GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So if you've read some of my threads on front suspension this 2014 has been an absolute nightmare for me. I've dumped almost $2000 into tires/front end suspension just trying to get the velvety smooth ride that my other wings have had. I started with disabling the anti dive, which helped but still sucked for harsh ride. Then went to new tires (3 fronts 2 rears), then installed the Progressive mono tubes, which greatly improve handling and ride height and solve a whole bunch of problems with stock Wings suspension but for me, at least at my weight they are still sprung to tight and the ride is too firm. When i have a passenger it's sublime, which it seems the springs are setup for that, but solo it blows.

What I miss more than anything is that velvety smooth GoldWing ride and for the life of me I can't get this f***ing bike to ride smooth. I swear I could tell you if a quarter was heads or tails if I ran it over. I took a BMW K1600GTL out the other day for test ride and OMG what a smooth riding machine. I then when on the same route with my GoldWing and my aggravation at the pogo stick I have for a front end just had my blood boiling by the end of the route. I couldn't feel a thing on the K1600, not a blemish in the road yet my wing still hops and skips and bounces over bumps that for the life of me I can't see or detect. We have a stretch of Dale Mabry here just recently repaved and even on my CB1000R (yes sport bike) the front end is planted and I don't feel any jarring or bumps what so ever, same road not the wing and the front ends hopping around like it's trying to send morse code to someone.

So the question I have is those that have done Traxxion do you get the handling and ride height it should have with the velvety smooth, i'm on a cloud can't feel the bumps ride? I'm so over spending money on this problem and the last step is sell the bike and go with the Beemer or another Victory Vision (both ride way better than my 14) if I'm gonna drop $1600 on yet another suspension setup to have it do the same thing I'm pretty sure I'm just going to drop the Wing over the side of a bridge and collect the insurance. At least I'll have some time to fabricate a good story...

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Traxxion is located in Georgia and I understand they have a demo available. Why not take a ride north and test ride their demo and find out first hand if it provides the ride you are looking for?

·
Registered
401 Posts
take the test ride

First I agree head up and take a test ride.
But having road both the Beemer and the wing, the Mega-Monti will go a long way toward the Beemer's ride, but never get there exactly. The beemer is a sport bike with touring options, the mega-monti wing is a touring bike with sport options. They are and will always be different.

Will mega-monti be enough - go take the test ride.
...gene

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Traxxion was a great improvement to my bike. It made it much more nimble and responsive BUT it did not make the ride "plush". I still feel all the bumps they are just not quite as jolting.

My wings has never had a "floating over clouds" ride and the Traxxion mod did not give it one either. IMO you would be disappointed with the Traxxion too because I don't think it will give you what you're looking for.

Dan

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
DISCLAIMER: This is just my opinion.

The short answer is no. The Traxxion setup will not give you the "velvety smooth" ride you're looking for. The GL1800 stock bike isn't velvety smooth to begin with. Velvety smooth was the 1500.

Imagine the difference between the ride of a Corvette and a Cadillac "coupe or sedan" deville. One gave you the "feel of the road" ride and the other gave you the "floating on a cloud" ride. The former being the 1800 and the latter is the 1500.

The closest you will get to getting that " velvety smooth" ride you're looking for, is to replace your rear tire with a car tire. Until then, all the springs, tubes, and suspension upgrades you do the the bike won't give you that "velvety smooth" ride you're looking for.

I personally have the Traxxion AK-20's, All Balls, Traxxion Rear Shock, the billet lower tree and fork brace with a Continental ContiProContact SSR Run Flat 185/55R16 (rear) and the Avon AV71 130/70R18 (front) and to me, it's the best, most comfortable ride.

Again, just my personal opinion.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
No.........the harsh ride will always be a harsh ride. Upgrades in suspension do greatly improve handling, tracking and keep the front wheel on the road.

Plush......not on a Wing.

We learn as we do, and as far as Traxxion goes, it is in the regards to plush, much more plush on a Trike than a two wheeler, must be the angle of the rake, as it does in that application do a good or better job with plush. But still harsh.

Spending dollars on suspensions for plush, will never be found. The only ones plush are those who sell the suspension upgrades, they may be plush with dough. :lol:

·
Chard Member
12,972 Posts
My 2012 beats me to death. Haven't enjoyed riding it since the day I picked it up new. I've had a good assortment of 1800's since '01. This is the first that ride like a flipping log wagon.

I can't go across the rumble strips at Hayman and Culbreath. Front or rear suspension doesn't give a bit. Run across those strips with past 1800's or the Street Glide no problem.

Sent from iPhone

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
I agree with Bartman's opinion, it is spot on. My GL is configured exactly the same except for the tires which are listed in my sig.... My GL ride is firm, planted, pick a line and it locks on like a red laser dot. I feel the road, the changes to the surface whether it be dirt, sand, water, fuel oil, tar snakes I know what I'm riding on and how the bike will react to any input.

WRT your monotubes, there is no guarantee that new ones are performing correctly. There are many well documented issues and even multiple versions of monotubes as Progressive scrambled to
correct those issues behind the scenes. You have two choices, but really only one. Based on your insistence for a riding on a cloud feel, Traxxion is not your cup of tea. Find someone who knows monotubes inside and out, spring for another set and get them installed by the book. Send the old ones back as defective and hope you get a refund or they return new ones to you.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Smooth ride.

Were your other Wings GL1500s by chance? I had a 92 Aspencade. It's ride was very plush, but I prefer the ride of my 01. It has the full Mega monty and ride is firm, but rock solid as far as handling. I agree that you need to ride a Wing equipped with the Traxxion setup. It would be a shame to invest big money in it, only to find you do not like it!

Rayjoe

Just realized Bartman said the same thing!!

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
smooth ride

The smoothest ride you can get (IMHO) is a G701 (old GL1500 front bias tire) or a BT45 on the front...Michelin Alpin PA3 RF CT on the back. A traxxion rear shock or a Progressive rear spring will help a lot too. Oh...safer too!

·
Registered
20,955 Posts
Who did the work on your wing ?

So if you've read some of my threads on front suspension this 2014 has been an absolute nightmare for me. I've dumped almost $2000 into tires/front end suspension just trying to get the velvety smooth ride that my other wings have had. I started with disabling the anti dive, which helped but still sucked for harsh ride. Then went to new tires (3 fronts 2 rears), then installed the Progressive mono tubes, which greatly improve handling and ride height and solve a whole bunch of problems with stock Wings suspension but for me, at least at my weight they are still sprung to tight and the ride is too firm. When i have a passenger it's sublime, which it seems the springs are setup for that, but solo it blows.

What I miss more than anything is that velvety smooth GoldWing ride and for the life of me I can't get this f***ing bike to ride smooth. I swear I could tell you if a quarter was heads or tails if I ran it over. I took a BMW K1600GTL out the other day for test ride and OMG what a smooth riding machine. I then when on the same route with my GoldWing and my aggravation at the pogo stick I have for a front end just had my blood boiling by the end of the route. I couldn't feel a thing on the K1600, not a blemish in the road yet my wing still hops and skips and bounces over bumps that for the life of me I can't see or detect. We have a stretch of Dale Mabry here just recently repaved and even on my CB1000R (yes sport bike) the front end is planted and I don't feel any jarring or bumps what so ever, same road not the wing and the front ends hopping around like it's trying to send morse code to someone.

So the question I have is those that have done Traxxion do you get the handling and ride height it should have with the velvety smooth, i'm on a cloud can't feel the bumps ride? I'm so over spending money on this problem and the last step is sell the bike and go with the Beemer or another Victory Vision (both ride way better than my 14) if I'm gonna drop $1600 on yet another suspension setup to have it do the same thing I'm pretty sure I'm just going to drop the Wing over the side of a bridge and collect the insurance. At least I'll have some time to fabricate a good story...

·
Registered
207 Posts
Just my back qround on 3rd GL1800 1st GL , noone made anyting for the GL, 2nd GL here comes Max and Traxxion , I'm a good freind with a winner of daytona 200 he used Max for his race setup.I knew he could set up a suspension so off to Woodstock I only had the springs put in and I had the pogo stick ride you are talking about. Then meet a person here and he had the AK20's rear shock and no pogo.I then went back to Max and just had a new rear shock and spring put in NO MORE POGO. I know you said you dont weigh much but even at 150 lbs you should still have a good ride. I did not go w/ progressive because I wanted the same ride not someting that is soft then firm up as it compressed. I ride the GL like a big ole sportbike and wanted it to handle like one. When a bike is so heavy that just time will wear out the suspension had to do something and I knew progressive over time will sag also. On my 2nd GL1800 and 507,000 miles later my traxxion was still good to go. I have a 2012 w/100,000 and at 30,000 had the AK20's and Traxxion rear spring on the stock shock put on and very happy with setup. Just call Traxxion tell them what is going on and see if they can help, you can say anthing you want about traxxion But a Company that will refund your money back no questions ask is a rare find these days. Will the GL1800 ride like a BMW no never will but will a BMW go 500,000 with no real problems at cost of ownership of a GL1800 noway. Good luck but please dont just throw money at a problem it wont work.

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
The way you are describing the way your bike rides, makes me wonder if your anti dive is stuck.
I know that you said you disabled it, but if the valve itself was stuck beforehand and you just installed a shim, I think you would still have the harshness that comes with a failed anti dive.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't mind a firm ride at all. What annoys me to no end is driving down a brand new resurfaced road and the front end is bouncing over imaginary bumps. I take the same road on my sport bike (CB1000R) and I don't feel any if that harshness or bouncing that I get on the wing. Since when does a sport bike ride smoother than my wing!

I'll also add this is my 4th wing. I had an 01, 10, 13F6B. None ride this bad. I also removes the outside portion of the anti dive and the internals to it as well. That did help. Honestly I think a softer spring would help but you can't change springs on the mono tubes.

I'm going to GA on the 16th I'm gonna stop by Traxxion and check them out.

I will give props to the Beemer. It's ride and handling are simply sublime. Just awesome. And if you need more go just adjust in the fly. And power wow. But overall I like the Wing better for everything else

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
As been stated, but I will repeat... A car tire will really, really smooth out the ride. You way well have a problem with the front as I have monotubes and it does not ride near as rough as yours seems to. Maybe stuck anti-dive, bad monotubes, or correct amount of fork oil. If you knew someone who has a bike with monotubes it would be helpful if you could do a comparison. However, in the end , you know how an 1800 should ride, so keep looking. Traxxion seems like a good place to check.

·
Registered
119 Posts

I can't address the Traxxion because I have never road a wing that had one. I have Race Tech springs and valves in the front of my 02 Wing and a Progressive spring in the rear with a 2012 shock. I set the front up largely according to Race Tech specs. The ride is much improved. It is not plush (although they have a set up for a plush ride), but firm and connected to the road. My front tire does not loose contact with the pavement. Overall, it is a huge improvement. My BMW R1200CLC actually rides a little better than my wing. It is not plush, but seems to have better rebound control. I think the paralever front end makes this a bit easier to control. I can see where a GTL with adjustable damping and rebound would be able to provide very plush ride.

IMO, the suspension it the major weakness in the current GW. Honda badly needs to catch up with everyone else with fully adjustable suspension. After reading and thinking about the "WTH Honda..." piece I am starting to think that Honda is loosing interest in the touring segment. Don't get me wrong, I still think the GW is a great touring bike, but it is badly in need up some major upgrades to remain competitive. I am not a huge BMW fan for what it is worth. I came by the CLC rather haphazardly, but do enjoy it and it is becoming my daily commuter bike. There are things on it that annoy the crap out of me, like paying $43 for one end of a broken, plastic, gas disconnect fitting or taking a day to bleed the brakes. The topper is that the gas tank level sensor is dead and the only way to get it is buy the $360 rear tank flange plate.

So, I think you can get your GW close to where you want it, but I don't think it will ever be like a GL1500. Do the test drive on a Traxxion and for comparison, find someone that has a Race Tech set up installed. The price difference is substantial. Not bashing Traxxion, there are way too many people that are pleased with it, but there is not an installer within a couple of hundred miles from me and I prefer to do my own work, so the Race Tech route was the only reasonable way for me to go.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I was trying to solve a handling problem on my '04 wing, and went to a traxxion dealer in IN . I told him from the beginning that I wanted (thanks Bartman for confirming my result) Cadillac more than Corvette. Luxury more than sport. First try it was super firm and very sporty, but nothing like I asked for. We went with lighter? less firm? springs from traxxion and that helped but for the money, it never solved the original problem and now the bike rode harsher.

Long story short, I sold the bike. Traxxion is great for a sporty Wing, but not for a plush wing IMO.

I also put on Centramatic balancers after the suspension fiasco, and actually found it to smooth out the ride somewhat, plus never any balance issues. So you might consider that.

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
I don't see why the 1800 cant be made to ride plush ....it's the springing, damping, and rebound damping setup for the weight the bike carries that determines how smooth or how firm the ride is..I have the full Traxxion setup on my 03 setup for the weight my bike carries and the ride is very smooth....solo the ride is firmer...but when riding two up like how Traxxion setup the suspension for, my Wing rides very plush...solo the ride is good, but 2 up you can tell the suspension is in it's sweet spot...very happy with the way my Traxxion Wing rides and I could never be happy with the OEM suspension after having what I got now...I can say that I have ridden other touring machines...Harleys and Victory.... at the demo rides both solo and two up and none of those machines rode better two up than my Traxxion Wing does.

·
Registered
312 Posts
traxxion plush ride

I can adjust my front forks to ride anywhere from extra firm to plush by adjusting the preload on the fork springs and the rebound on the cartridges. Just takes a minute or so. Usually leave things on the firm side as the roads in the Midwest are not the greatest.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts