GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering.....

When travelling and you get caught in the rain, when you pull into your accomodations for the night and both you and the Wing are SOAKED:confused:, do you cover the bike while it's wet if there is no sheltered/covered parking available?

Then, what do you do with the wet cover when you head out the next day? Sooner or later I suspect it would have to be dried out to prevent mould on both the inside AND outside of the cover before folding it up and storing it for more than a day or so.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Just wondering.....

When travelling and you get caught in the rain, when you pull into your accomodations for the night and both you and the Wing are SOAKED:confused:, do you cover the bike while it's wet if there is no sheltered/covered parking available?

Then, what do you do with the wet cover when you head out the next day? Sooner or later I suspect it would have to be dried out to prevent mould on both the inside AND outside of the cover before folding it up and storing it for more than a day or so.
FWIW, I use a Nelson Riggs UV cover for overnight & extended day parking. While I might have to put it away wet sometimes, I usually put it back on the bike at the next longer stop (ie lunch) and let it dry out.

A covered bike seems to discourage others from sitting on it or messing with things. Has worked for me over the years.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Sorry, don't see any value in covering a wet bike. I do keep a cover on the bike when rain is forecast over the evening. I also carry a towel to wipe off a wet bike.

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
Cover? really? on vacation? Just ride! it'll be fine.

·
Misinformed Member
2,272 Posts
I haven't carried a cover for a couple of years now. I have one of those fake chamois things that works real well for wiping the moisture off. It doesn't take up hardly any room and you are supposed to store it damp.

·
Registered
105 Posts
When I have to park mine outdoors, not under a shelter, I use the frogtog covers for my ultimate seat. The rest of the water will blow off when i drive

·
Banned
939 Posts
half cover

Buy a half cover...plenty of air gets under it plus it is a "visual" extra layer of security and it does not take up much space (like a 3/4 of gallon zip lock of space). Mine goes in my sleeping bag dry bag in its own bag and rides next to my tent in another dry bag on top the luggage rack on my trunk.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Just wondering.....

99% of the time I DO NOT COVER a wet bike it tends to TRAP the moister!! even "breathable" covers!!!...just my 2 cents worth...

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
At night if the bike is wet, I use my half cover, if dry I use the full cover.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I carry a thin half cover in the Kury bag on my trunk rack and always cover the bike even if its under an awning. Not so much for the rain but as is stated here by other posters, thieves, kids, and such wont remove the cover to fiddle with stuff but they will diddle around sometimes if there is no cover on a bike. OUT OF SIGHT> OUT OF MIND. Since I use this cover every night it dries out on those nights that it is not wet. You will be surprised at the unattended kids at a motel that will climb up on a bike sitting in a parking lot, especially nowadays. It takes no time for this cover to dry.

·
Registered
7,200 Posts
I use my half cover at night while on a trip to keep the rain and dew from soaking into the handlebar controls....also when the bike is covered in a motel parking lot, it's just not as visible and doesn't draw as much attention. If wet I just put the cover in it's bag and the that night the cover dries out really fast from the heat of the bike.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I use a 1/2 tour king. I will try to wipe off the controls and buttons and then cover. Not much I can do when riding in the rain--part of the game. I refuse to let my bike sit in the elements if there is a way to prevent it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Tour King

Tour King cover will let some air in and also takes up hardly any space . It goes in one of the little chubby compartments by passenger seat. Works great.:thumbup:

·
Registered
123 Posts
what cover

...cover? what the heck are these people talking about? It's a wing...darn thing's pretty much waterproof. That's one of the advantages of all the plastic over chrome.:yes1:

·
Banned
1,912 Posts
I now have a custom leather seat so I now carry a half cover and use it overnight just to protect the seat

Before that I never covered

1 - 20 of 34 Posts