GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted some feedback from people who put high mileage on their trikes.

I am currently searching for a used trike (would like to match my GW, if possible) or contemplating a conversion of my current GW. The reason for the trike would be an extended tour of the US, including parts of Canada and Alaska. The trike would be a stress relief, both physically and emotionall, over such a long tour. In addition, I plan on pulling a camping trailer, so a trike would afford more options in this arena.

So, my questions are:

1. Would you choose a high mileage time (Yokohama 85,000 mile) or a run-flat (Bridgestone 50,000 mile) for the rear tires?

2. Since both these tire on the rear are radials, is there any concern about radial or non-radial on the front? Options reviewed
were Avon Cobra AV 91 (radial) and Bridgestone BT 45 (bias ply).

Inquiring minds what to know! :nerd:

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
There is so little weight on the rear tires, relatively speaking, that I have found that most any tire will get at least 50,000 miles easily.
What I’ve always been told is don’t mix radials and bias tires on the same axle.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I've used Michelin Pilot Active, Bridgestone BT 45, and Avon Cobra Trike tire on front of my 2005 with MotorTrike solid axle trike and can honestly say there is not significant difference in any of them. Better mileage on Michelin and Bridgestone and better comfort on Avon, but again not that much difference in any of them. No difference in ride Bias ply vs radial on front, non-issue IMO. I've got 150,000 miles on the trike and just put my 3rd set of rear tires on it. Went from Yokahama's to Cooper tire. Nice ride and less road noise. At 22-24lbs, rear tires last forever. I changed only due to age, not treadwear. Hope this helps. And I pull a Lees-ure Lite camper.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
I have the Avon "trike" tire on mine, and so far so good... No problems to announce

Ronnie

·
Registered
124 Posts
Same on the Avon Trike tire here. I use the Michelin Defenders in the back on my Roadsmith and keep those at 22-24 psi as well.. Front I run 40. I recently replaced rear tires due to age and not tread. Only 2nd set (back) and just now hit 107K

1 - 7 of 7 Posts