GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

Considering a new Zumo for a Christmas present to myself.

I'm looking for someone to give me a comparison. Is it worth the upgrade from a 2610 or not? Already have XM via a Roady.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I'm always a little leary of the first generation of this type of equipment. Tend to hold back for reviews and any engineering changes.

·
Registered
19,069 Posts
Zumo- Garmin is the leader in GPS's

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
I have a IWAY 500C and have been thinking of changing and I have been a lucky one never having to send mine in.

I however am not what is considered a power user but do enjoy it.

My thinking is to get the XM and phone set up all in one which I think would clear things up and be a good set up.

However I am in no hurry but continue to read all that I see on the subject. It is just hard to justify changing something that isn't broke.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Rikkitik,
If you have been happy with the 2610 up til now, I wouldn't suggest the zumo. It is not as customizable as the 2610.

You would gain:
Fully loaded detail maps
More glove friendly layout (not a deal breaker in my opinion)
MP3 player
Better mount (I really like the zumo mount)
Smaller and more easily carried
Battery

In my opinion I think you should wait and see if Garmin makes some good upgraded to the firmware. So far I've had mine about two weeks and it's already lasted longer than my first iWay. I'm getting used to the smaller screen.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
I've made a few comparison videos - they're not all uploaded yet, but you can compare some of the same functions for the Zumo, 2720 & the iWay.

You can see them at this link - I'll be finishing the 2720 next and then the Zumo later.

I would think the natural progression for existing StreetPilot users would be to upgrade to the 2820 if you need Bluetooth and the 2730 if you just want the music features. If you must have the SD memory expansion or battery operation of the Zumo, you may have to adjust to some limitations and shortcomings that you're not used to.

·
Registered
7,214 Posts
I'm disappointed you can't view the attitude with the Zumo. I expect that feature from a GPS. What was Garmin thinking when they deleted that feature. I'm happy with my 2610 features and I think the new models should at least have all the features of the older models and more...not less features.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Roadie said:
I'm disappointed you can't view the attitude with the Zumo. I expect that feature from a GPS. What was Garmin thinking when they deleted that feature. I'm happy with my 2610 features and I think the new models should at least have all the features of the older models and more...not less features.
All you guys making this claim are right on the money. It should at least have the capabilities of previous units. Please write Garmin and ask for better operating features. I'm sure they will say that it's programming limitations. Well, those can be overcome if they want to.

Only pressure from consumers will make them add functionality.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
From the 2610 on, every successive Streetpilot generation has actually reduced the GPS features, while adding 'external functionality' of integrated music, XM radio, traffic, Bluetooth, etc.

Amazingly enough, the marine units (GPSMap family) haven't fallen prey to that same marketing strategy. Apparently, they feel that their boating customers are smart enough to handle the full gamut of features while their automotive/motorcycle customers have to be protected from themselves.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
The 2610 works very well for me and I don't see a need to chase the GPS technology brass ring at this time. Removing features doesn't entice me to "upgrade". I do like my GPS to be a full featured GPS without the ancilliary items (MP3, Bluetooth, etc.).

What the heck, I use my SPIII Deluxe on my F650, and that works well for me there, also.

When the right combination of additional features are introduced with no take-aways, I'll reconsider stepping up.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
jon wrote: Don't hold your breath on that one, Tim!

I guess that translates into being satisfied with the 2610. :D I'll have money to spend with you on something else. :D :D

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Jon said:
From the 2610 on, every successive Streetpilot generation has actually reduced the GPS features, while adding 'external functionality' of integrated music, XM radio, traffic, Bluetooth, etc.
Amazingly enough, the marine units (GPSMap family) haven't fallen prey to that same marketing strategy. Apparently, they feel that their boating customers are smart enough to handle the full gamut of features while their automotive/motorcycle customers have to be protected from themselves.
I think that they are dumbing it down for the mass market (me) which is ready to buy GPS units like they buy iPods and cell phones and the folks at Garmin know it.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
uneasyrider said:
I think that they are dumbing it down for the mass market (me) which is ready to buy GPS units like they buy iPods and cell phones and the folks at Garmin know it.
If that's true, then they don't understand the market. The curent zumo interface is quite simple to use, but lacks features. It didn't need to be "dumbed down", just simplified. The Lowrance iWay 500c is very simple to use and it doesn't lack any of the useful GPS fields.

The GPS is a great tool and should be able to display all the data available. Things like time and altitude should be standard on every GPS or at least available. The zumo only dispalys the time on the main menu page and can't display elevation at all. To me it's kinda like including a radio on your bike, but not including speakers or any other connection to hear it.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Rastoff said:
uneasyrider said:
If that's true, then they don't understand the market. The curent zumo interface is quite simple to use, but lacks features. It didn't need to be "dumbed down", just simplified. The Lowrance iWay 500c is very simple to use and it doesn't lack any of the useful GPS fields.

The GPS is a great tool and should be able to display all the data available. Things like time and altitude should be standard on every GPS or at least available. The zumo only dispalys the time on the main menu page and can't display elevation at all. To me it's kinda like including a radio on your bike, but not including speakers or any other connection to hear it.
After reading this, I'm glad I opted for the 2720 when I decided to move up from my old GPS V. My only complaint with the 2720 is that you can't change the data fields on the main map page. I'd rather have the speed and elevation, than the speed and time on the main page. At least you can switch map pages to get a field with the elevation, which you apparently can't do with the Zumo.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Rastoff said:
uneasyrider said:

I would like to see elevation too, but that's about my only wish other than what I can do already. Now I may learn some day that I want to do a lot of other things with a GPS and become a real addict for it but right now I see it like a cell phone, I pick it up and make a call. With the GPS of my choice it tells me where to go and shows me a picture if I need that much, on the bike it's waterproof and has left hand controls. The MP3 is nice with the handlebar controls and I am guessing that I am the majority, not on this forum but in the remaining market, simple and functional with no real learning curve. Time will tell.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Having the Speed and Elevation on the screen is one of the neat features of the 2610.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I never get lost. Everyone tells me where to go............ :D :cus: :22yikes: :a13:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts