GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to need a new set of tires for my 1800. After looking to the boards for some insite, I still don't know what to buy. Why is it one person will love a brand of tire and the next guy wouldn't take a new set for free? Some make noise, the next guy has no problems. Some bad on wet surface, next guy loves them. Is it the tires are that much different or is it just opinions????? Help Please. Thanks...Dave

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Because it is just opinions. That is why they are all over the place.

·
Registered
461 Posts
There are just too many variables for any one brand of tires to be right for everyone, bike setup, riding habits, roads, head bearing torque or lack of and on and on.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Riding styles and riding conditions vary so much from one person to another, the right tire for me might not be the right tire for you.
The danger you've exposed yourself to by asking this question, is that there are some on this forum that don't see why you wouldn't find their tire to also be perfect for you.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Why would we agree on bike tires? We can't even agree on bikes.... :lol: ...But oil is not subject to debate - at least not much debate - well, maybe a little - or some

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
There are a lot of opinions.

However I believe if you take all the tire opinions, divide by 4, take the sq root of the answer, and multiply that by the number of telephone poles per mile to the tenth power...you would come out with Bridgestone being the most recommended. Just my opinion. Flame suit cinched up.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
It is more than "Just Opinions". I believe that lots of the folks report on their own experiences with the different tires.

We all ride differently. Under different conditions etc. That could explain the different and wide range of reporting.

Everyone is right, at least in their own circumstances.

Bulldog

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Yes, I was terrified when I read how dangerous Dunlop D-250's are on wet roads. However, I wore out two sets in 26K miles without ever slipping a tire. I then went to the E3's, and found out they wobble! Funny, mine don't wobble.

I guess you're just gonna have to pick one, then get on here and tell us how good/bad they are :roll:

·
Registered
831 Posts
I just put on the Bridgestone g704 and g709's on my bike and man what a difference. It turns awesomely now and I love the ride. Now to see how the mileage turns out on them and how they wear. When they wear out I will have an opinion.

Thats how it works :)

By the way, here is my opinion on the D250's. OK tires that lasted well but cupped pretty bad and got a wobble at 7k. I like the new ones better.
No wobble now.

DJ

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
I like the stones 704 & 709 .

I have E3 Dunlop on the front of the bike currently..... over 3k miles. It does not feel 'planted' in the twisties like the stone did.

Could not find a stone when I needed a front tire.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
My only experience with the D-250's is on the wing. over 12,000 miles, and no problem what-so-ever. Good grip, but, during light to moderate rain, I keep it to 55-60 mph. Never had any problems.

I made a trip to Minot North Dakota in the past 3 weeks, put 3K miles on the bike. 1000 miles each way, 700 miles each way in rain. Still rock solid, but I don't drive like it's sunny and 75 during the rain either.

Looks like I could go another 3-4k miles on them.
I like Bridgestone, so I think those will be my next try.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
I have determined after considerable research and scientific discovery that only tire that is worth you considering to place on your GoldWing is a 'New' tire.

To paraphrase the summary on my lengthy diagnostic report as published here, but subsequenty deleted due to it's excessive length on the 'Never Ending Discussion':

OLD TIRES SUCK

·
Registered
922 Posts
I would say just about any of them are better than the stock d250's. My 250's cupped so bad within 5k I had to replace them, this could have been due to running the correct air preasure. I now run 42 in front and rear, my e-3 lasted 10k and prob could have gone another 3 but I like to play it safe. The e3's do howel when they start to wear, I have yet to have them slip, except on gravel. I ride hard enough to grind down the header covers going into the corners, so I am not easy on tires.

·
Registered
311 Posts
salyzyn said:
I have determined after considerable research and scientific discovery that only tire that is worth you considering to place on your GoldWing is a 'New' tire.

To paraphrase the summary on my lengthy diagnostic report as published here, but subsequenty deleted due to it's excessive length on the 'Never Ending Discussion':

OLD TIRES SUCK
I like that thinking...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Opinions

.............Because an opinion is just that, an opinion. It is a belief or conclusion held with confidence, but not substantiated by positive knowlege or objective truth.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Why so many opinions about tires?
Why would you even ask such a question??

LOL Everyone has an opinion about everything and not just motorcycles, parts and fluids.

You may as well ask why are there so many opinions about oil and oil filters.....OOPS now I did it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I am on my fifth set of D250's and I haven't had 2 sets the same. Some slip in the wet,some don't. Some wobble,some don't.Some fall into corners,some take a little more effort.Some slip badly on tar snakes,some don't.
One observation I have so far: The ones that went over easy in the corners were more likely to be wobblers.
I run 41/42 PSI air.
I am ready to go back to Stones on the front but still deciding on rear. I do know it will not be a Dunlop.
Just my opinion.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Tires!!!!! Why so many different opinions???????
Why, because we are an incredibly opinionated group, about anything and most everything. We also have our own experiences on various tire brands and those inevitably fall into either favorable or unfavorable opinions, so we end up sharing those thoughts and experiences.

Going beyond that, in most motorcycle communities you are going to find a wide range of riding styles, likes and dislikes of various types of roads that may or may not be technical and demanding that are traveled on, speeds that are ridden, a wide range of types of weather that riders will and/or will not ride in, a significant range in ability and motorcycling experience, and last but not least a wide range of mileage traveled.

I think all rider’s experiences and opinions are important and aid in making informed decisions, but I know for my own choices and decisions on products and especially tires, I listen more carefully to the riders I know who do a "lot" of riding in a lot of varied conditions and see how that matches with my own experiences with the amount of riding I, personally do. The demands one rider might require of a tire might vary significantly from quite a few other riders.

Remember that the national average for all motorcycles is less than 2000 miles annually (although I am confident that average is much higher for Wing owners) so that too might factor into your overall review process and the weight you give to an opinion.

DaleC

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
15,500 mi on D250's and many more mi's left. 2 plugs in rear no loss of air so far! I have 3 rear stones and 1 front stone waiting to make a long trip. So far, since plugged, just commute to work and short trips. The D250's have served well! if i could find a deal on those, I would buy again! I'm only aggresive by myself!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts