW but about half the time fuel seems to spray out of the fuel tank opening when I'm filling up the tank, causing fuel to spray onto the bodywork and seat. Never had this problem on any of my other bikes. So I came up with this cheap and effective solution. A tennis ball cut in half with a hole drill in the center. Tried it out today on a 450 mile ride and it works perfect. The half tennis ball fits in the fuel filler cubby when it's not being used.

Good idea.:smile2:
I have stations around where I live with slow nozzles, never have a problem filling up.
I put the nozzle in the tank, it shuts off, I finish filling by hand with nozzle pulled up slightly and looking at the fuel level in the tank. Just don't try to fill it all the way to the top.:serious:
Just lucky I guess.:grin2:

·
Registered
597 Posts
This is a great idea! Honda changed something with the neck size and its smaller and it does puke fuel back out all over the place if your not pumping slow. Somebody needs to invent a clear tennis ball!! BTW a racketball would not have the "fuzz"

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
Does the fuel pump shut off when the bikes tank is full?
Look down the filler neck, there should be a tube about 2" long going into the tank. Place the fuel nozzle in the fill tube so the end is below the bottom of the tube, pull the trigger and wait. Once the fuel covers the end of the nozzle, the pump will shut off. From there you can finish it off. Don't fill the tank past the bottom of the fill tube in the tank, as it can flood the filter canister and create a multitude of issues, not the least of which is having a constant smell of gas surrounding you.

OP, that's a good idea. Kinda replicates those huge corrugated covers on the pumps in Cali.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
This is a great idea! Honda changed something with the neck size and its smaller and it does puke fuel back out all over the place if your not pumping slow. Somebody needs to invent a clear tennis ball!! BTW a racketball would not have the "fuzz"
Cut the top of a water bottle in a similar fashion.... but I agree with those about how to fill, work on your technique of filling the tank. You really shouldn't get spray back... the only time it happens to me is when I try to get that extra little bit in... that I shouldn't had... :wink2:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does the fuel pump shut off when the bikes tank is full? I always keep an eye on the fuel level and hold the nozzle just over tank filler and slowly fill it.
Yes the pump shuts off when the fuel level gets to the top. But the tank inlet on the new GW is a strange design for a motorcycle. The inlet is recessed about 3 inches in the fuel cubby. Then there is a 3.5 inch deep tube that you stick the fuel nozzle into. If while fueling the fuel level reaches the level at the bottom of the tube, fuel quickly fills the tube and causes it to spray all over the place. Here in AZ many of the pumps have these large round flaps that cover the top of the fuel nozzle so you can see when the tank is getting full.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
I was just thinking the other day about what a pain in the a$$ it is to fill the bike without it spilling over. I'm going to do this. Great idea!!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Can also get one of these. Works great. No splashes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Kenichi

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Cut the top of a water bottle in a similar fashion.... but I agree with those about how to fill, work on your technique of filling the tank. You really shouldn't get spray back... the only time it happens to me is when I try to get that extra little bit in... that I shouldn't had... :wink2:
Many of the pumps here are ‘souped up’ and fill VERY fast! There is no slow fill on them! Those pumps spray gas no matter how slow you pump! :frown2:

·
Registered
930 Posts
We have different nozzles here in California, and I don't have that problem.
Our nozzles have to be pushed down to activate a valve in the nozzle before it will allow you to pump gas, which puts the rubber seal against the filler hole. That way the fumes get sucked into the recovery system they have on the pumps. (you know all the California smog stuff)

The only problem I have with spilling gas is when I remove the nozzle from the pump and try to place it in the bike, without spilling gas that is already in the nozzle from the last customer.
I try and hold the nozzle over the opening before I tip it and lower it down.

I have been pretty good about it, but I am sure it will get me sometime. :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
I use the yellow gas hog device sometimes. At home i have favorite gas stations that have slow flow nossels, which make it easy to fill. I have run into some stations that the nossel will not shut off even if the fuel reaches the tip of the nossel. Got to keep a close eye on it?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Great Idea. Now let go play tennis with the other half. I'd probably do just as good with a whole ball or half of a ball. And yes have about 2 inches of nozzle sticking out the hole in the ball and into the tank to get the shut off you need. I have had the Mcuff for a long time using it on several bikes.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have less occurrence of fuel splash when I fill from the left side. I keep a paper towel in the compartment on the right where the fuel door release is located. I replace it when it gets soiled.

These products look worthwhile. I probably need to upgrade.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Our nozzles have to be pushed down to activate a valve in the nozzle before it will allow you to pump gas, which puts the rubber seal against the filler hole. That way the fumes get sucked into the recovery system they have on the pumps. (you know all the California smog stuff)

The only problem I have with spilling gas is when I remove the nozzle from the pump and try to place it in the bike, without spilling gas that is already in the nozzle from the last customer.

Good Lord man, you're tellin' me the pumps out there have a fancier version of these "no spill" gas can nozzles the EPA mandated back in '09?
Heaven help ya Brother!
'Round here ya gotta look to make sure some punk kid or your basic idiot didn't leave the "lever lock" engaged on the pump handle. When they do fuel starts comin' out the second the pump kicks in. Believe me, it only takes once!

To the OP... adapt, improvise, overcome :thumbup:

·
Registered
794 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
I'd be leery of using the tennis ball. Every time it overflowed I'd hear someone scream "FAULT!!" from the sidelines:grin2:

But the concept is ingenious and I love it: (15 love, 30 love, 40 love....)>:)

·
Registered
2,165 Posts

If you are calling it "done" when the pump cuts off and not holding back the vapor recovery boot, you are missing out on as much as an entire gallon of gas..... Honda calls out a 5.6g tank and if I do not pull back the vapor boot, I simply do not get a full tank. I have had the estimated miles drop below 10 miles a few times showing "--" and only pump 4.2 gallons when it shuts off. If I simply pull the trigger again, I only get another 2 tenths. I put my boot clip on and continue to pump, I can get it up to 5.4 to 5.5 pumped. But unless I can pump slowly and see inside well enough..... it is going to be "old faithful" trying to finish getting a full 5.6g tank.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts