GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I am going to be on an 18 day tour here in a few weeks, and wanted to get my shoes changed out in Vegas. I tried calling Carter Powersports, and they told me they wanted $580 for a set of stones g704 and g709s. This did include installation, but to me that was still high. I can get a set sent to me off wingstuff for $320 and take it to a local guy and pay $50 to get the tires installed. I just don't get the markup.

Does anyone know a good place out there to get tires and have them installed at a reasonable price? I don't expect wingstuff prices, but I also don't expect almost double either..

I asked the guy at Carter if I could just ship them a set, and they told me that since I rode a goldwing it would cost $200 to get the tires installed, so I wouldn't be saving any money. I couldn't believe it.. So any recommendations would be great..

If I can't find a place, I am just going to say forget it and buy a set off wingstuff (or a local guy who will usually match) and get em changed here locally and be into it for about $370.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
It is only 2100 miles from Ga. to Vegas...if I was going to need tires after just 2100 miles I would not start the trip knowing that I needed tires...I would put new tires on before I started the trip...but that is just me :shock:

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is only 2100 miles from Ga. to Vegas...if I was going to need tires after just 2100 miles I would not start the trip knowing that I needed tires...I would put new tires on before I started the trip...but that is just me :shock:
Possibly if I was going in a straight line.. Currently I have about 3500 on the set. I am going to have about another 3-4k on after I reach Vegas. I was just wanting to wear the good off the tire, and not leave 4-5k left when I rip them off. That way when I get back, I still have about 3-4k before I need another set.

I was just trying to not throw about 3-4k of treadlife for no reason except convenience. I have built a day or two into hanging out in vegas, so getting tires changed won't hurt my timeframe.

I will likely just change them beforehand, but would prefer to do it this way..

·
Registered
4,665 Posts

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
The tires MAY be good for the entire trip. You can always keep a close watch on them, and if you can't make the entire trip, then you will have to pay the asking price where you get them changed.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The tires MAY be good for the entire trip. You can always keep a close watch on them, and if you can't make the entire trip, then you will have to pay the asking price where you get them changed.
That is what I normally try to do, but I don't have a ton of spare time built into the route. I would not want to waste half a day when I am supposed to be hanging out at mt. zion or the grand canyon getting tires changed.

I do tow a bushtec quantum GL and ride 2 up, so I would rather error on the side of caution with the wife on the bike with the trailer.

I would have preferred to have just DS'd the bike by now, but I'm been scrambling getting things together for this trip as it is. I didn't have time to get an aftermarket TPMS so I could just DS the bike. When I get back a new TPMS and Darksiding is in the future.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. I guess this thread can be closed. Batess6 hooked me up with a place (thanks), that got me in for the proper price range of this. It is about $160 cheaper than what the previous place quoted me, for the same tires.. Much more reasonable. This should still give me some miles on the tires when I get back, so I won't need to get a set before the smokey mountain ride-in.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
218 Posts
sorry i'm late, ride-now boulder 702- 451-1121, ride-now rancho 702- 656-1671. rancho installed my last one less than carter.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sorry i'm late, ride-now boulder 702- 451-1121, ride-now rancho 702- 656-1671. rancho installed my last one less than carter.
Thanks Saltmar. Ride now Rancho is indeed who I went with. I'll be there the morning of June 3rd if anyone wants to come by and say hello.. :)

Thanks for the input!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts