Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tires:
Bought my 1800 in May, '03. One year later, (April '04) w/7,900 miles on it, had to replace both tires due to cupping. Replaced OEM Dunlops w/same. Different dealers told me it was caused by low air pressure and/or bad road conditions. I disagreed. Rode the same places as others, and religiously checked air.
Jan. '05, had the same problem, about 14K miles on it. While contemplating what to do, found out about the frame weld recall. Took the bike to the dealer where I bought it for inspection. Welds were so cracked that the bike had to be returned to the factory for repairs. When the bike came back, replaced the replacement tires w/Bridgestones. Now have about 24K miles on it, w/no further problems.
Electrical:
1: The bike was inside covered storage most of the winter. When I first rode it this Spring, and used the cruise control, the CC would not turn off. It would disengage as normal, but I could not turn it off. Disassembled the RH controls pod to access the CC switch, cleaned switch contacts w/electrical contact cleaner. No further problems.
2: Sometimes I have RH turn signals, most times not. Sometimes have a blown fuse. LH works fine. Turning on the 4-way flashers blows the fuse.
3: When using the electric phob to lock/unlock the trunk & saddlebags, the signal lights will sometimes flash (normal) & sometimes not flash at all. The locks lock/unlock normally. Replaced the phob battery, no change.
Don't know if 2 & 3 are related. Will check/clean Turn Sig switch as a start. I have also replaced the trunk & saddlebag lights w/the newer Euro style. Noticed that new lights allow water inside whenever it rains or I wash the scoot. Will also reinstall original lights to see if that helps.

Any comments, advice, suggs greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Gunny

·
Registered
39 Posts
I too have had significant cupping problems on the rear tire - on both Dunlop and Avon tires.
Are you saying that you have 10,000 miles on the present tires with no cupping?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
JL,

Yes, and they still look brand new. Don't know if the cupping problem was due to poor tire design by Dunlop, the frame weld cracks, or both. It was not caused by low air pressure and/or bad roads. I joined the GWTA NW Wings Gold Wing Drill Team to learn how to ride the 1800 better right after I bought it. We travelled all over WA state together to perform @ different events and functions, & none of the other owners had this tire problem.
I talked to numerous Honda shops, and wrote to Dunlop, and got the same response: I did not maintain proper air pressure and/or rode on bad roads. Give me a break!
I maintain 40-42 psi in both tires, usually ride with my wife, and tow a Bunkhouse trailer, and have operated the same sine I bought the 'Wing in '03.
Interestingly, I also understand that Dunlop has gone thru at least 3 itterations of tires just for the 1800.
Don't know who's right or wrong in all of this, just relating my experiences. Feel free too draw your own conclusions.
BTW: My previous bike was an '82 Yamaha 750 Virago. I used nothing but Dunlops until I sold it in '04, and was extremely pleased with their performance. At this point, I am not sure if I will ever use Dun's again for my 'Wing.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I have an 03 on my third set of Dunlops with no cupping on any of them. I run about the same pressure you mentioned, slightly lower on front. Possibly a suspension problem? Maybe try upgrading the suspension.

Have not had any electrical problems. Good luck, hope you find some solutions.

·
Registered
17 Posts
You might want to check the calibration of your tire guage. Several of mine give considerably different readings, and most are reading high. I like the Accugage the best and it seems to be most accurate. The guages in my floor pumps and 110V compressor are considerably different. I'd say to check your pressures with someone elses guage that isn't having a problem and see what you get.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. The tire problems I described seem to have gone away. As I mentioned, there was a recall regarding cracked frame welds. Mine were severley enough cracked that Honda had the dealer crate up my Wing and send it back to the factory for repairs. I had the current tires installed by the dealer when the bike was returned from the factory. I now have accumulated about 10K miles on it, w/no sign of the former problem. I use only a digital air guage that I carry on the bike, and do not use any other guages. I suspect that the cupping problem was a combination of tire design deficiencies by Dunlop, exacerbated by the frame weld cracks that I was unaware of.

I have pictures of the weld cracks at and around both ends of the bottom rear cross member, but they are too large to include in this format.

Anybody who wants to see the pics can contact me directly at: [email protected]. I will attach the pics to them in the reply.

Hope this helps anyone else who may have similar problems.

Thanks again for all replies and suggestions.

Ride safe, ride often.

Gunny

G

·
Re: Goldwing Wobble / Class Action suit

jpiner said:
check out this class action suit against Honda....the wobble is not the tires, its the bike design

http://www.hbsslaw.com/honda_lawsuit.htm

Hagens Berman Sobol Shapiro??????????????

Who are these schmuck ambulance chasing lawyers?

I am so GD sick of these petty lawsuits I could BARF. When are we going to get tort reform in this country and stop this insane lawsuit business before it bankrupts us all. In 99% of these cases, the only winner is the lawyer. $$$$$$$$$$

If this crap is allowed to continue, we won't have anybody willing to manufacture anything for fear of losing everything in some silly lawsuit. Who are the braindead juries that rule for the plaintiffs in these cases? Don't they understand that they are shooting themselves in the foot.? These lawsuits are costing us all BIG BUCKS for everything we buy.

This lawsuit is absurd. There is nothing dangerous about the GL1800 Honda Goldwing motorcycle. Thousands of them are ridden millions of miles every year with no problems.

I hope all of the jackasses that brought this class action suit end up losing their shirts, and their bikes as well. We don't need their sorry a**es giving motorcycling a bad name and costing us all more money.

Ride safe all.

·
Registered
20,009 Posts
Re: Goldwing Wobble / Class Action suit

jpiner said:
check out this class action suit against Honda....the wobble is not the tires, its the bike design

http://www.hbsslaw.com/honda_lawsuit.htm

Boy, If I ever have to go to court for anything, I hope you are not the judge. Someone files a lawsuit and you just automatically ASSUME that the defendent is guilty. WOW!

Did you ever think that the person who filed the lawsuit might be a crackpot.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just have a bad wobble, thats all

no I didnt, I JUST have a bad wobble, 3 sets of tires, a variety of tire pressures, 2 Honda adjustments, and a super brace...Honda says , just ignore it, its not that bad.......I would like to hear your feelings about the subject, IF YOU HAVE THE WOBBLE, IF NOT f---OFF

·
Registered
20,009 Posts
IF YOU HAVE THE WOBBLE, IF NOT f---OFF
Well that was constructive. Congratulations! You have just lowered the bar on this message board one more level. Of all the nasty posts I have read in all my years here, that is the first time I have read of anyone being told to ........ I hope it made you feel better. :roll:

You posted that the bike had a design problem and gave the appearance that you were using that worthless lawsuit link as proof. If that was not your intent, that is your problem. You should make your posts more clear.

·
Registered
6 Posts
SORRY

i APOLIGIZE......SO MANY PEOPLE CRITICIZE WITHOUT GOING THRU THE FRUSTRATION OF SPENDING $20k ON A MACHINE AND GETTING ONLY LIP SERVICE FROM THE MANUFACTURER

AT 40MPH THE FRONT END SHAKES.....MY ONLY OPTION IS TO SPEED THRU IT....WHAT WOULOD YOU DO????

·
Registered
20,009 Posts
AT 40MPH THE FRONT END SHAKES.....MY ONLY OPTION IS TO SPEED THRU IT....WHAT WOULOD YOU DO????
There are unfortunately two issues here.

The first one is the common problem of wobble when you take your hands off the bars. If it frustrates you that much, just don't take your hands off the bars.

The second one is a problem that is NOT common, and that is having the bike wobble even with your hands ON the bars. This is rare on the Goldwing. If this is your problem then you are one of the unlucky few that has a nagging problem that is tough to cure. This can and does happen with any bike and there is obviously something wrong with the bike itself, but since it only happens on a select few bikes, it is obviously not a design problem. It is either causes by a part failure or an assembly problem at the plant.

Unfortunately it is similar enough to the minor wobble problem that you read about here that it is hard to get the dealer to take you seriously. You can blame the owners with the minor version of this problem for the lack of dealer support.

The only solution to the problem is to try and convince your dealer that this is not the same problem that others complain about. Keep in mind though that all the fixes that posters here say didn't work, like head bearing adjustment, tires, rims, etc., may actually fix your bike.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.