GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sitting on the fence with this one...
I am seriously considering adding a fork brace, does it really make that much of a difference in the ride?

Any input helps.

Mike

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
:agree:

Years ago, the addition of a Superbrace and replacing the junk OEM tires on my Suzuki Cavalcade did wonders for the front end... made the bike feel 100 lbs lighter and more rigid when bending into a corner on the top-heavy beast!

Since the GL1800 has absolutely no issues with top heaviness, transition ease or stability in cornering, or front-end flex, I haven't ever even considered it.

I don't have one. I'm not aware of the problem that is to be solved by a fork brace.

·
Registered
19,057 Posts
TRAXXION FORK BRACE-and Disable antidive does two things-

1-Tightens up slow speed turn stability
2-disabling antidive smooths out fork action and it becomes less harsh on bumps/pot holes

If you are 100% happy with your ride-leave it stock. But I don't think you would be asking if you were

·
Registered
314 Posts
On my 2008 Wing I changed the stock Dunlop front tire and had All Balls installed - it made a big difference on the front end wobble. 6 months later I added a Traxxion fork brace and didn't notice any real difference. I even took it off for a month to see if there was any noticeable difference, did reinstall for no specific reason except I spent the money ($200 during a sale on this site). I would consider myself a conservative rider - never scrape pegs or crash bars and mostly ride 1 up on twistie secondary roads.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I am sitting on the fence with this one...
I am seriously considering adding a fork brace, does it really make that much of a difference in the ride?

Any input helps.

Mike
Do yourself a favor and sit down with a large cup of coffee and read the old posts. Watch the Traxxion's video. There really isn't a lot of new information.

My opinion - get one. I am not a racer by any means. I can be left in the dust by many a talented Wing rider! That said, even I find the brace helps with the fork flex felt when performing slow speed maneuvers and when crossing uneven pavement with the wheel turned (as when crossing the apron of a driveway and road.).

Hector

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
I ride pretty hard sometimes, sometimes I just putter about. I do some occasional tune-up riding on the parking lots. I have had the Kuryakkyn brace and then the Traxxion brace. My bike seems to be just as tight and stable with and without the brace. I think some examples of our bikes must be a lot sloppier up front because many of the riders who do have the braces praise them highly. Watching the Traxxion info-mercial and reading all the old posts may well persuade you to purchase one; right or wrong. Would be better to borrow one and try it to see if your bike or you or the combo is one that is impressed or not.

prs

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
It seemed to improve the handling on mine. That is my opinion and the opinion of several other (highly) experienced riders in the family. I think it may be a matter of how sensitive you are to handling.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Fork Brace

Does anyone have a Kuryakyn Gen. 2 or a Traxxion fork brace that could be tried out for possible sale?

If you have one that I could install and try and then buy if it improves the handling of my 2004, let me know conditions and price.

Thanks and God Bless.

Mike

·
Registered
528 Posts
I noticed a difference on mine, I ride very aggressively and also do Top Gun maneuvers.

·
Registered
408 Posts
My fork brace is the best accessory I have bought. Well worth the money. And no, it is not just for racers. You'll notice the difference even on a lane change on the super slab.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Does anyone have a Kuryakyn Gen. 2 or a Traxxion fork brace that could be tried out for possible sale?

If you have one that I could install and try and then buy if it improves the handling of my 2004, let me know conditions and price.

Thanks and God Bless.

Mike
Buy one you will be Glad you did

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
My fork brace is the best accessory I have bought. Well worth the money. And no, it is not just for racers. You'll notice the difference even on a lane change on the super slab.
:agree:

For me, it improved low speed parking lot maneuvers, U-turns, riding on rain groves and steel grating.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Do yourself a favor and sit down with a large cup of coffee and read the old posts. Watch the Traxxion's video. There really isn't a lot of new information.

My opinion - get one. I am not a racer by any means. I can be left in the dust by many a talented Wing rider! That said, even I find the brace helps with the fork flex felt when performing slow speed maneuvers and when crossing uneven pavement with the wheel turned (as when crossing the apron of a driveway and road.).

Hector
:agree:This is my experience too!:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
The Kury Gen II is the best bang for the buck @ $159 on Ebay...IF you decide to go that way.

There "is" a considerable amount of flex in the front end of a stock Wing. Most of it generated by the honeycomb design of the lower triple clamp. Overall bike/load weight, small diameter fork tubes, high unsprung weight of lower fork sliders, dual disc brake assemblies and wheel/tire all add up to a "noodle nose" ride. The addition of a fork brace will help some, but nothing like a solid lower clamp.

If Honda would have installed "inverted" forks on the Wing like they did on the Valkyrie Interstate, this conversation topic would not exist.

Enjoy

1 - 20 of 43 Posts