GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems like the rainier I go the balder the tires get. I have 14,500 and don't want to go much more. Can go 16,000 or so in the dry but it is a wet time of the year.

I have heard the Avon is the tire of choice for those going to a 70 series. My dealer has an Avon 180-70-16 "Venom". Neither he nor I know what a Venom is. The Matching front tire is not in stock til next week.

Anyone know if the Venom is a particular designation for the Rattlesnake country or is there more than one choice?

What about the Dunlop Elite for the Valkyrie 180-70-16. Says it has a new tread for rain and deeper grooves for mileage.

As you can tell, I am going to put a 70 series tire on of some type. Would appreciate any update. I haven't had an avon tire since 1957, when I used Avon ribbed on my British bikes.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I'm not going to tell you what to run or not run on your bike. But do not mix radial and bias ply tires. The Dunlop Elites are bias tires and the 1800 comes with radials.

·
Registered
20,954 Posts
I doubt you will be happy very long with 70 series on your 1800. JMO

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Avon 70 series-Dunlop Elite for Valk.

I was understanding that the new Dunlop Elite for the Valkyrie is a radial. If the 70 series turn out to be wrong, it is a 200 dollar experiment that proved a point. I believe the bike was designed with 70 series front and rear. Could be wrong. If our society was not so litigious, Honda and other manufacturers might be a lot more open about all things of their bike's design.

I am very interested in wet weather handling. I never push the envelope in dry weather, and ride in all weather as most do in cages.

Thanks for you posts.

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
de j'vu

The Valk tires are higher speed rate and heavier load capacity, at least scording to the Dunlop site: www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/fitmentguide.asp

I plan on doing that unless I learn of a good reason not to. I hope to gain a bit of ground clearance, correct the speedo to some extent, get a slightly higher final drive ratio. I do not know if the speed rating and capacity improvements apply to other makes of tires.

prs

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Truisms

I loved your quote:

"Well Chester; ; choos'n friends goes kinda fast when the shoot'n starts."

Fairly profound for a horse opera. I like it.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Tom,please give us a report when you try out the 70 series.

I was considering a 70 at my last tire change,but after posting here there were enough negative comments that I decided to stay with 60s.

I have 11,000 on my current set of Metzeler's, so will be needing tires sometime this spring,

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
70 series rear tire success?

Jeff, have you heard any negative comments from users of the 70 series? You might see Chef's comments on the General Board.

I plan to carry a couple of 4 inch square by 3/4 thick blocks to make up for the short center stand. My guess is that there are some taller stands in R&D at Honda, because I think they rode the bike with 70 series tires in the beginning. My guess is that the small rear tire came about to give a largely false appearance of better performance.

E-mail me at
[email protected] so I will have your e-mail address.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Dunlop makes two different 180/70R16 rear radials. The D206 for the Valkrie and the D251 for the Honda VTX 1800 cruiser. I bought a D251 rear for my GL 1800 because the tread pattern looked like a better match to the Dunlop 180/60R16 stock rear and because the load capacity exceeds the stock rear. The D251 is in the garage awaiting the existing rear to wear out. I will certainly advise my opinion of performance after I put on 15000 miles or so.
I recommend checking out the D251 before buying a D206.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Tom,
I made a post on the old board asking if it was a good idea to use a 70 series tire on the 1800.

Although I can't remember much from that far back(after all,it was farther back than yesterday) most were comments like "the 1800 was designed for a 60 series,don't mess with it"

I really don't recall if any actual 70 series users responded,but it seems like there was on 70 series user that didn't like the additional height he got from the tire.
To me it seems the extra ground clearance would be a plus,and if it fixes the speedo error to boot,that's a bonus.

I'll go back and look at Chef's post again.Did he mention how many of those tires went to 1800 riders? ( like I said I have CRS)

·
Registered
676 Posts
I forgot to mention why I'm trying the 70 series;
1.Same as taller gearing. RPM's will drop and hopefully fuel milage may go up.
2.1800 has so much low end as is, so I will not miss slight loss in acceleration.
3. Should improve or correct speedo error.
4. Should result in smoother ride over minor freeway bumps due to taller sidewall.
5. Tire milage could go up due to fewer revolutions but also depends on rubber compounds.
Granted, all the differences are small but I don't see any negatives. Ride height in the rear will increase which will increase rake and quicken steering. I think I can live with that. Overall. It is certainly worth trying one time. I might really like them.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is the 60 series a compromise?

Jeff, I think there is every reason to believe that the GL1800 was designed originally with 70 series on both ends.

The gearing of the Speedometer matches the 70 series. The Swing Arm cope fits the 70 series. The fender well fits the 70 series. The harshness of the ride favors 70 series. The naked bike looks awkward with a large wheel in the front and a small wheel in the back.

The only thing that is in favor of the 60 series is the center stand and I believe that was changed at the last minute.

It will be difficult to find anyone that was in the early 1800 Wing development team that will discuss this issue.

However, if it quacks like a duck, waddles like a duck, swims like a duck, you've got a duck. Oh, that was someone else!

Anyway, the Avon 70 series front tire came in and so tomorrow I will have a set of 70 series Avon Venom tires on bot ends of the bike.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
I'll be anxiously waiting for you to tell us how you feel about the 70's.

I've got another month before I can even look at my bike,and still have a few thousand miles left on my Metzeler's.
By then you will probably have another set of tires worn out!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts