GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may seem strange, but it seems to be a fact with mine. I have the Baker wings w/lowers, just like I had on my 03. But with the 04, there's almost no heat coming from the radiators. I used to open up the lower wings, and draw heat towards me, now all I get is cold air. I know the 04's have the new ECM, but did they do somthing with the thermostat? The temp. gauge stays just below center when warmed up. We rode for 85 miles today, & that was a cold 50 degrees at 70 MPH.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I have an 04 and like you said the temp gauge has never gone past just below of center.

·
Registered
185 Posts
my temp guage stays low also. I get very little heat through the vents, but since this is my first goldwing I have nothing to compare to.
Did your fairing edge moldings go back on good after installing the Bakers?
Mine don't want to stay snapped in place.
I wish I would have installed wings that did not require drilling.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Stapler101,
My fairing edge moldings went back just fine. Sorry you're having trouble with yours. Maybe someone here can give you a solution to your problem. Good luck.

·
Registered
759 Posts
if you are talking about the lower vents on the top shelter housing..they only give cold air..they are not heat vents. same with the upper vents on the dash....fresh air only. baker wings or similar can be adjusted to throw warm air onto your legs.

·
Registered
41 Posts
This is my first wing but the lower vents put out warm air if I have my feet on the outside of the pegs. The vents would work better if they were vertical, directing air right or left.

My temp guage stays below center and we have had some 90 plus degree days this winter.

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
I can feel heat coming from the radiator area when I stick my hand out there.

I do not have any air deflector wings in that area.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Stapler, perhaps the hole is just off a little? Do the end reach the tabs? Are the side tabs lining up to the notches? If not, then the hole would be high or low some, just oval it out with a file a some! Would guess honda bored out the water passages in the heads for a faster flow, this is a quick mild fix to the heating problem. Increasing flow or radiator size can gain some change for the better up to point. For sure Honda possible redesigned the radiator too, same size but maybe one or two extra passes with smaller diameter tubing. Sounds like a better cooling system, anyway.

·
Registered
2021 Red/Black Goldwing Tour DCT
720 Posts
temp gage

Wingnut....the temp gage on my 01 & 04 has never gone past just below center.When I put my feet on the highway pegs I feel a lot of heat from the radiators, but I don't feel any heat from the vents. :luck:

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Verdayne,
No wonder you didn't feel any heat, 70mph and 50 degrees. We just came over the hill and through the canyon last night with temps at 48-50 and I was praying for the thing to overheat. LOL
Ours is a 02, haven't done the ECM and don't know if I will, and only once was it one mark above half, but other than that it is always about a needles width below half. Try it again when 80 outside, who knows maybe the 04's have A/C. One can only hope.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Robert Schilling said:
if you are talking about the lower vents on the top shelter housing..they only give cold air..they are not heat vents.
mine throw heat...... before and after ECM fix.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts