GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
Oh boy. Who wants to start out on this one? Is there anything about tires that we haven't already discussed? :roll:

I'll tell you what. Look up. See the "GL1800Riders.com" banner at the top. OK, under that is a line of text. First is FAQ. Second is search. Yes, that's the one you want. :D

Please run a few searches first. There should be enough to keep you busy anywhere from a few hours to a few days. After you review everything that is archived, if you still have a question, then let us know.

Sorry if I'm cranky about this... but we discuss more about tires here than anything else. There's plenty to be found in a search, without starting a new thread.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Mine came with Bridgestones, I'm now on my second set of Dunlops. I got 13K out of each of the first two sets. The Bridgestones had become very cupped and the ride was pretty choppy when you healed over even a little bit. The first set of Dunlops wore down to the wear indicators on the rear tire but they had also become somewhat cupped but nothing near the Bridgestones. I run 41 PSI front and rear and have since the bike was new.

Some people on this board don't care for the wet handling of the Dunlops but I've never had a problem. A lot of people on this board have indicated problems with the balance on the Metzlers and the Avons have had spotty availability. I will probably go to one of these two next time if their problems are resolved between now and then. You're going to hear good and bad about all brands.

·
Registered
287 Posts
mrgl02 said:
Oh boy. Who wants to start out on this one? Is there anything about tires that we haven't already discussed? :roll:

I'll tell you what.

Please run a few searches first.

Sorry if I'm cranky about this... but we discuss more about tires here than anything else.

Easy man. :mad1: This poor guy does not realise that we have been here for years talking about TYRES. :banghead: Tell him to get on his :biker: and get out of town. :luck:

:yes: :rw1: :luck:

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Ignore the grouches

Billy - just ignore the grouchy old farts. They suffer from cabin fever.

Generally, pressures are 41/41 cold, even though some manuals have a little less.

And tire types are a matter of personal taste, some having different experiences than others, some riding in different conditions. But about 80% will say Dunlops have poor wet road traction, 40% will say Bridgestones don't run far enough, and 40% will say Metzlers wobble.

Myself, I prefer tires that are turning about sixty, with air in them. If they are turning at the correct speed, you won't care what brand they are.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
GL02,

Remember when you where a newbie? I do. You sure asked a lot of asked and answered questions.

Give some of the folks less informed than you a little latitude. We did that for you. Besides, when Hal opened this new board up, we all voted not to have any Board police. Consider your services as a cop no longer needed!

Bulldog

·
Registered
20,948 Posts
Bill
I have used Bridgestones,Dunlops and Metzlers and they were all pretty good tires for me. But I like my current Metzlers best so far. Have been running about 39 psi front and 41 rear. I love to read about others tires but if I didn't like to read about tires I would just not click on threads clearly indicating tires. Seems to be quite a few flareups on the board lately,must be getting to be that time of year when some are getting bored with the internet and antsy about riding.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Hey Billy, welcome to the tire wars!!

Go to the top of the page and click on Search then type in the keyword: tires

You will get a ton of threads relating to tires and many, many opinions!!

enjoy the reading and don't worry about all the old farts complaining about a subject covered. Welcome to the GL1800 board and don't be afraid of some of the mouthy ones here!!

·
Registered
287 Posts
mrgl02 said:

I'll tell you what. Look up. See the "GL1800Riders.com" banner at the top. OK, under that is a line of text. First is FAQ. Second is search. Yes, that's the one you want. :D

Please run a few searches first. There should be enough to keep you busy anywhere from a few hours to a few days. After you review everything that is archived, if you still have a question, then let us know.

Sorry if I'm cranky about this... but we discuss more about tires here than anything else. There's plenty to be found in a search, without starting a new thread.
Thats you well told off and put in your place. Keep up the questions Billy.

:clap2: :rw1: :clap2:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hi Billy and welcome,
Just got a new set of 'stones on my '02. I changed the old ones at 11,750 miles ONLY because we are headed to AZ at the end of the month. I wanted NOT to worry about getting work done away from home. I could have gotten about 2K more if I wanted. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts