GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Y'all,

I met a guy with about 400k miles on his last 2 Wings and he runs a 70R on the rear (Avon Venoms) and loves them. He has used Dunlop E3's also and liked them.

If you go to a 70 in the rear, will it raise the back of the bike?

I only ask this because I have changed the front and rear springs with Progressives and I know that the bike sits higher with the Progressive Springs - but I also have a sense that the rear may have been raised even more than the front.

I just rode from NJ to Florida with 85 pounds of luggage (45 pounds in a MC bag on the passenger seat, 20 pounds in the trunk, and 20 pounds in a suitcase mounted on my Rivco Luggage Rack system. (I didn’t weigh the contents of the saddlebags.) With the Progressive rear spring I find that even with all of this luggage I had to leave the the preload at ZERO or else I felt like I was leaning forward .

I have kept the tire pressures at the recommended 36/41 on the OEM tires and with 7,000 miles my front tire seems more worn than I would have thought. Obviously I will be changing tire brands and may need to do so sooner rather than later and now I see that people are changing tire sizes as well.

Your thoughts please.

Thanks, RIDE SAFE

DonNJ

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
I must confess to not having much experience - I'm still on my OEM tires (9,000 miles on them, and they look like they have another 1-2,000 miles left).

I can tell you this. Going to a 70 series will raise the back of the bike by the increase in radius (yes, half the overall diameter difference!). My memory is that the OD goes up by 7/10's of an inch, which means the rear of the bike would be about 1/3 of an inch higher. I'm sure someone will correct me, or you can do the math.

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
I welded a one inch addition to the kick stand. I have learned to hold it up when I only tippy toe the ground 8) But I will always run a 70 series when on a m/c tire.

JMHO 8)

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Go the the Bridgstone site and you will see the outside diameter of the 60 series Gowldwing tire is 24.5 inches, and the outside diameter of the VTX 70 series G850 is 25.8 inches. Therefore, the bike will sit higher by about 5/8ths of an inch (25.8 less 24.5 divided by 2).

Those approximate diminsions will hold with all the different tire brands.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I've run 70 series E-3s and now 70 series Bridgstones. I'm 5/8 and while these did raise the height of the bike, I've had not problems. If you are taller than me you won't notice the difference during stops.

Chuck
MBD

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Ok, I have progressive springs front and rear with a Avon 70 series rear tire. The bike sits a little over 1" higher then a stock bike with a 60 series rear tire. My bike handles better then ever with a 70 rear tire on it.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Jeff at Metzler Tire in Rome, GA, told me that people using the 70 series tire on the Goldwing, is the cause of most of the Metzler tire failures.

Is he blowing smoke or is there any truth to this.

My Metzlers had to come off at 700 miles due to unsafe tire wobble.

They were 60 series and Metzler is still looking for a cause of the tire failure.

·
Registered
177 Posts
smoke

Without more information from Jeff as what he based his statement on, sounds like smoke. Too many 70 series are mounted on Wings that run out without problems, mine included.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
ytownmac said:
Jeff at Metzler Tire in Rome, GA, told me that people using the 70 series tire on the Goldwing, is the cause of most of the Metzler tire failures.

Is he blowing smoke or is there any truth to this.

My Metzlers had to come off at 700 miles due to unsafe tire wobble.

They were 60 series and Metzler is still looking for a cause of the tire failure.
I put 13-14,000 miles on several 60-series Metzlers - but got a mere 7,500 out of the only 70-series Metz I've (or will!) used. The tread was practically ripping/peeling off! If I hadn't checked it when I did, it would have "failed" by 8,000 miles...

I've currently got 9,000 miles on a 70-series EIII, and it has, easily, more than half the tread left. No fuss... no muss... no wobbles...

·
Registered
538 Posts
I am getting ready to replace my OEM tires (both almost slick with only 10k miles! Went with the book recommended air pressures (checked weekly).

Switching to 70 series... not sure of brand, yet. What pressures are you guys running that have gotten decent mileage (more than 10k)?

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
I have got 12/14K each out of 5 sets of ME880 wing tires. Tried the 70 series ME880 and it lasted 10K, but handled a lot better - for me. Am now trying a Bridgestone G850/851 combo 70 series, have over 8K as of today, and it will also last about 10K.

Based on what I have seen, your tire life with a 70 series rear will be a little less (about 15%) than the wing tire. However, the price difference will just about take care of that difference - a set of G850/851 Bridgestones right now are $235 delivered, and a pair of Metzelers GL ME880 tires are $320 delivered. So, just do the math and make your own call.

http://www.hondadirectlineusa.com/vtx/byBrand.asp?brd=Bridgestone&ID=958073791

http://www.hondadirectlineusa.com/stores/byBrand.asp?brd=Metzeler&str=4&ID=958073791

In addition, the load rating of the G850s is about 75 lbs higher than the wing tire, and the speed rating (Z) of the G850 is greater (150mph vs 130mph) than the wing tire (H). All the Metzelers and Bridgestone tires I have tried (60 and 70 series) do a really good job in the rain, and the Dunlops I tried absolutely sucked in water. Avon's I cannot comment on, as I have not had a set of those since I had an 87 Aspencade, but they were decent then.

Earlier, I commented on the change in handling on the bike, the feel, odometer correction, etc, so I won't do that here. But its why I have the 70 series on to stay.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Just installed the Bridgestones 850/851. 70 series on the rear. Cold and rainy in East Tennessee for the past couple days so I haven't had the chance to really check them out. I removed a set of E-3s with 11,000 miles. Wear bars were just starting to show. In a pinch I could have got a few more miles but the rear tire was cupped so bad it felt like gravel was stuck in the tread. The E-3s were always noisy and as they aged, they got worse. Wet weather grip was not the best.

Bought my tires from In The Wing in Knoxville, Tn. $219 delivered and another $32 to mount/balance. Wheels off the bike. Their price is double that if you let them remove the wheels.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
KA7W, Obviously I don't read all the posts..... I thought you ran a Cage tire on the rear of your bike? Didn't you change over to cage tires just before your Alaska trip? Do you have link to the thread on your results, I'd like to read how it worked out.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Prog. front and rear,new prog. shock and Avon "70". The rear is a bit higher but so far no handling concerns. I run the rear pre-load a lot lower than I used to. I'm pleased with the combination.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
I've found that running 40/42 or 41/43 will give more miles per tire.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
IR HARRY How old is your sale price link to HDL? Can't find any prices for a set of Stones (either HR or ZR ratings) like you're referring to. Anyone else have a low price source for a set of Stones? Thanks!!

·
Registered
9,099 Posts

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Re: Tires Again - Different Brands & Changing Size of Re

DonNJ said:
Hi Y'all,
If you go to a 70 in the rear, will it raise the back of the bike?
With the Progressive rear spring I find that even with all of this luggage I had to leave the the preload at ZERO or else I felt like I was leaning forward .
Your thoughts please.
Thanks, RIDE SAFE
DonNJ
Yes, the 70-series is taller. But you can run some Traxxion springs up front and pull your tubes down a bit in the triple-tree to compensate for the "downhill" effect.

Does anybody else read his question loud in their head? Or is it just me? (the large type...)

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
IR Harry - THANKS for the info! Ordered a set yesterday; in stock, and I should have mid-next week. Thanks again for the info!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts