GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride about 15K a year and do a number of long trips where I pull a tent camper. Last December bought an 06 and am not thinking about converting it to a trike. Have not riden a trike or even talked to many trike owners. Most of what I have learned is here. I have two questions:

1. Based on the type of riding I do, what advantages are there for converting to a trike?

2. Do you run into any problems with Honda regarding Warranty after a trike conversion and can you still purchase the extended warranties.

·
Registered
786 Posts
ddh156 said:
thinking about converting it to a trike.
1. Based on the type of riding I do, what advantages are there for converting to a trike?

2. Do you run into any problems with Honda regarding Warranty after a trike conversion and can you still purchase the extended warranties.
Advantages, are pulling and backing a trailer is so easy, and camping means off road sometimes, and that means no problem with a trike, they are great off the hard tops roads.
and parking off hard top is a great plus.

Honda Warranty,
That depends on your dealers, most of them will take care of you, might be a few that will not. but as for Mother Honda, when you trike you loose your warranty, But most dealers will cover it.

Exteneded Warranty, same as original warranty,
But if Mother Honda is told you have a trike, such as Some of the big Trike shops will report it to Honda as being triked, so I have heard.

But as for mine, I never had a problem with it.
But if something ever happens to the bike, whereas you have to have a Honda rep look at it, you can bet it is lost.

B

·
0 Posts
ddh156 said:
I ride about 15K a year and do a number of long trips where I pull a tent camper. Last December bought an 06 and am not thinking about converting it to a trike. Have not riden a trike or even talked to many trike owners. Most of what I have learned is here. I have two questions:

Only you can decide whether a trike is for you. No matter what you read here, you have to ride a few. Each trike conversion has its own unique characteristics. Each has its good points and bad points. Just scroll down and read all the strings for the last year or so. That will give you some good, and bad, ideas about trikes, and lots of reading material.

But to answer your questions:
1. The advantages of a trike are comfort, stability, fun, comments from observers, etc. One big one is you can’t fall over. I like that one. You no longer worry about slipping on gravel. You can more easily ride on dirt or gravel roads. From what I have heard pulling a trailer is better than on 2-wheels.
2. Honda Customer relations says they will honor the warantee on the Bike part as long as – in their opinion – the conversion did not cause the problem. The trike part is covered by the trike manufacture.

Here is the explanation that I received from American Honda Motorcycle Customer Support:

Trike conversions do not completely void the factory warranty. They may however exclude coverage on certain parts of the bike that have been modified, as well as exclude non-modified components if their cause of failure is found to be related to the conversion. For example: If the wire harness has been altered to accommodate different rear brake lights for the trike, then any problems with those would have to be addressed with the trike dealer; And if the front headlight bulb goes out and is found to be unrelated to any of the trike modifications, then it will be covered. On the same note, If there are any transmission concerns, we have to determine if those are related to the conversion, (extra weight, load, two wheels, etc.), or if it is a legitimate factory defect which could have happened on a stock two wheel unit. The customer should find out if the trike dealer offers warranty on their parts and workmanship as well.
I hope this helps you, but you gotta ride a trike, actually as many as you can, before you make any decision this expensive.

·
Registered
175 Posts
ADVANTAGES are many. Like you will find you will not be as tried toward the end of the day, and any strong cross winds won't be as much as an issue. You will be able to travel on gravel, or dirt ground without worrying about slipping, or falling over. When coming to a stop, it's easier because you no longer must put your feet on the ground, or balance, so it kind of like driving a car. Pulling a trailer is also a whole lot easier to do, and if you must do a U turn, this is now the easiest thing in the world to. Once you're use to the trike, making turns should no longer be any issue. You will find on the open highway, semi trucks will no longer try to suck you toward them. If you ride two up, and as you because older, the worry of balancing is gone, and my case, the wife just feels so much safer on 3 wheels.
While I still have a 2 wheel gold wing, which I love to ride around my local area, my 1800 champion trike is now the only answer for my long vacations, and other longer rides.

WARRANTY. The new bike warranty could be an issue, if you go to the wrong dealership. I feel the best way to go with this to purchase, (or service by) the bike, and what ever trike conversion kit they, and install. This is what I did, both the purchase of the bike, and later the champion kit. The bottom line is, if your dealer sold/ service the bike, and also sold/ installed the kit, they will have to stand behind the entire trike, no matter if it's a honda warranty issue, or conversion warranty issue. I have heard, and read that if a outside dealer has your trike, and don't want to deal with a warranty issue, they can, and will refuse to honor any such repairs, and perhaps even report to honda that your bike has been triked.

Whar ever you decide to do, ride safe.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
My two cents would certainly include all of the above. I chose Motor Trike because the factory is fairly close to me and the local installer has a very good reputation. If you get a bad installer, you will have bad trike, no matter what brand you choose. I don't thing they make a "bad" trike kit. I adapt quickly to bikes/trikes so a brand was not too important to me. I get on and ride..after 1,000 miles, I am used to whatever I am on and adjust to it. I triked a '02 Wing last September with an '05 kit so warranty is not a worry. Haven't had any problem with the two wheeler or trike except the frame weld which the dealer took care of...

One of the things I like about my trike other than it won't fall over is I jump/climb on, adjust my privates, put on my gloves, tune in the XM radio station, put on my helmet, scratch, get comfortable on my Aqua-Aire cushion and am away. I have 650' gravel driveway and I don't have to worry about sliding or whatever...love my trike...won't go back to two wheels. Have fun.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Just be careful George, especially with the scratchin and adjustin. lol Harry

·
Registered
139 Posts
To trike or Not To Trike is a question only you, OR your S.O. can make. My wife is responsible for what is about to happen to my '02 GL 1800. I can only hope that it is everything and the bag a chips that all here says it is. As someone with no physical challenges, I am looking forward to the overall increased stability of the trike. I won't have to ask "What are you doing back there?" or say "Stop moving around before you tip us over.". As far as warranty goes, I'm hoping that since there are two Honda Dealers in my area who do trikes (one does COBRA, and one does CHAMPION) that this won't be a problem for me with the four year factory extended warranty I purchased from one of them last year.
My only real advice is: don't be impulsive about this purchase. Take your time and ride as many as you can. The number you need to ride will be determined by the criteria you set down for the trike. I had a well known trike dealer tell me early on that it takes an average of two years for someone/ a couple to come to a decision on a trike because of the number of choices and options in the trike marketplace.
I almost forgot, once you have decided on a trike or two an important part of the search (and time consuming too) is to look for an installer who is relatively close, has the right price and a good reputation
Mike

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Well, you have heard all the positives, and I agree w/ all of them. However, there is one negative that I can think of, and it really depends on you: If you get off on draggin' pegs, and the thrill of "rolling on" as you see the exit to a curve, then the trike will be a drawback. You just don't get the same sensation steering thru a curve as you do leaning into a hard curve and hearing the pegs.

Having said that, for me the trike is worth that small trade off. Especially if you ride w/ your wife in tow, it is much more secure. I can't imagine that it would not be easier if you are pulling and backing up a trailer. (Never did that, I have a Pakitrack for storage.) I think the trike is the "ticket" if you tour long distances and want more stability. As someone said earlier, meeting 18 wheelers are alot more stable. Good luck w/ your decision.

I

·
0 Posts
I second all above comments. If you are having problems or concerns riding a 2 wheeler, (or expect to), trike it. You will not regret it. Pick a kit design you like and find a reputable and experienced dealer to install it.

Going to a trike was the best thing we ever did at our age and condition. We love motorcycling and the trike lets us still ride, and do so safely and comfortably. Many of our somewhat younger friends who are still two wheeling are looking to a trike in their future.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
286 Posts
OK, I seldom post on the board but at times just can't resist. :? IMHO, there are really just a few criteria for making a trike buying decision.

1. Does it look good (to me)? - very personal
2. Is the price in my budget? - very, very personal
3. How does it perform? - very subjective - what is acceptable to one might not be to another
4. What are the maintenance requirements? varies by brand
5. How reliable is it? varies by brand
6. Reputable dealer
7. Dealer location (only important if # 4 is high and/or # 5 is low)

The order in which these criteria are placed will be vastly different by different people - just a matter of where individual value is placed. No single trike will be best in all categories....there is simply no "best" choice that can be applied to everyone.
Regardless, if you are not triking, you just don't know what you are missing! :D :D :D :D
Flame suit on.....
Charlie

·
Registered
108 Posts
See my posting on the Trike SIG - SafeStop vs Voyager vs Champion. Took me about 2 years to do it right. Happy with my Champion, but that's not saying the others are bad. Don

B

·
0 Posts
chaz_36 said:
Flame suit on.....
No way. This is the trike forum.
I have found the folks who have trikes to be the cream of the crop of this board. Always polite and friendly and respectful of others.

Oh yes, as to Charlie's #1 "Does it look good (to me)?" If you are married, what really matters is does it look good to my wife? :lol:

·
Registered
286 Posts
Trike Shopping

Don,
LOL :roll: What was I thinking! "Does the wife like it" is (or should be) at the top of any list.
:lol:
Charlie

1 - 13 of 13 Posts