GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to buy a set of new tires for my 2002 wing,, I want to know whats the best tire to buy. suggestions are very welcome. thnx:bow:

·
Registered
17,098 Posts
I am about to buy a set of new tires for my 2002 wing,, I want to know whats the best tire to buy. suggestions are very welcome. thnx:bow:
Best deal is likely Bridgestone. Its a very good tire. Worse choice is probably the USA OE fitment -- Dunslip 250, but even it has its fans. Best overall tire so far in my experience is Avon Cobra, but relatively expensive. Best traction Avon Venom R, also relatively expensive. Metzeler has its fans and so do Dunnie E-3, but either are far behind the Avons or Bridgestones in my pecking order. But this topic is like blondes VS redheads VS brunettes; try 'em all and pick your poison.

prs

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I hope my tires never wear out so I won't have to make a choice:eek:4:
Although I'm headed for 10,000 miles fast.
Will probably replace before the heavy spring/summer rides

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
Since they wear out fast, every tire change use a different brand. Then keep using the one you like the best. :eek:

·
Lost Member
150 Posts
Tried the stones, and liked them .Average mileage. Tried the E3's and not bad,but them babies sure can sing. :shock:
Jeff

·
Registered
357 Posts
i kind of prefer avon venoms for handling and long wear. although i am running d 250's. they wear good make lots of noise, and i got them cheap with wheel new on ebay. i just took a stone off my v-star 1300, 7000 mile shot wore out. terrible handling the last 3000 mile. replacing them with avon venoms. one thing you have to remember. the harder the rubber the longer they last and the less grip they have. avon seems to give the best of both worlds for me. here we go on the tires again. bill

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
You will be getting answers swearing allegence to most every brand out there and this is one of the most contentious topics on this board, followed closely by the motor oil threads.

My opinion (every A-hole has one) is that it depends on what you want out of a set of tires. If you are interested in long mileage with much of that on interstate highways and are willing to give up some grip in the twisties, then Dunlop would fit the bill. If you want all the grip that can be had on a GL tire and you are willing to give up mileage, then I think Metzlers would be a great choice. If you want some of both (and there is no such thing as getting all of both), the from sticky at the top to rocks at the bottom, my listing would be as follows:

Metzler
Avons (Cobra front, Venom-R rear)
Bridgestones
Dunlops

You might have guessed that I favor twisty roads and Avon tires, but the wear rate of the Metzler was unaccpetable to my standards. I found the Avons had just about the same degree of stickyness as the Metzlers but they give me MUCH better mileage. I was happy with my Bridgestones but the Avons were stickier and gave at least the same amount of wear. Dunlops? I refer to them as "Dunrocks", so that should tell you how I feel about them. I have even been known to tell people I would rather ride on the rim than put Dunlops back on my Wing.

All brands have had some issues over the years. Avons had tread seperations for a time, while others had chunks of tread fly off at speed. Michelin and Pirelli are the only ones I know of that gave up on making Wing tires because it was too difficult to make a tire that could handle the heavy weight put on them (unless they have since come back out with a Wing tire).

I had been using Avon Venom-R tires and were very happy with their bite and longevity but Avon came out with its replacement, the Cobras. I tried a set and I went through 2 rear tires in about 10,000 miles and the front was still good, both in tread depth and with no cupping. Each rear I worn down till it looked like a slick. :eek: I just replace the rear with an Avon Venom-R that I found so I expect my mileage to go way up, probably around 9,000 miles, which is good enough for me and the way I ride.

Good luck on your choice and be prepared for some strong opinons from the faithful posters on this board.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I heard when you purchase a new set of Bridgestones they come with a new crushwasher :lol:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Put 3000 on new E3s...Here in FL I found them to be slick and loose in the wet or dry,scary in the wet...41/41 PSI
Thanks to BARTMAN I went to HONDA OD JACKSONVILLE and got a set of STONES 704/709 for $295.31 installed. WOW, what a difference...The first 20 miles were slick due to being new..After gas up the next 150 miles were awesome. Softer ride, did not feel every ant I hit. Handleing is what I feel it should be and feels very good in corners 1 or 2 up.

After 400 miles I feel I made a great choice at a great price at a great dealership....Your opinion my vary...THUNDERWING

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
I had tried stones (709-704) then the tire shortage and had to use the E3's..While I never road them in the rain,I took the rear off because after 2500 miles it sang to the point of bugging me..
I then had a set of stones again,and I did ride them in the rain,The bike felt like it was on rails..

I ride something else now,But I'd put Stones on my bike in a NY minute if I had too..

Truth is,only you can decide what brand of tires fit what you expect out of a set of tires.??

Good luck in your quest..:thumbup:

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
If your goal is riding the curves... E3's.

If your goal is riding the curves HARD... Bridgestones.

I prefer whichever one of the above that I can get cheaper when I need tires.

If you don't ride curves, then it doesn't much matter what you use.

·
Premium Member
2,902 Posts
If your goal is riding the curves... E3's.

If your goal is riding the curves HARD... Bridgestones.

I prefer whichever one of the above that I can get cheaper when I need tires.

If you don't ride curves, then it doesn't much matter what you use.
:agree:Well said.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts