GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you ask me, these Dumflops 453 are pretty slippery...they do not inspire confidence...well, it could be the bike: I am coming off an RT so a Goldwing is gonna feel like a truck

What seems to be the consensus on good tires for the 18+ Winger?

NOTE: I been screaming/begging for a 200 rear tire for a GL since my 2002 Wing...I am happy about that rear size now.

Reactions: Woodsracer1

·
Love The DCT
12,003 Posts
I never had a problem with the Dunlop 423’s even in some pretty good downpours. You have three choices of MT tires; Dunlop 423’s, Elite 4’s, and the Bridgestone 852/853’s. Got a set of Elite 4’s going on tomorrow.

:doorag:

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I never had a problem with the Dunlop 423’s even in some pretty good downpours. You have three choices of MT tires; Dunlop 423’s, Elite 4’s, and the Bridgestone 852/853’s. Got a set of Elite 4’s going on tomorrow.

Murf,

Please let me know how the Elite4 work compared to the 453

·
Love The DCT
12,003 Posts
Murf,

Please let me know how the Elite4 work compared to the 453
Unfortunately that may not happen till next year. It’s 20 deg F as I’m leaving for the dealer. The white stuff is supposed to fall later this week. If it does, I’m done riding till next year. :frown:

·
Registered
19,219 Posts
I have used both Dunlops & Bridgestones and personally I would not use the Dunlops for free

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I am gonna try the Dumflops Elite4 next time. The sportmax III worked really well on my last RT.
I thought they held the road better than the Mich PR4 on the RT. The Mich might have been slightly better on water, but I thought all them cracks on the design caused these tires to drift on hard leans...of course, I could be wrong about that. On tires, its all about guessing, ain't it.

I keep wondering how long is it gonna be before someone decides to do some empirical research on the efficacy of motorcycle tires--for Goldwings

Anecdotal: just for the sake of story telling: back in 2002 (my first Wing) people used to throw away the Dunlop 452 (I think they were) right off the show room before they drove the bike out...that's how bad the PR was on those tires. Mine slipped so bad that finally one day, with my girl on the back, I said: "that's it, my last slip" and that's how I became a Darksider--which I am not anymore. Though if you have an objective sense of mind, you would be hard pressed to find a deficiency with a car tire on a wing. ...wonder if anyone is darksiding with the new models and how it effects the DCT.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts