GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealer says that Goodyear is on strike and Dunlop’s are not available.
They also said they are working on the problem of what tire brand to use for a replacement on the 1800 Wing.
To that end...........
I do not ride aggressively.
No hard acceleration, no hard cornering.
The Dunlop 250's that came on my bike have served me well (now that I am running higher tire pressure) but the time has come to replace the rear tire because of excessive cupping. (I waited to long to get the pressure up)
What tires (in your experience) would be best suited for my (old timer) type of riding??

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
(I waited to long to get the pressure up)
What pressure did you go up to? I have the 250's also, but with only 5K and am curious what pressure might work better.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Most of the people on this board are happy with the Bridgestones. So am I. Good handing, good mileage.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I ran the stock Dunlops for 14K miles. I ran them 42/42 most of that time.

I too don't ride aggressively. I have about 1000 miles a new set of Metzeler ME880's. So far they are great. They feel the same as the stock tires, so if you liked them, you should like the ME880's.

I am also running a pair of Bias ply ME880's on my Shadow ACE Tourer, and love them there as well. They will wear forever on that bike, it is much lighter than the tire was designed for (GL1500 I think).

Only 1K, as I said, so I don't know the longevity on the GL1800. But I like them so far.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
steve s said:
(I waited to long to get the pressure up)
What pressure did you go up to? I have the 250's also, but with only 5K and am curious what pressure might work better.
I had to have the front replaced at 3K. Dunlop did it for free because I told them that thier reps were telling people at Americade NOT to run the tire at the recomended 37 PSI but to bump it up to 39.
After reading a lot about pressures on this forum I now run 40 front and 42 rear. The rear has 15K on it and the replaced front has 12K.
No cupping on the front and it has good rubber.
The rear is really cupped but the rubber is still good.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Greetings,

This is one of those unanswerable questions since it all falls down to personal preference in most cases.

My personal observations are:

Stock Dunlops - D205 - Good wear, cup easily, but slicker than KY Jelly on a wet road - especially paint stripes.

Metzlers - Good wear, stick like glue, some claim a decel wobble is exacerbated by them.

My next set is going to be Bridgestone to make a full comparison. They are on the way from Hal now.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rikkitik;
I tried to clarify my riding style so as to make my query more readily understandable.
I cant tell you how many miles I have put on these 250's in the rain. Even towing a trailer I have never slipped. That is because I ride with more caution in the rain.
I have felt no wobble with the 250's (now watch, I probably just jinxed myself)
The replacement front tire shows no cupping after 12K. I guess that is because I run it at 40 PSI.
Thanks for your input.

·
Chard Member
12,972 Posts
Any tire that's black and round should fill your needs!

I have liked and used the Stones over the years. They seem to be the most trouble free tire on the market for the 1800.

·
Banned
96 Posts
go for the metz ME880, great tires, good in the rain also.or try the avon i think these tires are YW certified,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts