GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I have a 2007 GL1800 with ABS. Last week I took off the rear wheel and changed out the 90 degree OEM stem with the FOBO T-Valve. Next up is the front wheel...my question is do I have to remove the calipers or not? I watched Fred's DVD on removing the front wheel and he removes the calipers, but doesn't really explain why it is necessary. Could someone please tell me the ramifications of not removing them....

·
Registered
678 Posts
I just remove the right-side only. You have to remove at least one of the calipers because they "ride" inside of the wheel outside width. When you try to pull the wheel/tyre out, the calipers contact the rim because they are closer together (when both calipers remain mounted) than the width of the wheel rim.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Try mounting that T-Valve so that the 90* faces the right-side of the rim. That way you have decent access when you are on the side-stand.

Reactions: tamathumper

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just remove the right-side only. You have to remove at least one of the calipers because they "ride" inside of the wheel outside width. When you try to pull the wheel/tyre out, the calipers contact the rim because they are closer together (when both calipers remain mounted) than the width of the wheel rim.
So there is no problem sliding the rotor back into the left caliper when reinstalling the wheel?

·
Registered
985 Posts
So there is no problem sliding the rotor back into the left caliper when reinstalling the wheel?
Nope, no more of a problem than when you remove the caliper and then reinstall it. Just spread the pads a little and it will accept the rotor just fine.

Reactions: mrpeace

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
If you do spread the brake pads, pump the brake handle and foot pedal AFTER reinstalling the wheel and BEFORE riding the bike. This will push the pads back to the rotor and prevent a feeling of NO BRAKES when you first ride and apply the brakes.

Reactions: doug of no fl

·
Registered
678 Posts
I don't even bother trying to push those pucks back...on either front caliper when I remove the rotors/wheels. I do, however, avoid squeezing with the brake lever or pedal without the rotors in place like the PLAGUE !!

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
I don't even bother trying to push those pucks back...on either front caliper when I remove the rotors/wheels. I do, however, avoid squeezing with the brake lever or pedal without the rotors in place like the PLAGUE !!

I use a piece of 1/4 plywood pushed between the brake pads when I remove the wheels. This stops any problem with accidentally pushing the levers.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
T-Stems

Try mounting that T-Valve so that the 90* faces the right-side of the rim. That way you have decent access when you are on the side-stand.
I have mine pointed left as I always have the bike on the center stand when adding / removing air from the tires. I never get down there to check the air pressure because my TPMS handles the pressure checks.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Often when you push back one side the other side pushes out, so stick something in there which is not a bad idea on both sides anyway.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts