GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Ever'body! By the time I reach Americade this June from Washington State, I will be needing new tires for my GL1800. Having never attended Americade, I'm asking: do the tire manufacturers represented there actually sell and mount their tires or are they just marketing by being represented at the affair? If not available for sale, do any of you upstate New Yorkers recommend a dealer in Albany, Buffalo or parts in between? Appreciate your help on this! Regards from Pat & Martha.

·
Registered
21,091 Posts
Big Yella wow! sounds like a GREAT trip! Last year at wingding Metzler had a speacial promotion on thier newly released ME880's,mounted on the bike for about $350,Hals regular internet price is $308 but you supply mounting.. I suspect Avon,Metzler,Dunlop and Bridgestone will all be represented at Americade so maybe there will be some more good deals offered.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I highly recommend you replace your tires before leaving on a trip, it's a bad idea to replace them enroute. Replace them a little ahead of time so you have a chance to put at least a couple of hundred miles on them, make sure everything is working OK before leaving.

BTW, there usually aren't any bargains to be found on tires at a rally.

·
Chard Member
13,071 Posts
I agree with Wingman on this one. Even if you think you have half your tread left, replace them before you leave. I never liked the idea of someone turning a wrench on my bike 1,000's of miles from home. Too many "bad" things can happen.

·
I U Turn
888 Posts
Roy, I agree with Wingman and Red. I just put on a new set of tires in preparation for Americade. They will be perfect when we leave on Memorial Day weekend. You will notice I live in Everett.
**** :D :yw1:

·
Registered
21,091 Posts
don't know if there will be good tire deals or not at Americade but tire prices I have seen at rallies are usually within reason not always. I would have them installed well before the end of the rally just in case some sort of problem (bad tire etc.) shows up. Take it for a test ride imeadiatly after installation and if there is some sort of problem let them take care of it. Your trip to Americade will be near 3000 miles one way sounds like lots of fun!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Metzler had great deals last year.

The tires were about the price Hal usually sells for and they were installed.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Pay heed to the folks who recommend against stretching your tires to reach a rally. Prices are not so good as to risk your tail coming in on cords. If you could see the pile of tires that people actually rode in on, it would scare you to death. Remember that the last little bit of tread on motorcycle tires goes away FAST... especially on the rear. What looks good now, may be STEEL in 3000 miles. Get your tires changed before you leave and enjoy your trip. If you do decide to ride in on your old rubber, check the tread DAILY while enroute.

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
A friend of mine had his tires changed at the Hoot. They didn't hook the rear brake up properly, and the rod came loose the first time he really put some pressure on that brake. As a result, some parts were damaged and it cost him 2 days of his vacation, while waiting for new parts.

I get everything done *before* leaving, and I don't do *anything* to the bike in the last week before leaving.

We had a guy on another list changing his brake fluid before leaving on a trip, and accidentally grabbed the bottle of 75w-90 oil instead of the bottle of brake fluid, and bled the 75w-90 through the system. His vacation was cancelled that quickly.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I get everything done *before* leaving, and I don't do *anything* to the bike in the last week before leaving.
this is excellent advice.

and might i add, this is done so you don't have to do anything ON the trip either, except ride.

get the tires a couple weeks before you leave. scuff 'em in easy.

geek

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
A friend of mine had his tires changed at the Hoot. They didn't hook the rear brake up properly, and the rod came loose the first time he really put some pressure on that brake. As a result, some parts were damaged and it cost him 2 days of his vacation, while waiting for new parts.
I had that happen one time about 20 years ago, coming up to a busy 4 way stop sign I didn't have any brakes, it was an old bike (58 model) and the front brake didn't do much, I started honking my horn and waving, thankfully the people were paying attention (for once) and they let me go thru the intersection, I was finally able to get it to stop about 100 ft past the stop sign! :shock: I never want to go thru that again!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts