GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed my platinum driving lights kit from EC,and am about to install the chrome cowl that i bought to go with them.The lens guards that come with the kit require drilling three holes in the cowl. Does anyone have any input,tips,or help of any kind for me? I am worried about the chrome peeling or the plastic guards not fitting well.Thanks in advance Ric :)

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Ricky,

Mark the holes and then use a prick punch or Ice pick to make a starter for your hole. If you have a right angle drill, or angle attachment for your drill, the work is easy. The lense are definately necessary.

Good luck

Dawg

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i am always afraid to use an awl or a punch on plastic or like materials

i use a soldering pencil to melt a small divot, and then a brad point drill bit fits right into the little divot

i made speaker grills on my pacific coast useing this method, i got a cad drawing of a hole pattern, and useing a soldering pencil marked all the holes. over 330 holes in the pair, they look great.

loren

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Doug, how in the world can you clean them if they are siliconed in. Mine get pretty crappy if I have to ride in the rain.

Dawg

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
WAIT!!! I drilled mine. Followed the instructions and barely made it. Drill the single hole first and file to fit tab. It will make a big diffrence where the other two line up with one side slipped in. About 1/8 plastic space between the hole and curved edge. My first two holes are about 3/16 space, and the thir hole is almost out of the ring area. So this is why I recommend to drill the single tab hole first and then align the other two. They blend in very well.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Haven't had to clean them yet, Dawg. I guess .... I might have to remove the lower cowl to clean them good, although unless I get caught in the rain they should stay clean. :oops: I'll let ya know ...

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
GL03 said:
WAIT!!! I drilled mine. Followed the instructions and barely made it. Drill the single hole first and file to fit tab. It will make a big diffrence where the other two line up with one side slipped in. About 1/8 plastic space between the hole and curved edge. My first two holes are about 3/16 space, and the thir hole is almost out of the ring area. So this is why I recommend to drill the single tab hole first and then align the other two. They blend in very well.
Thanks very much for the tips. I was about to start drilling,it occured to me that the oem cowl looked a bit differant from my "big bikes" cowl,so i measured the light openings,sure enough the chrome one is about 1/4 inch wider.If i had drilled following the E.C. directions it would have been a mess! I'm not finished yet but it will work fine now,thanks again to the help from you guys. :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
My EC Platinum lights just came in yesterdays UPS. Thanks for the tips on the lens covers. If time permits, I may tinker with an alternate attachment method for the covers.

·
Registered
19,990 Posts
I really like lorens idea of using a soldering iron to mark where to drill. Good idea.

You definitely need to put the guards on. It's not just stones from other vehicles that you have to worry about. A stone can easily flip up off the side of your front tire and crack a lens. That is what happend to me. I have to call Lewis and order a new assy.

They must be doing it differently now. My guards just had velcro tabs that you stuck to the lens. Looked pretty dorky. Plus, the instructions didn't say that you had to put them on before putting the cowl on. Bummer.

Larry

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK.All done,now i have one last tip.To remove the guards,EC says to use a screwdriver wrapped in some cloth (to prevent scratching the cowl) and pry the tabs out.I found the guards to be a very tight fit,so i use a wooden popsicle stick,perfect,not a mark! Now about springtime :cry: :cry: :cry:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts