GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I only have 600 miles on the bike. How are these stock tires. They seem ok but I havn't did the rain yet but a few minutes. I hear it always rain at Americade so i want to be prepared.

Whats the best out there for handling and rain.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Deepfeet, the only tire that I have heard of that is no good in the rain is the OEM Dunlop. I and many others I personally know, got rid of them long before they wore out (simply felt they were dangerous on wet roads). I personally like and recommend the Metzler's. There have been many posts about the Bridgestone's being very good, and I do know that a heck of a lot of people who had the Avon's on their Valk's and GL1500's swore by them.

Unless a person has ridden all the tired in the different conditions, it would not be wise to accept what any one else says as gospel. You just have to try them out yourself. Hopefully, you will not have any bad experiences!

Ride safe pal!

·
Registered
824 Posts
Ya mean we can kiss & make up now??? :?

GO AF!

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Agree. In the rain, dump the Lops. Both the Stones and the
Metzs have good wet road traction.

·
Registered
12 Posts
What everybody else said. My Grandson & I were in an absolute downpour before we found a place to get off the interstate, and the Metzlers were rock solid. Although it did take 3 days to get the sheepskin dried out.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Rain Tires

Dunlops suck in the rain. Had the Stones great in all conditions, Dunlops scary in the rain great on dry pavement Possibly the worst tire on wet pavement I have ever ridden on :sw1: :sw1: :sw1: , now trying the Metzlers no opinion on these yet just installed.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Rain tires

Anything but the Dunlops, and I mean anything. Friends don't let friends ride on Dunlops in the rain 8) .

JMO

Mario

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Bulldawg..

Riding in the rain ....that comes under '--it happens', and, while
we don't plan on it, we have gotten damp before. We have even
got damp when we did plan on it.

And I thought I knew a little about riding in bum weather, then

I met Quickdraw.

Now I carry tire chains, wear studded tires, put a road sander
under the bellypan, mounted a plow on the front, wear
electric laundry, but,

What a ride!!!!!! Just kidding, QD....:lol:

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
looks like the metzers got the vote for sure.

·
Registered
43 Posts
warranty sale

Bulldog said:
Harry,

What in the world would you know about wet riding in Oregon?......LOL

Dawg
I can't find Hal's sale on the extended warranty. AQll I can find is $459 for the warranty. Can you help me?
Thanks
John

·
Registered
185 Posts
What is the word on the Avon venom that Hal has?

·
Registered
380 Posts
I guess I'll go against the grain, I put new Dunlops on my bike before going cross country last year, did the scuff in per Dunlop, ran in rain and wind and the tires stuck like glue, I haven't had the rode tar problem either with the tire, in fact, I am going to order new Lops within the next couple of weeks. :sw1: :flg:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Dun FLOPS in the wet bigtime,plus a tar snake will put you down in a hurry with the duns. Avons are next for me,had the avons on the old 1500 and FJ 1200,best tire I've run,tried the metz,there a good tire too. :)

·
Registered
615 Posts
My vote goes for the Metz'z , they are great in rain and the twisties. Joy

·
Registered
619 Posts
I vote for STONES. I rode from Henerdonville NC after visiting with Chef to Baton Rouge a total of 11 hrs in pouring rain and thunderstorms and felt comfortable the whole time. I am on my 2rd set and gonna be getting my 3th before Wing Ding!

bruce aka "the blue trawler"

:blw1:

·
Registered
69 Posts
I am also on the side of the lops.....just a few of us. Everyone says they are slick in the rain, and they do seem to move a little, but has anyone ever gone down on them. I can't believe they would sell tires if everyone wrecks with them in the rain. I am on my second set on my 02 1800, and I like the grip and the feel and the mileage. Of course, I really don't drive very aggresively, but on those rare occasions when I have to, they have never let me down, even in the rain.

·
Registered
134 Posts
blue trawler said:
I vote for STONES. I rode from Henerdonville NC after visiting with Chef to Baton Rouge a total of 11 hrs in pouring rain and thunderstorms and felt comfortable the whole time. I am on my 2rd set and gonna be getting my 3th before Wing Ding!

bruce aka "the blue trawler"

:blw1:
Hey Bruce, Have you tried the Metzlers yet? I, too, loved the Stones before I tried the Metzlers. Equal grip in the rain and in the twisties but buying 3 sets of tires a year gets expensive. The Metzlers are higher mileage and softer ride. As for the Lops?? Think I'll "stick" (pun intended :D ) with the Metzlers. Have a good 'un!!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts