GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my YELLOW 01 back from the shop yesterday over the lunch hour. Had the Bridge 709 put on the front, and the Mich Prim Alpin put on the rear (my first time for a car tire). Also had the Progressive front suspension and Centramatics installed. So far, so good. Not much time to really put it through the motions yet, but felt really good riding the few miles from my small town's LOCAL SHOP back home. Interestingly, my first bike was a 79 Yamaha XS Eleven Special. When I bought it in 85 from my best friend's dad (my best friend had a silver 500cc Silver Wing), it had a rear tire on it with square edges --- I do mean square. Didn't know any different at the time, and I can't say that I remember a huge difference when I put a rounder tire on it a couple of years later. The Mich is far more rounded on the edges than that old tire was.

As far as headlights, I am running what ever bulbs Mal Wart carries. The shop mechanic talked to me about the halogen lights that he carries, runs on his bike, and installs almost exclusively. He said that instead of 55W, they were something like 120W and really lit up the night ($15). He told me he has not had to change the high beams in almost 10 years. Does anyone know anything about, or have any experience with these sorts of bulbs? Good, bad, or ugly?

Thanks,
Russ

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
I think that much wattage will probably be problematic. I think I remember reading that the wiring is not adequate to handle that much power.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I think that much wattage will probably be problematic. I think I remember reading that the wiring is not adequate to handle that much power.
OMG.....ONLY IF YOU WANT TO HAVE YOUR BIKE BURN UP........!!!!!!! I WENT WITH HIDs from www.socalmotogear.com $169.00 and 1 hour to install myself...plug & play...very easy conversion to do...........

·
Registered
727 Posts
bulbs

He could have been referring to the PIAA replacement bulbs. They claim that they produce the equivalent of 100watts of light while using 55 watts. They also claim heavy duty construction for motorcycle applications. I have not used them. I have used the Sylvania Silverstar Ultra and it is the brightest halogen bulb I have experienced. Very happy with light output. But they don't last long. I went to HID this year and the light is great. Still waiting on life expectancy................BTW - good tire choice!

·
Banned
8,220 Posts
Ronab is correct about the wiring not being able to handle 120W. Another concern would be heat generated by the bulb. They could end up melting the headlight housing and reflectors. My Brother has a Corvette and has European high-wattage Halogens, but he had to replace his stock headlight housings and wiring harness.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. Figured something was not quite right or everyone would be using. Thanks for the replies.

Russ

·
Registered
595 Posts
HIDs...........​HIDs...........​HIDs...........​HIDs...........​HIDs...........​HIDs...........​HIDs...........!!!!!

·
Registered
7,474 Posts
HIDs...........​HIDs...........​HIDs...........​HIDs...........​HIDs...........​HIDs...........​HIDs...........!!!!!
:agree: A possible slight overkill on the recommendation above :tongue: but I agree. The PIAAs are supposed to put out the equivalent of light a stock type system would if it was a 120watts. Rather like a compact fluorescent putting out the equivalent of a 60 watt bulb while only using 15 watts.

However - them dang PIAAs are expensive as all get-out to replace a bulb. I've got a set of PIAAs aux lights - they do well but I would go with the newer LED systems now. And if the guy is really running a high wattage bulb in the light - bad joujou there. The housing will not take the extra heat - bad things will occur.

Plus the wiring isn't set up for that. I just had to run a separate hi beam circuit to my left hi beam because of a wiring mod (removal of previous owners light setup) that had both hi beams off the handlebar switch (normally just the left one is run off the switch in case you didn't know). Ended up burning the contacts in the switch, causing a high resistance and low voltage to the bulbs themselves.

End result - HIDs for your low beams. I've installed many sets from DDMTuning - have been happy with them.

·
Registered
423 Posts
OMG.....ONLY IF YOU WANT TO HAVE YOUR BIKE BURN UP........!!!!!!! I WENT WITH HIDs from www.socalmotogear.com $169.00 and 1 hour to install myself...plug & play...very easy conversion to do...........
I looked up the lights you got... Very nice and easy to install. How do you like them?

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Got my YELLOW 01 back from the shop yesterday over the lunch hour. Had the Bridge 709 put on the front, and the Mich Prim Alpin put on the rear (my first time for a car tire). Also had the Progressive front suspension and Centramatics installed. So far, so good. Not much time to really put it through the motions yet, but felt really good riding the few miles from my small town's LOCAL SHOP back home. Interestingly, my first bike was a 79 Yamaha XS Eleven Special. When I bought it in 85 from my best friend's dad (my best friend had a silver 500cc Silver Wing), it had a rear tire on it with square edges --- I do mean square. Didn't know any different at the time, and I can't say that I remember a huge difference when I put a rounder tire on it a couple of years later. The Mich is far more rounded on the edges than that old tire was.

As far as headlights, I am running what ever bulbs Mal Wart carries. The shop mechanic talked to me about the halogen lights that he carries, runs on his bike, and installs almost exclusively. He said that instead of 55W, they were something like 120W and really lit up the night ($15). He told me he has not had to change the high beams in almost 10 years. Does anyone know anything about, or have any experience with these sorts of bulbs? Good, bad, or ugly?

Thanks,
Russ
DESTROY CHRONIC PAIN
Those 100, 120 watt bulbs are for off road use only and are out lawed in some states.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I looked up the lights you got... Very nice and easy to install. How do you like them?
I just love them both during the day..and.OMG.......at night !!! And the install was just soooooooo easy - but only if you have small hands like I do.......

1 - 12 of 12 Posts