GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A current post about taking bikes out when the temps rise a little in snow country reminded me of something that new owners out there should know.

OUR WHEELS ARE NOT CLEARCOATED!!!

If you take your bike out and there is salt on the roads, make sure you give yourself time to wash the wheels when you get back from riding. If you don't, within a couple of weeks after letting the bike sit in the garage, those shiny new wheels will be a corroded mess. (Don't ask me how I know.) Salt is a major enemy of our wheels. You guys down south could not imagine the damage.

BTW, despite vehicle manufacturers claims that brake dust does not promote corrosion, I am convince otherwise after this year. I stay out of the salt now, but I didn't have much time to clean the bike very much this year due to our new addition on the house. When I did get time to clean, the rear wheel was often neglected. I don't know if it is actually the brake dust, or if the dust holds in moisture, but the rear wheel is destroyed. It is going to take many hours of wet sanding to bring it back to anything resembling clean.

Just a friendly warning. :cry:

·
Registered
585 Posts
I agree. I replaced the brake pads with original equipment pads about 1000 miles ago. Didn't wash the bike cause it wasn't dirty. Cleaned it up to put it away a couple weeks ago and the rear wheel is a mess. I thought a good wax would help protect it but it looks like hell. Kinda pisses me off. :x I didn't have this problem at all for the first 37,000 miles. Why after replacing the pads does it happen? :x

·
Registered
380 Posts
I also found out the hard way. I rode my Wing on a nice, clear, warm day with a little salt on the roads. Neglecting to dust off the salt and brake dust on the rear wheel caused it to dull the wheel. I think the combination of the brake dust holding moisture, containing some kind of acid and the salt all working together, along with my failure to remove the dust and salt, caused my problem. After every ride from then on, I use a small California duster, saved for just this purpose, to dust off my rear wheel.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Yeah, I ride all year and my back wheel probably looks really grungy.

It would bother me if I spent my time with the bike on my hands and knees trying to see the back wheel.

But I'm usually riding it, filling it with gas, etc. When I look at it from a normal perspective, I don't notice the back wheel.

·
Registered
20,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mike Anderson said:
I went to wally world and got a spray can of clear coat. I cleaned the wheels on my Valk State and clear coated them. Worked well. Got to do the wing now.
That is a good option. I was going to get mine powder coated, but the budget says no, so I am going to try and find the clearcoat in a spray can that is made for aluminum wheels. I can't remember who makes it. I think it is is either Krylon or Rustoleum. The beauty of it is that, unlike chrome and powder coating, if the finish peels, it can be easily taken off with paint remover.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
8,815 Posts
Chrome wheels are much easier to clean and take care of then are the stock wheels and it only takes about 10 minutes to clean them, but they need to be cleaned often. Don't let the brake dust sit on your chrome wheels because they will pit the chrome over time.....especially the rear wheel. It only takes 100 miles or less to put a layer of brake dust on the rear wheel and they need to be washed often with soapy water. I have seen quite a few chrome wheels (mostly rear wheels) that got ruined simply because the owner was lazy and didn't wash the wheels before letting it sit through the winter.

G

·
I winterized my 1800 this November, new oil, filter, complete detailing and 4 days later it got close to 60 degrees.
I said "I can't pass this riding time up", so I put on another 100 miles.
BUT
When I returned I recleaned both rims before laying my 1800 for the winter that same day.
I'm REAL PITA when it comes to those rims.
There are times when I say my next 1800 will have chrome rims, but they to, when neglected, will look like crap, soooooooo I'll continue to get on my hands and knees every week and start cleaning.

Besides it's I good time to check the air in the tires and look for nails

·
Registered
750 Posts
I think the key to keeping the rims looking good and corrosion free is to keep the clean. After EVERY ride wipe em down with a damp paper towel then dry with the same. Seems to work down here in Mississippi!!!

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I would add to the "stay out of" list mag chloride. The DOT uses a lot of this stuff in Colorado and it has damaged the chrome wheels on my SUV. I don't have any direct experience on how it might affect our Wing wheels, but I can't imagine it could be good. If you do get some on your wheels, just be sure and wash thoroughly within 12-24hrs.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts