GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I'm convinced...gonna try the darkside. I got a spare wheel from an '05, mine is 2010, so has tpms. So should I get a spare sensor? If I try a run flat at 28-30 psi, how do I keep the light off? Or is it simlper to just ignore or tape over the damned thing? (I'm not a tpms fan, really, since I ckeck regulalrly, and the tpms allows front to go down to at least 34 without coming on...I generally keep it at 39 - 40).

I'm thinking of Michelin Alpin PA3 ZP for my first CT, based on the wealth of information on this forum.

Any thoughts welcomed...

·
IronMan
17,459 Posts
YOU COULD SELL 05 RIM N GET NEWER ONE WITH SENSOR . ALPIN GREAT TIRE -HAD 23,500 ON MINE TOOK OFF FOR TRIP - GOT 2000 MORE TO GO ON IT IF I WANT (SPARE ) I,M RUNNING A WANLI RF -V RATED $85 DELIVERED - CHINESE :eek:4:LIKE MOST OTHER STUFF WE BUY . HAVE 8,000 AND REAL HAPPY WITH IT. NOT AGRESSIVE RIDER AND NOT WHOLE LOT TWISTIES HERE IN FL.I RUN 26/28 LBS BOTH ALPIN N WANLI WEAR EVEN. 30/32 N CENTER WEARS OUT .I RUN SOLO MOST OF TIME.SOMEONE WILL CHIME IN ON TPMS. GOOD LUCK . ONCE YOU GET THE CRASH N BURN OUT OF THE WAY DS ONLY WAY TO GO. WELCOME TO DS

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Some buy a tool or get dealer to register the front tire as the rear and the rear as the front. This allows the rear one (that thinks it's the front) to run at a lower pressure and the light to stay off. I happened to get one of the few pre-production TireWatch systems that show actual pressure and temperature from the OEM sensors. My idiot light is always on and I just ignore it. Your best bet is to buy an aftermarket system and ignore the OEM one. .....or just manually ck your pressure all the time. I SEE my actual pressure within a few minutes driving and haven't added air to either tire for months.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I helped a friend go Double Dark yesterday on his 2012, we simply switched the physical sensors from wheel to wheel while the old tires were both removed.

No programming required!

TPMS light stays out with 32psi in the rear (Front sensor).

4 of us are in this area are all running the same tire combo; Alpin Pa3 ZP rear and the BT45 front.

Lots of miles in these tires in this "twisty deprived" state of OK.

Brentman

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Love twisties

Thanks, as you can see, I'm in KS...also twisty deprived. 200 miles south and the Ozarks start with some rideable roads. I don't know how to classify my twisty riding, as far as level of aggressiveness is concerned. Faster than some, slower than some. I generally go in between 11/2 and 2 times posted speed, exit somewhat higher. That said, my season goal this year is another trip to VA (visit brother) via Cherahola, Dragon, etc. and my first trip to the evil sisters in TX. So more twisties, but as always, too much slab getting there. Also, I'm riding solo after accident with wife aboard...she may never ride again. With riding gear, I'm all of 180 lbs, so shouldn't be that much load on tires.

That said, I haven't really considered front tire, but have read the better CT on rear can cause the front to break before the rear, which would probably cause me to buy new undershorts, if I'm lucky. Is it too much to go double at first? If not, is there a better combo for this riding style?

As always. I appreciate all the feedback in this forum.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
This thread yesterday has a few posts on the subject

And this thread has some additional thoughts on your options. A search will pull up dozens of posts on this subject.

OK, I'm convinced...gonna try the darkside. I got a spare wheel from an '05, mine is 2010, so has tpms. So should I get a spare sensor? If I try a run flat at 28-30 psi, how do I keep the light off? Or is it simlper to just ignore or tape over the damned thing? (I'm not a tpms fan, really, since I ckeck regulalrly, and the tpms allows front to go down to at least 34 without coming on...I generally keep it at 39 - 40).

I'm thinking of Michelin Alpin PA3 ZP for my first CT, based on the wealth of information on this forum.

Any thoughts welcomed...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts