GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An ad in a local news paper says the poster has an 89 GL1500 to give away. I answered the ad and they told me the bike was purchased for their 16 year old son who has recently passed on and they don't want to look at the bike as it reminds them of him so they wish to pass the bike on. They say the bike is in Washington DC and they have moved to California and have advised a moving company to ship the bike to California. They asked for my location to have the bike shipped to me and of course there will be a fee for changing the delivery destination. Sounds to good to be true. What do you all think?

·
lightley seasoned member
3,081 Posts
I'd find someone in DC to go look at the bike...

·
Registered
740 Posts
There is NO BIKE........ They will tell you to send then $600/800
to cover the cost of shipping! There are a lot of these ads on Craigslist
for cars, motorcycles etc. Sometime the wording is exactly the
same in a car, and motorcycle ad! BE aware!!!!

S

·
0 Posts
I just got a nice check for $3100 to pay the tax on a large lottery I just won. All I need to do is deposit the check and send them $2900 to cover the taxes.
I will soon be rich!!!:twisted:

·
Registered
758 Posts
Scam run like hell

They are all over the net with Ebay, Craigslist, you name it. See them every day. Don't even concider it.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
I just got a nice check for $3100 to pay the tax on a large lottery I just won. All I need to do is deposit the check and send them $2900 to cover the taxes.
I will soon be rich!!!:twisted:
Gee; some people are soooo lucky.

·
Registered
19,994 Posts
I wish I had the time to screw with these scammers. I would tell them that I will come pick up the bike wherever it is at and ask for the address where the bike will be.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Millions awaiting

Someone died in Africa has the same name as me. All I have to do is send the "banker" $2500.00 and we will split $77,777,000.00. I think I have about as much chance of getting the money as you do getting that GL1500.

Just saying thats all. :money1:

S

·
0 Posts
I have a check for $25,000 that I turned over to the FBI a couple years ago. Nigerian scam.
According to the FBI anything under 1 million dollars they won't investigate if its overseas as it just costs to much to deal with other countries (that hate us)
In the US it's $10,000 or more.
They scam because they can get away with it.

Of course a person needs to use some intelligence and know it's a scam and just stay clear. It's really no different than oil, sand and fork brace treads - an intelligent person knows it's all crap but people just keep posting nonsense and some just keep eating it up :oops:

Like what's his name said - there is a sucker born every minute.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Last year I found a skid loader w/trailer on Craigslist for an unbelievable price. It was listed as being local. When I contacted the seller and told him I was interested and wanted to see it, he told me it was in Canada but if I went ahead and paid through Ebay (Ebay? How did THEY get involved) into an escrow account he would pay to have the loader and trailer shipped to me for review. If I didn't want it he would pay to ship it back. My sister-in-law is in the freight business so I asked her what that would cost. She told me $3k- $4k. He was only asking $10k for the nearly new skid loader and goose neck trailer. He even had an escrow company he wanted to use for the transaction.

So I told him that, coincidentally enough, I would be in Regina the next week at the B&W plant and I would save him the money of shipping and just swing by and look at the loader. He replied that he didn't have time to meet me and that is why he was selling it so cheap because he didn't have time to mess with it and did I want the loader or not? I finally got tired of toying with him and scolded him for being an idiot and left it at that. Scammers are everywhere. I guess there must be an influx of suckers.

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
Send me $2,000 and have the bike delivered to me. I go over it and make sure everythings OK or not.
I'll list all the items needing repaired or replaced.
When this is completed an additional $1,000 will be needed to ship the bike on to you.

Seriously, Tell her to pay the shipping and you'll reimburse her as soon as the bike arrives and is in good condition!

·
Administrator
3,795 Posts
An ad in a local news paper says the poster has an 89 GL1500 to give away. I answered the ad and they told me the bike was purchased for their 16 year old son who had passed on.
I knew it was a scam when I read that the 1989 GL1500 was for a 16 year-old boy.:wrong:

Glen

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the replys, as you all thought it is a scam. I called the classified section of the news paper in Quincy, IL and told them of my concern and read the reply I received by e-mail and they said one other person had called in to try and verify the ad. The paper contacted the poster and questioned them who in turn gave them a phone number that had been disconnected. They also told the paper person that they were deaf and could not hear the phone ring. It just keeps getting better and better, to bad though as the picture of the bike looks good :)

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
That is a shame.
Someone in my area bit on one of those, send money to escrow.
Cost him $6,000 and of course then he didn't have enough left to get real bike.

·
Registered
569 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have 6.2 million coming my way from an unclaimed inheritance. As soon as I get the money from the Nigerian man that I gave my bank account number to, I'll front you the money for the shipping! :joke:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts