GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK...I agree I might be new to riding a lot of miles...bought myself a 2010 GL1800 new on June 1, 2010...bike just turned one year old...now have 19,780 miles...

...the original stock Dunlap tires lasted about 8500 miles...blew a tire in April of this year in lower Indiana (8500 miles), dealer had a set of Avon Cobras....installed...liked the feel of them in wet and cornering (I do corner heavily, have no kick stand left, floor boards are almost gone...love to find the twisties :lol: ...anyways...)

Heres my problem I wear out tires like they are made out of paper...is this normal for a tire to wear out in 10,000 miles...my Avon Cobra rear tire is down to the inner ply in the center.... after 11,280 miles (since April of this year)

I know I will get responses that say lack of maintenance...I would agree...however...I check my tire pressure every time the bike is pulled out of the garage...they sit at 41 cold psi...

So what am I doing wrong when I read on this forum that people get 15-17K miles on their tires....again I do corner alot...or corner hard...but why would the centers wear out so fast on this last set of tires (Avons)

Do I go to the dark side...?

I ask because I just put on ontother 6800 miles in 8 days and now need new tires (rear)...In July I have a 9000 mile trip planned so I need to time the replacement of the tires appropriately...If I replace my tires today (to be safe) I will never make it thru my entire trip in July unless I find a 17K plus mileage tire....

I read that the concensus out there is, stay away from D-350 & Elite 3, Avons don't work in hot climates...but I don't hear alot of negatives about bridgestones....how do they corner...do they wear longer...

Help...replacing tires (which it looks like at least three sets this year) are breaking the pocket book....

Ride Safe....

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,603 Posts
You are just hard on tires! :shock::joke::lol::lol: Seriously, alot of those big mileage tires are not dragging anything, sounds like you like to ride pretty aggressively. 900+ Lbs. & aggressive riding = new tires often. :shrug:

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I think speed is the number one tire killer. More so than total weight on the bike, assuming proper pressure, of course. My first set was gone in about 8K back in 2003. I've been riding more conservatively as I age and now 12K is not unusual. Speed makes heat which increases wear.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Hard acceleration and braking also accelerates tire wear. The harder the tire is working, the more heat is generated and the faster it wears.

Just wondering: Have you ever crashed a bike? Ever totaled a bike?

·
Registered
9,135 Posts
Darkside? I would say yes. Living in Florida and having very few "curves," I was wearing out rear tires to often. I now run a Cobra front and a C/T rear. Much better mileage. I can get 20k of my front and around 25-30k on my rear.

My $.02

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
10 to 12,000 miles is normal on a gold Wing no matter what tire you run if you ride hard at all. Don't feel bad, I replace the front tire on my Kawasaki concours 1400 at 3500 miles and the rear at 5500. Hows that for tire life?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Buying tires is just a fact of life.

Getting 10k out of a tire is new to me. I'm used to replacing on less than 4k, so I'm loving this.

Just replaced the stock Dunlops with Avons. The Avons already feel better, but I haven't ever liked Dunlops on any ride.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
I've never gotten more than 12K on any motorcycle rear tire, on the various bikes I've had. 5K is typical for my CBR1000RR. My experience has been for the GW:

D250's: 10,000 miles
Dunlop E3: 12,000 miles
Bridgestone: 9,000 miles

...so, since I couldn't tell any difference in the performance of any of these tires to me, I just put on a set of Dunlop E3's again. I had gotten the longest life out of them. My wife had a set of E3's put on at the same time I had the Bridgestones put on and at 9K my back tire was showing the cord. And her's, with same millege on the E3's, were only half way done. Granted, she doesn't weigh as much as I do, nor is she as hard on the tires as I am, but I'm going to try the E3's again, as I feel they are a fine tire. I've had Avons on a Valk, Metzler's on a VTX... I've never had a tire I "didn't" like... some do make more noise than others...

I also change both my tires at the same time, so the front is never completely worn down and I prefer it that way. And, I don't have time to run back and forth to the dealer for one tire, then the next a few months later.... nor, the desire to do it myself, etc.

Don't worry about the fact that tires are only lasting 10K miles.... this is typical. I don't know how anyone gets 15-17K out of a back tire... but if they do, they are not riding the bike like you and I do.

Z rated tires on my Mustang had to be changed every 18,000 miles or so... buying fresh rubber often is a fact of owning a performance machine.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
The more often you let the horses run, the more often they'll gallop to the tire store. ;)

The Darkside will give anyone more miles. How much more depends on each person's riding style and the types of road surfaces they ride.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
If you ride like you say, then consider yourself lucky to get 8K out of a set of tires. If you have ridden like you say then you probably never got much ove 4K on the offerings for smaller lighter bikes, so where is the beef?

To answer the question, Yes, Stones are a fine choice and will serve you well, but 7-8K is going to be it, more than likely. DS may net a few more miles,but that is a different story.

You want to play like you say, you will pay like who wrote it.

Keep the shiney side up.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I could help but notice the 6800 miles in 8 days works out to 850 per day. A 10 hour day in the saddle would mean traveling at 85 miles per hour for all 10 hours. My thought is that your doing more highway miles than you realize and this would make the center of the tire wear more and quicker than the sides. I use Stones and get 12-14000 per set. Your milage may vary, but regardless, change tires as needed, not just due to planning for a trip.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Wisconsin

I was going to ask where he was riding in Wisconsin to get that many miles in the twisties. I'd ride to WI to ride if I knew where there were that many curves to not be bored out of my mind with half that many miles. I like riding there, but didn't realize that there was that kind of roads. Maybe he's doing laps at Elkhart Lake:bow:.

Richard

·
Registered
195 Posts
Another factor is road type. If you are riding on a lot of chip sealed, rough texture roads they have the tendancy to chew up the tires also.

Eating tires is kind of a fact of life for hard riding. Over pressure can cause it also. I'll get hammered for this but I got better life out of my Bridgestones by going down a pound or two from 42 to 39 front and 42 to 40 on the rear. But before I start getting flamed, that is what has worked for me. Less cupping, smooth ride, a little more life out of the tire. No scientific data, no mathematical calculations, just ass in seat time for about 97K miles.

Charlie Morse
Land Elephant

·
Registered
19,457 Posts
10K would have to be average

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Have only used E-3's since buying my wing in 2005 I usually get 10-15 out of them as well. I also ride a little harder faster. I figure if I get anything above 10,000 I'm golden :nojoke:

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Once I get to 10,000 I just looking at when my calendar works for replacement of both tires. I don't try and squeeze more mileage out of the front, since I can feel the drop off in grip. I certainly wouldn't head out on a long trip...not even at 8,000 miles.

I think the people who claim so many miles either can't feel worn out tires or don't care. Sorry if that seems rude, but just because you haven't actually gone PAST the wear bars doesn't mean the tires aren't worn out.

Not enough reason to go Dark Side though...I just don't agree with the premise that the robust construction of car tires makes the different force dynamics of stress and tire behavior between car and motorcycle turning irrelevant. Just a personal decision.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hard acceleration and braking also accelerates tire wear. The harder the tire is working, the more heat is generated and the faster it wears.

Just wondering: Have you ever crashed a bike? Ever totaled a bike?
ChgoD...why do you ask if I ever crashed a bike....the answer is no, never totaled a bike...layed one down due to someone running a red light...but it was a Honda CB 360 back in 1979.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I was going to ask where he was riding in Wisconsin to get that many miles in the twisties. I'd ride to WI to ride if I knew where there were that many curves to not be bored out of my mind with half that many miles. I like riding there, but didn't realize that there was that kind of roads. Maybe he's doing laps at Elkhart Lake:bow:.
Richard

Sorry, we only have a few twisties in Wisconsin...bought the bike on June 1 2010...since then been to the Dragon 2 times, St Louis via back roads along the Mississppi (SP) twice, Iron Butt to Denver (all highway) then four days in the mountains finding twisted roads, then Nevada to Texas through the mountains some twisties & highway then through east side of Oaklahoma, northern Wisconsin back roads 8 or 9 times...I would say my mileage is about 60/40 highway/twisties....July's trip will be to Nova Scotia / New Foundland / Labrador....I would not mind going around Elkhart Lake's race track...would have fun, but would also wear out the floor boards too fast:lol:

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks to all who replied...I agree with everyone (safer that way :lol:)...I also replace my fronts when I replace my rears...I do not push tires since I am more of an aggressive driver...yes I do push 90-95 mph when on an open highway which I am sure wears down the tires...just surprised that no one has made a tire that lasts longer over the years...

Again...thanks....safe rides :doorag:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts