GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm due for new tires come spring, so have been watching the board fairly close. Seems everyone has good and bad to say about every brand, make and model.

Was wondering...Has anybody like Consumer Reports done any unbiased, scientific type testing??????

I see some folks like grip...while others want milage...and still others want a quite ride. Bottomline: I want a tire that is reliable and grips the road...no cupping......I can afford less milage and will ignor the noise.

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
As a group; current Bridgestone owners seem to be generally happy, as do current Avon users. If this is your first change, whatever you get will likely be superior to what came on your bike. But, it can be a crap shoot.

prs

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
I bet you can find some tire tests by one of the cycle magazines. They will always write glowing reports of any of their advertisers products.

You want the whole works - get Flintstone 500's. They are solid as a rock, last eons, non-polluting, and cheap.

But the new Bear Paws have a better grip, and can really tear into things.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I had my original Dunlop 250 front tire replaced at 3K due to cupping. Since then I have been running 40 PSI in it and it is fine. (13K)
The rear tire (also origional equipment 250) is cupped because I didnt run the pressure high enough in the beginning. (now at 16K) While there is still plenty of rubber left on it I will be replacing it as soon as my local Honda shop completes thier testing. They have diffrent tires on several bikes and are watching how they handle and wear before they recomend any other brand.
To date I am happy with the 250's. I do NOT run hard, corner carefully, ride one up, two up and pull a trailer. I have ridden in rain and have no issues with the Dunlop 250's.
In my opinion you need to match your tires to your riding style.
The 250's work fine for me but who knows if Goodyear will ever get past the strike and fill all the backorders.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Stay away from the Elite III's-they will get good miles, but are loud and slippery, the bridgestones give the best all around wear, are quiet, handle/stick great.
Chris

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
motorpsycho said:
Stay away from the Elite III's-they will get good miles, but are loud and slippery, the bridgestones give the best all around wear, are quiet, handle/stick great.
Chris
Loud dosent bother me.
"Slippery" how???
"Normal" "safe" driving on wet roads or "agressive" driving on wet roads??

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I went from the d250's to the e3's with excellent results, infact I am on my second set of e3's and they stick like glue in all riding conditions and weather, next I will try the stones, I have no faith in avon or metzlers they have left too many friends of mine stranded on trips due too tire failures.

·
Chard Member
12,969 Posts
Gene Krull said:
Bottomline: I want a tire that is reliable and grips the road...no cupping......I can afford less milage and will ignor the noise.
Bridgestones! G709 & 704

I haven't seen a tire test on any of the 1800 tires over the years. "Reliable, grips, and no cupping" describes the Stones.

Good Luck......

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Gene - this probably isn't what you want to hear, but I believe it's your best alternative. Try each brand and see what your experiences are with each. Find out for yourself how each brand wears and rides, how they respond to wet pavement, rainy weather and dry, and of course the technical twisty roads. You will also get a good read (assuming you check your tire pressure religiously prior to each ride) on how the tread holds out for the ultimate tire life. No one set of tires lasts all that long and your Wing is meant to ridden "a lot".....

Once you have tried each brand you'll be your own best judge of what is right and not so right for your bike and riding pleasure. You can ask others, but you are going to get different answer each time you ask (although if you do ask make sure you also ask the brands they have tried and the amount of miles they have accumulated so you know exactly how much testing they have done too).

I guarantee you you'll be happy you made the extra effort and had this experience, plus you will appreciate your best tire a lot more knowing it has passed the tests (yours) and tester's challenge (also, your own).

Good luck!!

DaleC

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Gene, This board can give you a pretty good cross section of opinion about any product out there for a bike. If I were you I'd listen to some of our elders here that have been riding GW's forever. From what I've read in the innumberable amount of previous opinions and posts, Stones have the best overall reputation. Thats why I bought some, haven't mounted 'em up though. Usually on any typical performance tire, grip and longevity oppose one another, either a softer or harder rubber compound will dictate those paticular characteristics. The best you can usually hope for is to compromise one for the other to some degree. Finally, cupping is generally thought to be influenced by improper air pressure management but also influenced by certain types of riding styles. Good luck, roll the dice and then learn from your own experience. Terry

·
Registered
582 Posts
There are many, many threads on this board about tires. Everyone has their favorites and it is because they have ridden on different types and can make a decision based on experience, trial and error. If you ride enough, you will go thru two or three sets a year. It won't take you long to be able to judge for yourself, what best suits you...

Personally, I am partial to Metz 880's, because I get the most milage out of them, and they feel really good in the rain. I have been trying the Dunlop Winter Sport 195/55/16 on the rear for the last 3 months, I've got about 7000 miles on it and the more I ride on it, the more I like it. I don't recommend that anyone else try a car tire on the back of their wing. I especially like the way it rides, when 2up and pulling the trailer. The amount of tread on the road, the stopping traction, the great feel on wet roads, and the load rating, are the things that I like and concerned about when riding.

No one can decide for you what is best for you. Try them all (except CT) and then make up your mind.

Ride Safe and God Bless.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts