GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. For many years I have trailered various Goldwings. The Gl1800 is the only wing that I have ever blown fork seals while trailering, and this has happened twice. {ouch).

So I assume I have over-compressed the forks? Is there a good rule of thumb for compressing the forks?

Note: I use soft ties around the tree.

Next, what are thoughts about having the bike in gear...or not in gear when towing?

Note: I tie the bike down with a minimum of 6 straps, 4 of which are on the frame. I also secure the rear wheel to prevent sliding left to right.

Thanks.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I haven’t trailered mine but have seen how some secure theirs. Use a 12 to18” soft strap around both sides of forks above the fork brace location. Use enough pressure to see the front pull down. A strap on either side of bike at crash bars and one on trailer hitch if you have one. I assume you use a wheel chock even still don’t put it in gear. You don’t want to take a chance of damaging your tranny.

·
Registered
5,766 Posts
If you slide a couple of short (18 in. long or so)2x6's under the under the engine before you cinch it down, you won't compress the forks far enough to damage them and it will be rock solid. YMMV

·
Registered
360 Posts
I trailed my 12 GW from Michigan to Cali this summer. ( I rode their to pick up the wife and ride home with her... but we ended trailering :( ) Oh well happy wife... :)

I used tie downs on the front tip over protectors and also took the side panels off (like when you check the battery and the oil level) and ran my tie downs around the frame and back to the d-ring in the trailer.

I checked each tie down every time I stopped for gas or a bio break. 2,500 miles with no problems and no blown seals.

"if" you put a cover on your bike for the trip make sure it is a 'trailer cover' and not just a cover. The wind will probably shred a non-trailer cover.

good luck.

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
I secured my wing on the trailer using a Harbor Freight locking chock which was bolted to the floor. It was necessary to use a cut off wheel angle grinder to cut the rear part of the chock and attach a 2x4 to keep the wing's tire from getting wedged into the nose part. Two "infinite" straps through the tree and that's it. Many many miles and no mishaps. I don't recommend covering a bike on an open trailer.

Harbor Freight locking chock >click here<

Two "infinite" straps > click here<

Attachments

·
Registered
5,766 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
I'm an avid fan of the short soft ties looped thru themselves around the risers and down thru the tunnels attached to ratchet straps attached to the trailer straight forward (not outwards that rubs body panels in the tunnels), a second set of ratchet straps from the engine guard bars out to the front corners of the trailer, and finally a third from the rear guard bars attached slightly to the rear to keep the rear tire from bouncing and sliding around.

And a Pingel!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts