GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe I am ready to trike my 2010 Wing but undecided as to which kit to choose. Please tell me why you chose you particular kit.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
I ride a Hannigan and after test riding a Roadsmith, CSC, and Motor Trike I found I simply liked it the best of the bunch. I was leaning towards a Roadsmith, but the one I test rode had the forks just a bit out of adjustment and it caused me and the wife to both to tend to lean forward a bit. For me it put pressure on my arms from the little extra weight transferred there. I now have around 72K on the Hannigan and have no complaints. Choosing a kit is like buying a Ford or Chevy. Whichever lights your fire. Ride all you can and make a decision and go for it.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
I chose a CSC Cobra for;
-independent rear suspension
-linked brakes
-aux fuel tank directly connected to oem tank
-a good installer nearby
-it looks good

I'm very happy with it. Just got home from a 1200 mile loop ride through Lake Tahoe, Napa Valley and Highway 1.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Wife and I each have a MT conversion. I have also ridden CSC and RS. Really, it's whatever floats your boat. All three are great products. The extra gas tank on the RS is a really neat feature. We also owned a Lehman. Not impressed. The must have for us was IRS, front end rake and Super Brace. But each to their own.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
My wife owns a Roadsmith and loves it. I would recommend buying a trike and selling your bike. I think money wise you would come out ahead. To trike your 2010 you will spend $16,000 or little more. Finished an average 2010 trike is worth $20,000 to $22,000. You figure if you can sell your bike for 10 or 12 thousand ad 10 and buy a trike.

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
I went with a reverse trike, Endeavor. Less expensive to modify my wing and it retains the original saddlebags and trunk and it has extra storage in front. Fuel mileage is reasonable if I keep it under 80, LOL There's lots of trikes out there but choose a good installer. YMMV

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I have a MT Razor. I liked the newer design - not the rounded back fenders that other trikes have with the same taillights.

Get what you like as you will probably have it for a long time.

As others mentioned - the installer is very important.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Not ready yet, but the research has been done

I have looked at the Roadsmith and the CSC. Currently we are contemplating a conversion, but unknown if it will be 5 months or 5 years; however, we have some extreme trips planned for retirement and 3 wheels appears to be the most reasonable.

While I loved both kits, I would currently choose the CSC based on just 4 issues.
1. CSC retains the factory linked brakes and ABS
2. CSC has upgraded performance brake options (and since I intend on pulling a trailer, braking will be my #1 priority)
3. CSC has approximately 50% more on-trike storage then the RS
4. CSC has optional rear springs which appear to be more in-line with towing a trailer

I wish the additional fuel tank was as large as the RS and the front end of the Eurowing looks interesting (cannot get enough information on the rest of the conversion) and it is being offered as a separate conversion (uses a CT in the front).

Since I have some time to wait, maybe the options will narrow in these areas.

I have been looking for used trikes, to circumvent the $15,000 conversion and have found much fewer CSC conversions for sale on the open market, but that may because there are less sales of this kit (I do not think so, as a large majority I see in western FL are CSC.

These 2 (RS and CSC) currently would be my choices based on today's information. :nerd:

·
Registered
960 Posts
Dont forget that California Sidecar also is the only trike company to offer a 5 year unlimited miles warranty. As far as installers, if you go that route, keep Harold Pollard, owner of Complete Cycle in Rome GA in mind. His prices were way lower than any other CSC installer I could find in between Wisconsin and Florida. That's why I chose him and was very satisfied with the work.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
I have looked at the Roadsmith and the CSC. Currently we are contemplating a conversion, but unknown if it will be 5 months or 5 years; however, we have some extreme trips planned for retirement and 3 wheels appears to be the most reasonable.

While I loved both kits, I would currently choose the CSC based on just 4 issues.
1. CSC retains the factory linked brakes and ABS
2. CSC has upgraded performance brake options (and since I intend on pulling a trailer, braking will be my #1 priority)
3. CSC has approximately 50% more on-trike storage then the RS
4. CSC has optional rear springs which appear to be more in-line with towing a trailer

I wish the additional fuel tank was as large as the RS and the front end of the Eurowing looks interesting (cannot get enough information on the rest of the conversion) and it is being offered as a separate conversion (uses a CT in the front).

Since I have some time to wait, maybe the options will narrow in these areas.

I have been looking for used trikes, to circumvent the $15,000 conversion and have found much fewer CSC conversions for sale on the open market, but that may because there are less sales of this kit (I do not think so, as a large majority I see in western FL are CSC.

These 2 (RS and CSC) currently would be my choices based on today's information. :nerd:

CSCs aux fuel tank is 3.5 gallons, giving you a total of 10. The aux tank is directly connected to the main tank so you never have to worry about it. Functionally, it is a single 10-gallon tank. I get around 30-32 mpg cruising at 75mph, so my range is 300 miles. I never ride that far between stops so, for me, range is now never an issue. Because the tanks are at the same elevation, the low fuel light comes on after about 7 gallons are consumed giving me, in effect, a 3-gallon reserve, good for about 90-100 miles.
On a recent trip, my fuel light came on in Cambria, CA, where gas was $4.50 per gallon, so I just rode on to San Luis Obispo, 35 miles, where gas was $3.50 per gallon.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Thanks

Thanks PW,

When looking for an installer, too far may not be considered. Up north by my previous home is Trikes by Rodney in Zanesville OH. Heard a lot of good things about his quality, so GA would not be out of the question.

I also agree 10 gallons is probably sufficient and the CSC fuel tank is inside the structure. My long-term (bucket list) trip would take me to AK, so the 2 extra gallons would just be a comfort factor. Going to AK, 60 miles could be very well needed (or feel that way), especially in AB, YT, and BC, both for availability and for quality of fuel. :nerd:

·
Registered
441 Posts
We looked at several trike companies and ended up with CSC. Very happy.
We are near the factory in Va so they did the install.
I think most of the conversions are good and it comes down to who's styling you like best.
Also the installer make a big difference, most complaints I've heard seem to come down to installer problems.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Trebor1978 when I had mine done, I had a solid date in place for the installation and stayed at a hotel in town while it was being done. The installation was completed in just under 2 days and I was encouraged to hang out in the shop to watch while the conversion work was being done. I was even loaned a motorcycle to use while the work was being done on mine. It was a bit of a distance for me to go too but worked out well.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Check with Motor Trike in Troup Texas. Very knowledgeable and friendly. Professional to the max. Great add on.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I went with a reverse trike, Endeavor. Less expensive to modify my wing and it retains the original saddlebags and trunk and it has extra storage in front. Fuel mileage is reasonable if I keep it under 80, LOL There's lots of trikes out there but choose a good installer. YMMV
Pooch, do most folks run a car tire on the back of the "reverse trikes"? I assume a MC tire would wear quickly?

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
Pooch, do most folks run a car tire on the back of the "reverse trikes"? I assume a MC tire would wear quickly?
Yes, mine uses a car tire and Spyders do as well. Not sure about the Hannigan reverse trike.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I agree with Pooch on a Reverse trike, but mine is a Hannigan. I also use a CT on the rear, it is recommended by Hannigan. They also did my conversion at their shop in Murray, KY.

·
Registered
5,176 Posts
STAY AWAY FROM THE INSTALLER IN KEENE NEW HAMPSHIRE.....This dealership WILL RIP you off
This is all I'm going to say about that...............Use them at your discretion............... (n)

Ronnie

1 - 20 of 22 Posts