GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 7000 miles on my trikes front tire (BS 709) with dynabeads, it has no cupping and it has about the thickness of a fingernail before you get to the wear bars. My question is "should I be able to take a trip pulling my trailer riding 2 up for approximately 2500 more miles before I replace it"?

Also will be going to the BT45 for my next tire, "Should I have it installed in reverse rotation or not"?

THANKS FOR ANY AND ALL OPINIONS

Not a tire VS tire question will be going BT45 for sure.

·
Registered
734 Posts
IMHO that tire needs to be changed if you are just riding around you local area. The thickness of a finger nail isn't much. You've gotten about all the worth from that hung of rubber. Toss a BT-45 or MPA on there and ride with confidence that you have a solid front tire.

Weather you mount it in reverse rotation or not is a personal choice but those two tire seem to be the leading choices. I have the BT-45 in reverse and really am happy with it. Only has about 3000 miles on it so I can't speak for longevity as yet...

Enjoy and ride safe...

·
Registered
502 Posts
Tire Change

Is it worth the the grif in being in the middle of nowhere and have a flat tire to save a few dollars that you are going to spend anyway. JMO

Sonney

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Most or us know the last of the tread wears a lot faster than any other time. Change it. You probably won't get 1000mls. the tire and you would probably be into the cords.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Guys, I had a feeling I should since it is only a stock 709 on the front. I'm pushed for time and my tire guy doesn't keep the BT45 in stock and I don't want to put a stock tire back on the Trike. Guess I had better tell him to overnight one and pay the extra.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I didn't study long deciding between the Michelin or the BStone Battlax ... chose the BT-45 pretty quick. Studied a lot longer deciding to mount in in reverse direction, but the mechanics of the tire construction, as described in several places here and other places convinced me that I certainly would not be causing any problems rolling it against the arrow for rear tire use. On the other hand, it seems to me that there is every chance that the tire will not be as stressed under braking on the front rolling in reverse, and the chances are good that doing so will improve it's longevity. So, I mounted the rear tire in reverse direction.

After about 5000 miles, I can see no negative effects, and the tire has handled well and rolled very smoothly. Time will tell about how long it lasts, but the ride so far has been VERY good. At this point, I would say the BT-45 rear tire is good for the front of our trikes, and I'd say to mount it rolling in reverse.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I mounted my BT-45 in reverse, because that's what the tech guy from Bridgestone told me to do over the phone.

Does anybody else remember the tires that had front and rear arrows that pointed in opposite directions, on tires that were designed to be used in both locations?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Change out the tire BEFORE the trip, unless you like to check out the tire stores in different towns after you break down. The BT45 does have a directional arrow and I have had both of mine mounted in the forward direction... I'm more interested in shedding water off the tread. The first tire gave me 23K of service and the 2nd one looks to be doing at least as well. It's a bias-ply tire and can be mounted either way without physical damage to the belts, I just prefer to mount it in the direction it was intended for and leave it at that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts