GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep my wing in the garage when I am home, but during the day it sits in the open parking lot, and on trips it also sits outside in most cases.

I purchased to 1/2 cover but I am concerned that putting it on and off everyday, could lead to scratches, or rips tears in the cover.

I found a thread on here about making a simple antenna cover to keep the antenna from poking a hole in the bike cover, and I made one of thos out of PVC.

I also read in one of the threads that someone actually had their bike blow over because the cover caught the wind.

So I thought I would ask the opinion of those of you who have had your bikes longer, and whether or not you would recommend using the cover on a daily basis, or if anyone had negative experiences in using a cover?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
I ride to work most days. I cover the Wing at work every time. At home it is in the garage. I use a full cover and have never had a problem with the wind. It keeps bird dirt and anything else free flying off the bike. It takes about 1 minute to put it on and take it off. I am sold.:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Covering it will help with sun Damage.
I ride to work everyday too, but I dont' have a cover. I keep a Fine layer of Dirt and Bugs onboard to ward off the sun.
At home in the Garage I keep a Cat on the seat. No mice problems.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Definitely cover it with a half cover while at work and also while traveling each night or stopped and your going to be away from the bike and want some extra protection. Aside from the protection it also keeps the curiousity factor away and people don't have a tendency to come up to your bike and look or poke around. I've used my Ultra-Gard half cover since May of 2002 and there is absolutely no damage to the bike as a result of the cover.

Wouldn't be without it, plus it's easy to put on and remove along with being inexpensive.

DaleC

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
We have an extra (covered) loading dock at work that no one uses and we all park our bikes there. Keeps both rain and sun off.

If I did not have that I would use my half cover. Don't care if it eventually gets ripped, I would just buy another one..

·
Registered
626 Posts
When I was working I used a cover every day at work. Buy the way I like a full cover. Wore out a cover every 2-3 years, never seen any damage to the bike caused by the cover, just the opposite the bike was in better condition because of the use of a cover. I vote to use a cover be it a half or full.

·
Registered
20,951 Posts
had a cover since got my first 1500 wing

have used it less than a dozen times

once on the 1800

if it was brandnew and i was going to have it parked outside all day everyday i would probably consider covering it to protect it from sun damage

some folks have cloth seats so they need to make sure it is covered if it rains, that is one of the big reasons why i would never buy a cloth seat

·
Registered
471 Posts
I use a half cover at work and a full cover on trips........:p

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i have one of those touring covers, about the size of a 16 ounce beer can

i use it all the time

but, my seat is cloth

so i worry about it getting wet

and thus a wet assssh

·
Registered
211 Posts
I agree with covering, as stated, I think most folks won't mess with what they can't see. I have a full cover that I use on trips, don't have a half cover yet but if I had to leave it outside during the day, I believe I would get one.

·
Lost Member
150 Posts
I ride to work often and use the half cover often to protect from
the sun. Am on the second one in three years with no damage
to the bike. Helps kept the dirt out of the push buttons on radio
and the birds from putting their deposits on the seat.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I ride to work on an average 3-4 days a week. I park in the lot right in front of our office building and cover the bike every time it's parked there. Two reasons to cover it...keeps the sun off of it which over time would fade stuff, and second "outa sight outa mind". The cover keeps prying eyes from seeing something they might want to mess with. Of course it won't keep them from getting to the bike but I figure if it's out of sight then the temptation might not be there.

I've been using the following cover for years. On my previous bike I used the same cover for probably 5 years and it held up well up until the last year when it finally gave into the sun and started to shred. But I figure the $100 was worth it so I ordered the same to replace it and expect to get another 5 years out of it. The cover is very light weight and easy to put on and holds up well.

http://www.eztouring.com/wanderer.htm

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Cover

I ride to work every day, and I always use a half cover. I have tennis balls that go over the antenna, however the Kury cover I have also has extra heavy patch sewn in where the antennas are, so might not need the balls. I leave my helmet and gloves in the seat, but its all covered up. I dont want the sun to fade my Air rider seat covers. So far, no problems.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I am an auto tech for a living and somehow there is always an empty stall in my shop building at work. Get off the bike, unlock and ride right in. Out of the weather and close to me at all times.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts