GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a lot of research and badly needing back tires for my GL trike, I bit the bullet and installed a pair of 215-70-15 tires. They fit and do not rub
anywhere. I now have a little more rubber on the ground and decreased
my rpm at 70 close to 100 rpm. Not alot but every little bit counts. As long as I can keep my rpm below 3000, I get pretty good gas mileage. Above 3000 I can almost see the gas gauge fall.
Time will tell.

Dray

·
Registered
524 Posts
What manufacturer tires did you go with?

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
Your comment about engine speed indicates that the tires you purchased are not the same diameter as the originals.

IMO, the most important consideration in selecting tires for the rear of 1F/2R trikes is tread design unless a narrower tire/wheel combination (same offset) can be found and is within the budget. Open treads are very important, in my view, because of the inherrent hydroplaning propensity of trikes.

After a lot of research and badly needing back tires for my GL trike, I bit the bullet and installed a pair of 215-70-15 tires. They fit and do not rub
anywhere. I now have a little more rubber on the ground and decreased
my rpm at 70 close to 100 rpm. Not alot but every little bit counts. As long as I can keep my rpm below 3000, I get pretty good gas mileage. Above 3000 I can almost see the gas gauge fall.
Time will tell.

Dray

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
I have 39,000 miles on my trike and need rear tires is that about what you should get mileage wise?
39000 isn't bad tire mileage on a trike by any means. Some last longer and some not as long. Inflation pressures and where/how you ride makes a substantial difference, as well as the tread designs and compounds. If a tire will last 40000 miles on a comparably maintained passenger car, it should last substantially longer on a trike given the weight differential. I would think that on average, trike rear tires need replacement because of age before the treads are worn out.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
What manufacturer tires did you go with?

Hello Steven, If you are considering rear tires for your CSC, remember that the opening to the fender well is "very close" for the OEM tire size. Any larger tire will probably have to be installed de-inflated. (is that a word.....lol..) Not a good thing.

Any high quality auto tire will serve the purpose well, Consider a tire with little or no hydro-planing issues (very important). I went to tirerack.com and researched tires for hydro-planing issues.

Now that I think about it, I'm sure you of all people know all about this stuff......!!! Hugs to the two of you....!!!

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have 22'' wheels on mine and they don't rub.And they look great and improved gas mileage as a bonus.Only thing I have to deflate to install or remove.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Hello Steven, If you are considering rear tires for your CSC, remember that the opening to the fender well is "very close" for the OEM tire size. Any larger tire will probably have to be installed de-inflated. (is that a word.....lol..) Not a good thing.

Any high quality auto tire will serve the purpose well, Consider a tire with little or no hydro-planing issues (very important). I went to tirerack.com and researched tires for hydro-planing issues.

Now that I think about it, I'm sure you of all people know all about this stuff......!!! Hugs to the two of you....!!!
Thanks Wilson.
Our mutual friend (who went to AK) send me an email re the Michelins he put on his. Yea, I know about the tightness in the well. Tire width is cridical. 70R max.
Hi to Mrs. for us. Have a great time in NH. All roads from flood are now open so you will not have any problems. We are leaving for FL on Friday. Vet was picked up today and will be there before us.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts