GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning i went to a Local motorcycle shop (Zdeno Cycle in Kitchener, Ontario). They are not a Honda dealer.

I was asking for information and pricing on tires to replace the OEM Dunlop D250's on my '09.

Their 'tire guy' told me that Goldwings are known as 'tire eaters' and you should only expect to get between 20-25000 kilometres on a set.....even if you are not an aggressive rider.

He recommended Dunlop Elite 3's, or Metzlers or Avons which were all in the same price range of about $600/set.....out the door installed and balanced. This suprised me because my local Honda dealer (KW Honda in Waterloo, Ontario) gave me just about the same price :yes1:. That being the case, I think that I would rather have the Honda dealer do the job in case the TMPS sensors got buggered up during the install. If Zdenos did it and damaged them, I am not sure they would be covered by warranty.

The other interesting tidbit that the Zdeno guy told me about was that Goldwings, even the newer ones like mine, have ball bearings in the wheel assemblys as opposed to roller bearings used by some other manufacturers like BMW and Harley-Davidson........and apparently ball bearings wear out faster than roller bearings and these can lead to premature tire wear. He claims that it is known throughout the M/C industry but Honda, for some unknown reason, refuses to switch over to roller bearings. He also said that I could switch my '09 over to roller bearings but I would have to pay for it as Honda won't cover the cost. Has anyone else heard about this or was the Zdeno guy feeding me a line of BS:?:

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
I think he might have been talking about the steering head bearings and a lot of people replace them with the all balls. I have 50K on my '09 and have used E III's since I replaced the OEM D-250s and have always gotten around 12-13K from them and have never worn a set down to the wear bars due to taking a long trip with it being questionable on having enough tire to last the trip without having to get new ones on the road at way to high of a price. As for the TPMS getting damaged and warranty. If mine get damaged by somebody replacing a tire I wouldn't bother Honda I would make the installer replace them due to their screw up since they aren't that easy to get to to damage. JMHO

·
Registered
16,852 Posts
Tire milage varies so widely that it is hard to make a set statement. I get about 8,000 miles rear and 14,000 miles front --- more or less.

There is no common fault issue with Honda front wheel bearings so far as I know. Converting the wheel to rollers does not seem plausible to me as you would have to have another type of wheel to accomodate them. Perhaps the fellow meant to day steering head bearings? Lots of folks have gone to rollers there. If the ball bearings in the stem are set properly and lubed properly; then there is no real issue.

prs

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I guess his terminology "Tire Eaters was directed at the Tire Cupping problem that is common among Goldwings.

I have had the best of luck out of Bridgestones, But I will not try to sway you on what choice you make.

Yes the GW has Roller Bearings in the front wheel. There are 2 on each side, that are joined together. (Do not try to seperate them)

As far as I know they have not been a problem, as long as they, and the Front Axle are properly installed.

I had 30,000 miles on my front bearings, and only changed them because I bought new Chrome Wheels, and they came in the new wheels.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I have E3s (second set) and am very please with them. Got 12,000 miles on my first set, and they still have some treat left. Changed them because I'm heading cross country next weekend. My HD Road King got less mileage than that, as did my BMW R1200RT. I wouldn't describe the Wing as a tire eater.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Greg, your guy was pretty right. I've gotten 17,000K miles out of a set of tires (Dumlop E3s) but that was about 1000-1500 too much. They were balder than me, and that's saying somethng..

A Goldwing "eats" tires for several reasons.

1> Its' a HEAVY bike. It puts close to 1,000 lbs on the rear wheel.
2> Most of the tires you can get for a Goldwing aren't rated to carry that much weight (did I mention that it's a heavy bike?
3> It's a powerfull bike. More HP & torque chews the rubber off faster
4>The suspension was designed by bean counters. It wears out quickly, and was never very good to start with.
5> Goldwings have a low speed deceleration wiggle. This will wear your tires, too.

The E3 rear tire is rated 80H 80=992 lbs.
The Avon is rated for 827, I think, and the Bridgestone is somewhere in between, maybe 902? I don't remember. You can look up the tire specs and a chart that tells you what they mean. The H, BTW, means sustained speed of 130 MPH.
So in almost all cases, we are overloading our tires, which shortens their lifespan. A lot. Then we might not check pressures as often as we should.

I think your guy was talking about the stem bearings. Yes, Honda puts ball bearings in the steering stem, for whatever reason. Goldwings have a tendency to start shaking the bars when decelerating between say 45 asn 30 mph or so. Take your hands off the bars , say to adjust your gloves, and you'll see it. Not all do it, most start as the tires wear, and some are horrible right out of the factory. The roller bearings seem to cure the issue. Some say they mask the problem by adding more steering drag, which damps out the occilations. Whatever. Every bike I've put the roller bearings in has stopped wiggling. Whether it masks or cures, the problem goes away.

=Dave=
GWBBA #9
rocketmoto.com

·
Registered
714 Posts
Seems like you are paying twice as mutch for tires than I am. Guess that is the price for living way up North. If I lived close to the border, I could buy you a set and toss them over for half that. Oh well...

:roll:

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I use Bridgestones and get around 12,000 +/- miles. on 3rd set.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Have had Elite III's since replacing the originals at 12k and usually get 16,000 out of front and rear...although 50% of the time I've encountered a nail on the rear within 200 miles:wrong:

Also depends on where you are riding; once got 20K when riding I-10 between Phoenix and LA every other week. Check you tire pressures every week, it will help extend the life.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts