GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need advice. I am looking at new rubber for my Wing and was told by a shop technician that I would really be pleased with the Metzler tires. What do wyou suggest?

Thanks in advance.

·
15 year Member
6,906 Posts
tires

Bridgestones....

Soft, good in wet weather... nice and smooth ride. Never a worry.... Had dunlops... hated them.....

Matt(Ashland,MA) :biker:

G

·
0 Posts
Re: tires

Matt(Ashland said:
Bridgestones....

Soft, good in wet weather... nice and smooth ride. Never a worry.... Had dunlops... hated them.....

Matt(Ashland,MA) :biker:
X2. Bridgestones are without a doubt, the best tire for the GL1800.

·
Registered
270 Posts
ytownmac said:
You may have read about my problem with the Metzler tires, and my having to have them replaced, after only 700 miles, while on my Alaskan trip.

The Honda dealer who inspected the bike and tires, told me the tires, were the cause of the dangerous wobble (at between 25 mph and 50 mph , both hands on the bars, accererating and decelerating). He replaced the Metzlers, at a cost of $509.43, with E3's and no more wobble.

I shipped the faulty tires home and contacted Metzler, and contacted Metzler and contacted Metzler.

Finally Metzler had me take the faulty tires to a local Honda/Metzler dealer to be examined. That dealer inspected the tires and he told me that the tires must be out of spec. He contacted Metzler who directed him to ship the tires to them for further inspection. All of this has taken several weeks and lots of aggravation.

Did I mention that Metzler has not replaced the faulty tires, nor have they reimbursed me for the tire replacement, or shipping.

UPDATE: Metzler has replaced my faulty rear tire and they are still examining the front tire. I can't tell you what was wrong with it because they didn't tell me.

I did have to send both tires to Wisconsin for the tests.

These tires have more miles on a mail truck than they did on my bike.

Thank You Metzler, so far.
This was my experience with Metzler.

You could get lucky.

·
Registered
123 Posts
AVON and smartire you'll be glad you spent the extra $200. :wink:

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
There is someone unhappy with EVERY brand of tire.

Join in...... :lol: ....I like Flintstone 500's.......Rock solid....

Did anyone see the wheel - tire combo for the 1800 on ebay that has an 1800 front wheel with a Michelin Mcadam tire mounted on it?

·
Registered
501 Posts
IR Harry said:
There is someone unhappy with EVERY brand of tire.

Join in...... :lol: ....I like Flintstone 500's.......Rock solid....

Did anyone see the wheel - tire combo for the 1800 on ebay that has an 1800 front wheel with a Michelin Mcadam tire mounted on it?
I sure did :roll:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Mixed

I'm currently running a bridgestone in front and an avon in back. Works great and less filling.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I went through this a couple of weeks ago and heard the least complaints about the bridgestones. I bought them, had them installed and they are truly awesome. Greg

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
Rather than get bashed for starting another tire thread, let me sneak in on this one. I just noticed the factory tires on my 05 are about worn out - the front more so than the back, at 9,000 miles. I expected more miles from what I had read. What is everyone getting?

Keep in mind, I will not ride mine until there is no tread left - so I guess it is subjective. But mine are about as far down as I'm confortable with.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I've been running Metzelers for 60k now and I'm real happy. Haven't tried Avons and for the price probably won't. Haven't tried the E-3's and probably won't. 'stones were as good as the Metz's and the D-250's scared the hell out of me.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
IR Harry said:
That seems to be a standard trick with the trike guys. They are getting excellent wear on that combination. It's a rear tire mounted backwards. Claim is about 20-25k miles. Don't know if I'd try it on a 2 wheeler tho.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Closetchef said:
I've been running Metzelers for 60k now and I'm real happy. Haven't tried Avons and for the price probably won't. Haven't tried the E-3's and probably won't. 'stones were as good as the Metz's and the D-250's scared the hell out of me.
What scared you about the stockers? I haven't ridden in the rain. 7000 miles on the bike, lucky or what :lol: Is it the wet pavement that is bad with the 250s?

·
Registered
501 Posts
My OEM 250's lasted about the same (9000 Mi) Now have E'3 with
12,000+ and they are only 1/2 way to wear bars.
Have a little cupping on rear, but not as bad as 250's were.
Much better on wet, but I am not agressive rider and ride 2 up.
I do check pressure before every ride as they do drop a few #'s

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have 9,500 on mine. And it looks like I can get another 1,500 to 2,500 out of them. I just recieved my 'stones 850/851 in 70 series. Will be putting them on after my trip back to South Texas.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
WeKneeDragger said:
What scared you about the stockers? I haven't ridden in the rain. 7000 miles on the bike, lucky or what :lol: Is it the wet pavement that is bad with the 250s?
I was on a wet road (been raining for a couple of hours), straigh and slightly crowned. Had about 8k on the tires and still had plenty of tread left. Just touched the rear brakes and she fishtailed severely on me. That was my only ever happenstance (wow, where did that come from?). Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
RUBBER

bridgestones,80,000 miles and no problem,great wet weather traction.tried the e,3s and took then off in 3,000 miles,they are suicide when wet.OLE YELLER MBG PA

1 - 20 of 26 Posts