GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got done putting on new tires. Took off old weights went for a ride ( 40 miles) very smooth with nothing . So do I still add the Dyna beads?

·
Registered
159 Posts

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
Three yes votes with three different methods. All we need is a no vote and this thread is toast.

prs

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
just got done putting on new tires. Took off old weights went for a ride ( 40 miles) very smooth with nothing . So do I still add the Dyna beads?
I'll give you a direct answer to your question, which seems to be rare on this board, but remember it is only my opinion.

Yes, add the beads. Why? Ride may be smooth now, to the top speed you obtained during your test ride. Tires wear, they do not wear uniformly due to various reasons, which is one argument for the beads throughout the life of your tires.

I just finished a run on a set of Bridgestones with beads for the first time. I had them balanced at the dealer when installed. Rode them with weights, added beads and rode with beads and weights, took the weights off and rode beads only. Did not notice a difference in any configuration up to triple digits when new. Of course I rode life of the tire with beads only. Still smooth to triple digits.

No, I don't know how many miles, I don't care, I like the stones and ride them until they wear out then replace. I "feel" like the beads made a difference on this set with a delay in the onset of cupping and ride "seems" to have remained more consistent through the life of the tires.

BUT, they still cupped, front still developed the funny offset center wear pattern it always does and the rear cupping still showed up in spades towards the end of life as always.

Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
i have never never balanced a rear tire,the ft i would balance,tires dont last long enough to bother with beads!!!

·
Registered
440 Posts
install the Beads...you will not regret it now or 12k from now...:coffee1:

·
Registered
19,068 Posts
Centramatic and never balance or bead again.

This workks better than all the other Bandaids

And of note most Honda dealers balance only the front tire because it takes a special spacer to balance the rear and most dealers do not have it

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
i have never never balanced a rear tire,the ft i would balance,tires dont last long enough to bother with beads!!!
also rides great with no beads to mess with,lol

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I just got back from a 60 mile ride to test out my new front tire on the Rune. When I had the tire mounted, I told them not to bother balancing. When I got the wheel home, I pulled out the core and installed the beads before mounting the wheel back on the bike.
I took some local twisties that also had 5 one-lane bridges with planks for the tire tracks, and then back into town and up on the Talimena Scenic Byway. Lots of near hairpins, slow speed curves and decent pavement. Took her up to 80 several times, then on the way back, up to 90 once and managed to hit 100 on a long uphill stretch.
The ride was smooth as silk ... no trace of any balance shake at any speed.
I have to do the Wing's tires pretty soon ... I think I have over 18k on them right now ... and I'll definitely be doing them both with the beads! No ugly weights glued on the rims, and no expensive additional weight on the wheel.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
centramatics.
the initial cost is around $250, but you will get payback if you have been having the dealer balance them (with what they charge).
and the tires/wheels will always be in balance.
plus it seems/feels like the bike is just "planted a little better" (for lack of another expression). Not a difference like daylight and dark, but a subtle noticeable difference nevertheless.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Whether you use DynaBeads or Static balance, I can't imagine why anyone would say to the tech "Don't balance my tires". That does not compute!!! Why would anyone do that and then come on this board and say, "Took off old weights went for a ride , what do you think?". And then others come on and support that decision. Makes no sense to me, unless you're changing your own tires, have no way to balance them, and then try to justify that decision. Please don't try to explain, it wouldn't make any sense to me. Just continue to do what you do, and I will continue to have use DynaBeads.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
i change my own tires and have for coming up on 400,000 miles and 40 yrs. i never bother to balance and have never had any problem and my tires last as good as the guy that balances. Of course the balony guys that get 29,000 out of a tire I can't match, but I do the 13,000-15,000 every time.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
If you don't need don't do it, There are ZERO weights on either my front or rear wheel on my Concours 1400 and it is as smooth as glass.

·
Registered
812 Posts
The beads are cheap. I suspect that if you can't afford them you're on the wrong bike.

If you happen to get a wheel and tire combination that is perfectly balanced as installed you are luckier than I. Any time there is a 50% chance on something that means I have a 20% chance.

Even if you don't need the beads put them in. They won't hurt anything. If it iis balanced they will spread out along the tire and have no impact on the balance.

My opinion only...

Jason

1 - 20 of 32 Posts