GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious where other folks stand on this. Here's my take:

First, I like to drink. Not every day and not to the point point where I see double and act single. But, I like to drink.

Second, I like to ride alot more than I like to drink.

I personally have a zero tolerance for riding and drinking. I promised myself when I started riding again (as an adult) that the rule would be "not even one". I have stuck to that rule.

So, if we take the bike. No hooch.

The thinking behind that is that there is such a small margin for error on a bike. You can't afford to make mistakes or lose reaction time; no matter how slightly.

Anyone else have an opinion?

·
Registered
627 Posts
I like to drink as well but when I am on the bike, not even a smell of alcohol. The kickstand down for the day oh yes let's have one.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Years ago had a beer on the train home (had ridden the bike to the station that morning)...felt it on the ride. Never another drop. End of the day? Sure. But no drinking/riding for exactly what you said...we have enough to worry about sober without narrowing the margin of error. Don't like to ride with anyone who drinks either.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I'm curious where other folks stand on this. Here's my take:

First, I like to drink. Not every day and not to the point point where I see double and act single. But, I like to drink.

Second, I like to ride alot more than I like to drink.

I personally have a zero tolerance for riding and drinking. I promised myself when I started riding again (as an adult) that the rule would be "not even one". I have stuck to that rule.

So, if we take the bike. No hooch.

The thinking behind that is that there is such a small margin for error on a bike. You can't afford to make mistakes or lose reaction time; no matter how slightly.

Anyone else have an opinion?
:agree:

I've got the same rule for myself. Drinking and riding don't mix. not even one drink for me when out on the bike. As a matter of fact. If I drink I'll even not drive the car or truck. Just my thoughts. I know everyone has their own opinion on the subject and not everyone will be the same as mine.

·
Registered
275 Posts
When on the bike, no drinking at all. 2 beers will usually put me to sleep, so I have no room for error.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I never drink any kind of booze and ride. I feel that riding requires 100% of my attention. I don't think that is possible with even one drink. That is just me.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Three decades ago on my 30th birthday I got rained out at work in St Louis, I hit the bar at 9:30 am and drank a bottle and a half of Jack. The next morning I watched the sun rise on the beach in Galveston. My wing didn't have any scratches on it so I must of done ok. Now my concern isn't if I can ride but whether or not I'll have a stroke.Oh to be young and dumb again.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
So Church is in session. Never been much on Church. Too much pretense of I am better than thou............

One beer will not hurt anyone, it is gone in 30 minutes. For me even faster my internal valve says I have to pee. Lol!!

I find that if I drink I develop the front end wobble. Seems to go away the next day. Brandy creates a small wobble, whiskey creates a more distinct wobble and mary jane makes you think I am sure I know where I live, but sure has been a long ride to get there. :lol::lol:

Nope not on the bike, but after the day is done, for sure. One of the little pleasures of life. And make no excuses, nor any pretense.

Silly thread.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I like to drink moderately but agree with all of you - NEVER - not even one drink - followed by a ride.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Drink all you want but one should never drink and drive or ride period. The costs are just too high if you make an error riding or driving. Have beer or drink but not until the day is over for either driving or biking.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I have an occasional beer, but NEVER when riding.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
So Church is in session. Never been much on Church. Too much pretense of I am better than thou............

One beer will not hurt anyone, it is gone in 30 minutes. For me even faster my internal valve says I have to pee. Lol!!

I find that if I drink I develop the front end wobble. Seems to go away the next day. Brandy creates a small wobble, whiskey creates a more distinct wobble and mary jane makes you think I am sure I know where I live, but sure has been a long ride to get there. :lol::lol:

Nope not on the bike, but after the day is done, for sure. One of the little pleasures of life. And make no excuses, nor any pretense.

Silly thread.
Maryjane huh,WHO WOULDA THUNK IT ABOUT YOU :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: OLE YELLER MBG PA

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Maryjane huh,WHO WOULDA THUNK IT ABOUT YOU :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: OLE YELLER MBG PA
I found out about that stuff in Vietnam. You look at your watch and it is 2 p.m. A whole day later it is still 2 p.m. Lol!

Never played with it much after that , but unlike Bill Clinton, I did inhale. :lol:

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
I find it funny that most say they don't drink n sit behind the handle bars,yet we know dam well Most of you are drunk as a skunk sitting behind the keyboard.

I am always intoxicated when I ride my bike,and there is never any Alcohol involved!

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Predictable responses. It's good the drivers of all those Wings I see parked in front of the bars are drinking Pepsi. :shock:

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
12 hours bottle to throttle rule should work for most.

15 minutes did not work well for William Swanson, 21, who left a bar, then died Friday about 11:30 p.m. on CR-150N Rolling Prairie. According to the sheriff's department, he had a .270 percent blood alcohol level.

At about 1 a.m. Saturday, officers said Hunter McCarty, 21, left the same bar, also was in a curve when his 1999 Honda went off Ind. 4 near CR-200S near Stillwell. His motorcycle traveled about 200 feet before hitting a tree stump. McCarty was thrown off the motorcycle, which traveled about 89 feet before coming to rest. Officers said his blood alcohol level was .289-percent.

He also died of a head injury. Neither driver was wearing a helmet.

Any questions?

1 - 20 of 102 Posts