GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New Bridgestone on rear with less than 1K mileage, picked up a nail dead center . Would you folks replace the tire with new or just plug and run this basically new tire down the highway??

·
Registered
16,972 Posts
In the meat of the tread, 1/4" or less clean perforation that is not greatly angled; I use the sticky-rope plugs and solvent cement. IF you have a semi-liquid balancing or self repair product such as Slime or RideOn in the tire, then replace it or demount, clean and then plug it. Avoid the mushroom types of rubber plugs and even internal cold patches and internal plug patches do not serve as well as a properly placed sticky rope plug.

prs

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
New Bridgestone on rear with less than 1K mileage, picked up a nail dead center . Would you folks replace the tire with new or just plug and run this basically new tire down the highway??
A plug is a temporary repair. Pull the tire and use a T patch. It's a patch with a plug combined. It is considered a permanent repair. I have always done this and have never had a problem with this type of repair. It will last the life of the tire.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
It's NG.

Send it to me so I can dispose of it properly.:joke:

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Plug it to get to a convenient shop, then patch it from the inside.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Plug it with stickyrope, run it til the wear bars. 90% of the rear tires I have had over the last 20 years have picked up a nail or screw in the first 1k. I have plugged them all - and never once had a problem... even on the track.

·
Registered
19,219 Posts
:lastpost:See above comments. I agree with them

·
Registered
425 Posts

·
Registered
1,701 Posts

Keep the tire! I will come get that bike and save you from having to put it back on. Don't worry I won't even charge you for hauling it off.

your welcome in advance, anything to help

·
Registered
9,129 Posts
Plug it with stickyrope, run it til the wear bars. 90% of the rear tires I have had over the last 20 years have picked up a nail or screw in the first 1k. I have plugged them all - and never once had a problem... even on the track.
:agree:

This is a no brainer. I've plugged tires dozens of times and rode them to the wear bars. No issues unless you don't have the rope plug in correctly and you're losing air.

Plug it and ride!

·
Vendor
17,774 Posts
I plug them too. Make sure you ream it well first, and I too have the best luck with sticky rope and the glue that goes with it. Pay close attension to the angle of the puncture and follow the same angle when reaming and plugging. You can go the tire manufactures web page and they usually show what is repairable and what is not. The correct repair is a patch on the inside. Around here, no shop will patch them so I am forced to replace or plug them myself since I don't have tire equipment.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I agree with Larry Price about the plug/patch repair. I did some research last year, checking several sources such as manufacturers, tire repair sites etc. My surprise was that many said that a plug, i.e sticky rope was probably better than a patch only. The reason was that the hole is still present with a patch only and moisture, debris etc. can get in and damage the repair. I would have to say thought, that I have plugged many tires and can remember only 1 that I had to do over. The rest held for the life of the tire.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Sticky rope plug and ride.... I've put 10K miles on a plugged tire with no issues.

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
Trick with sticky rope..... insert, twist 180° or more, pull out the tool. This forms a nice knot on the inside and lessens the chance that the repair will form a fissure between the ropes.

However, I tried to rope a friend's tire two weeks ago and it would not take. He rode on it flat for about 2 miles to get home. By the time he got there, the tire had de-laminated and would not seal. Make sure yours seals properly.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
To plug or to replace

Thanks for the great replys everyone. Sounds like stickyrope plug will be my way to go. Any brand better than the rest? :doorag: Obviously have never used any before. tks, ng

1 - 17 of 17 Posts