GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have trouble w/ E3s not maintaining pressure?

Mine lose about 1 - 1.5 lbs of air in 24 hours. Both tires. I checked the front and found slight leakage around the bead. I took the front wheel to the place that mounted the tires (I didn't buy them there) and they couldn't find a problem. They took the tire off the wheel and remounted it with no change.

I have about 5k miles on them now.

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
From many many set of tires on my 201,500 miles on the wing. I found you have to really soak the bead, get it wetter than heck with soapy water or some other lube, really really wet, then fill the tire to 60 psi and let it back down to where your gonna ride...

Since doing that a long time ago, all my tires maintain pressure.

Hope this helps 8)

·
Registered
17,383 Posts
Test the bead seats again like you did teh first time. If they still bubble, then, of course, they are still leaking. Check around teh valve stem too with the bubble soulution as you stress it a bit. Check or replac teh valve core insert and set it to be just snug -- a bit of soapy water on its gasket is a good thing too. WHen replacing tires or correcting bead seat leaks, it is good practice to use a scouring pad to clean the wheel's bead seats of all old rubber residue.

prs

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies.

Valve stems were replaced when the tires were mounted. They don't leak. (I checked).

I always check them cold.

The leak is definitely the bead, at least on the front tire. I didn't actually check the rear, I just assume it is the same.

I just got back from a 2500 mile ride. I added air every two days to the front. I didn't check the rear (at the time I figured it didn't leak as much) and when I finally checked it it about a week later it was at 15lbs.

I think I will pull the wheels and take them somewhere else.

Thanks again

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I had some wind taken out of my sails today. I removed the rear wheel and looked a little more closely. I found a nail in the tire.
After plugging it I did the bucket o' water test and couldn't find any leak at the bead.

The front is still leaking, though, right along the bead near the valve stem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.