GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only ever ran Bridgestones on my wings, how do folks fined the Dunlop elite 4's compared to the stones?

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
I've not run the E4, but the front tire that came on my bike was a Dunlop. Personally, I didn't like it because it tracked grooves and tar snakes terribly. I gave an Avon Roadrider a try, but had cupping issues. In the end, I went with the Stone 709 and could not be happier. Just my experience.

Reactions: Hoopdc

·
Registered
519 Posts
Until now I've always run Dunlops E-3's and then E-4's. Always happy with them, but others may not agree. I got 17-19k miles on them before needing to be replaced. That's with using centramatics, 41-42 psi, 75% 2 up and probably overloaded, 25% pulling the trailer and about 50% highway miles. As I said "until now". I went dark side with a CT about 10k ago and installed a Stone 709 on the front. DS on the rear to get a little more gross weight allowance and
for the run flat safety aspect. Stone on the front to just try something different since I was changing the rear. Hope this helps. I'm now at a little over 100k on the wing. :wink2:

·
Registered
246 Posts
Have had 3 Wings and have never run anything but Dunlops until I bought my current F6B. It came with Bridgestones. But I have a new set of Elite 4's sitting in the garage waiting to get put on. I have never got less than 15,000 out of a set of Dunlops. I have a couple of friends that are running the 4's and they love them. I have had Centramatics on my last 2 Wings and will try beads when I put the new 4's on my F6b. Most of my friends use beads and like them. Heck of a lot cheaper than the Centramatics. Hope the beads work.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I've heard of more complaints on the front E4 than on the rear E4. The complaints have been with noise and cupping. But, this doesn't seem to effect everyone. Go figure. I am currently running a Bridgestone G709 front paired with a Dunlop E4 rear. Only 4K miles with this setup, but so far I'm liking this combo.

·
Registered
189 Posts
My current 17 Wing came with the Bridgestone tires.
Ever since when I bought my 02 in November of 01, I have used nothing but Dunlop tires, Elite 3 and the elite 4 when they were released. That is about 15 years with Dunlop's. The biggest difference between the two, Bridgestone and dunlop, is how they steer in curves. For me,the Bridgestone require a constant input to stay on line in a curve, where as the Dunlop are more neutral feeling. The Dunlop's will hold a line without additional input once leaned into the curve. For me, this makes a change of line or corrections to the line much smoother with less effort. I got 10,600 miles from the original Bridgestone on my 17. The current Dunlop's have 9k on them with a little less than 4/32 tread left. I have a new pair of E4's waiting their turn. HTH

1 - 6 of 6 Posts