GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to go with a buddy and his wife and me and my wife.We were going to go through Sault Ste. Marie get on 17 and go though Sudbury and North Bay.Go past Forest Lea hit 41 south go to route 2 in Napanee east .Take 2 to the Thousand Islands Parkway and take it in to Johnstown .From there I going back into Vermont than I know where I want to go from there.
So I open for suggestions along this route or this going to be pretty boringTHANKS

·
IronMan
17,636 Posts
GUESS NO CANADIANS THAT PART OF COUNTRY ! :laugh: FREE BUMP

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
If you have some time, there are great loops that take you the way you want to go. 17 is a nice highway but it is one lane in each direction for most of it. A lot of trucks use it. When I get home from Americade, I can assist you. If you look for motorcycle loops northern Ontario, you will find some good riding roads. The trip around Lake superior is a great ride.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you have some time, there are great loops that take you the way you want to go. 17 is a nice highway but it is one lane in each direction for most of it. A lot of trucks use it. When I get home from Americade, I can assist you. If you look for motorcycle loops northern Ontario, you will find some good riding roads. The trip around Lake superior is a great ride.
What are some good roads to get there even if it means it is some what out the way.
I want to end up by Thousand Island Parkway then I was going into Vermont

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
I'd be a fan of taking 69 south from Sudbury to Parry Sound and 518 or 124 across to 11 and then south to Huntsville (or 11 south from North bay down to Huntsville) and then from Huntsville taking 60 across thru Algonquin Park to 41.

Fwiw, most of that part of 11 is a 4 laner as is some of 69.

(Of course 17 would be a lot shorter and quicker.)

518 is very 'rural' but we usually try to ride it at least once a year.

Maybe @RRIXX will pipe in. He's from Ottawa area, so will be more familiar with 17 and with the roads east of Algonquin.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd be a fan of taking 69 south from Sudbury to Parry Sound and 518 or 124 across to 11 and then south to Huntsville (or 11 south from North bay down to Huntsville) and then from Huntsville taking 60 across thru Algonquin Park to 41.

Fwiw, most of that part of 11 is a 4 laner as is some of 69.

(Of course 17 would be a lot shorter and quicker.)

518 is very 'rural' but we usually try to ride it at least once a year.

Maybe @RRIXX will pipe in. He's from Ottawa area, so will be more familiar with 17 and with the roads east of Algonquin.
Thanks Farmguy ,I do have the time that looks like a real interesting route.It is all paved roads Right
Maybe we will see you on route

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
Thanks Farmguy ,I do have the time that looks like a real interesting route.It is all paved roads Right
Maybe we will see you on route
Yes, no gravel, but short section of east end of 518 might not have centreline painted.

Parry sound/Huntsville/Orillia area is 'cottage country'. Lots o scenery, cooked roads and elevation changes.

If you have lots of time and/or want to explore the area, 141 across thru Rosseau, '118 West' thru Port Carling, and 169 back across thru Bala to Gravenhurst could burn up much of an enjoyable day.

118 from Bracebridge to Haliburton is probably a good ride also, but for some reason we haven't been on it for years.

We sometimes do Parry Sound area to 518 to 11, 60 across thru Algonquin, turn back on 60 to 35, south to 117, west to 11, south to Bracebridge, 118 to Port Carling, 7 and 632 to Rosseau (small roads, might need to zoom in on google), 141 back to 69/400 to Parry Sound area.

As you are probably now guessing, we generally enjoy all the roads in that cottage country area.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, no gravel, but short section of east end of 518 might not have centreline painted.

Parry sound/Huntsville/Orillia area is 'cottage country'. Lots o scenery, cooked roads and elevation changes.

If you have lots of time and/or want to explore the area, 141 across thru Rosseau, '118 West' thru Port Carling, and 169 back across thru Bala to Gravenhurst could burn up much of an enjoyable day.

118 from Bracebridge to Haliburton is probably a good ride also, but for some reason we haven't been on it for years.

We sometimes do Parry Sound area to 518 to 11, 60 across thru Algonquin, turn back on 60 to 35, south to 117, west to 11, south to Bracebridge, 118 to Port Carling, 7 and 632 to Rosseau (small roads, might need to zoom in on google), 141 back to 69/400 to Parry Sound area.

As you are probably now guessing, we generally enjoy all the roads in that cottage country area.
Thanks again Farmguy ,looks like we got some nice routes to check out
Maybe we will meet you on road ,if you see black goldwing that would be me,and red trike together give us wave:wink2:

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks again Farmguy ,looks like we got some nice routes to check out
Maybe we will meet you on road ,if you see black goldwing that would be me,and red trike together give us wave:wink2:
How busy would it be if we went though there around July 8
I mean as far as getting motel rooms

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
How busy would it be if we went though there around July 8
I mean as far as getting motel rooms
Unless there is some sort of special event I'd think it wouldn't be too much of a problem. The Cdn holiday is Jul 1, so the previous weekend. But it is the start of the summer season so there will be lots of activity.

Do you prefer the chains or the mom/pop places?

Chains will mean you will likely end up in in of the larger centres.
I'd guess that rooms might be harder to find on Fri/Sat than other nights. Weekend traffic will definitely be heavier than during the week.

Imo, there are more choices of places to stay, and places to eat, in Huntsville.
OTOH, it's only about an hour between any of Huntsville/Parry Sound/Gravenhurst so choices are wide open.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts