GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Y'all,

I met a guy with about 400k miles on his last 2 Wings and he runs a 70R on the rear (Avon Venoms) and loves them. He has used Dunlop E3's also and liked them.

If you go to a 70 in the rear, will it raise the back of the bike?

I only ask this because I have changed the front and rear springs with Progressives and I know that the bike sits higher with the Progressive Springs - but I also have a sense that the rear may have been raised even more than the front.

I just rode from NJ to Florida with 85 pounds of luggage (45 pounds in a MC bag on the passenger seat, 20 pounds in the trunk, and 20 pounds in a suitcase mounted on my Rivco Luggage Rack system. (I didn’t weigh the contents of the saddlebags.) With the Progressive rear spring I find that even with all of this luggage I had to leave the the preload at ZERO or else I felt like I was leaning forward.

I have kept the tire pressures at the recommended 36/41 on the OEM tires and with 7,000 miles my front tire seems more worn than I would have thought. Obviously I will be changing tire brands and may need to do so sooner rather than later and now I see that people are changing tire sizes as well.

Your thoughts please.

Thanks, RIDE SAFE

DonNJ

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Don-I too have the same set-up. Prog. front and rear and a "70" Avon. It does raise the bike rear but I am happy with the combination. I will go for another "70" when this one is done. I run 40 front and 41/42 rear.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts